Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2008, 14:27   #1

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Custom Jolly Rogers

As an amatur photoshop user, I have created a couple unique Jolly Rogers. Any other ideas out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenman Rogers Flag.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	5602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shawns Rogers Bling 1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	5603  

Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have two opposing thoughts about flying the Jolly Roger. One is that piracy is a serious problem. People are killed by them every year. The other thought is that sure, if you think of pirates as these harmless and drunken Disney like characters then its no problem to fly that flag...its all in fun. The reality is that real pirates were never like Disney characters and real pirates really did fly that flag.

Because of my background, I am in tune with the merchant marine who are the subject of most pirate attacks and not nearly as much yachties. For me, flying that flag mocks the deaths of merchant mariners who each year die as a result of piracy. To many mariners, raising the Jolly Roger is not be a whole lot different than hoisting the Nazi flag while visiting Israel. I mean, please have a little respect for dead merchant mariners and other dead yachtsmen by not hoisting that flag. Many flags really do mean something to people.

Personally I would never fly that flag but understand if others choose to do so as an attempt at humor. I certainly respect their right to overtly display just how naive they are.

I know you were just asking about your design. Both are very creative designs and I applaud your talent. Perhaps I rambled on a bit too much?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:42   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Damian Hurst's skull (and Tracey Emin ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:42   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have two opposing thoughts about flying the Jolly Roger. One is that piracy is a serious problem. People are killed by them every year. The other thought is that sure, if you think of pirates as these jolly Disney like characters then its no problem to fly that flag...its all in fun.

I'm more in tune with the merchant marine who are the subject of most pirate attacks...not yachties. I think flying that flag sort of mocks the deaths of merchant mariners who have died as a result of piracy.

Personally I would never fly that flag but understand if others choose to do so as a joke of some sort.
Well phrased. Part of me thinks the symbol doesn't really stand for what it used to, so no harm. And I can definitely look at the above and see interesting art. But I won't ever fly one myself. Just doesn't feel right.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:46   #5

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Na I agree, Actual Pirates should all be strapped to an achor IMO. But, walk into any WalMart/Disney Shop etc (especially in Port Towns) and it's main stream. I think flying a Jolly Rogers now is similar to middle aged Dentists buying a Harley and Leathers.

And as you can see, my two versions arn't real scary if you know what I mean.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 15:56   #6
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
I like the designs for your "New" Jolly Roger and I'm sure there are many more to be done. I also believe in this day and age it's a matter of opinion about current use of such a flag. However to make it interesting. Here in the marina where I am there is a boat which constantly flies a Jolly Roger and they are seriously drunk often as well as being known here as the "one's to watch" because they have been caught on docks where they don't belong and are known thieves according to the local police, as well as the Harbor Patrol.
So I guess it all up to the individual user as well as the viewer.
Old 27-10-2008, 18:43   #7
Kai Nui

On the other hand...
A few years back we were in a club race, we chose a better line than everyone else, and picked up about a quarter mile right off. We flew a Jolly Roger that whole race, and it was quite the site with us way in the lead, and about 5 boats chasing us along. It was all in fun.
We dress as pirates at costume parties, and have pirate movies, romantisizing pirates, in our collection. We know the difference, I am sure most people do.
I suspect most modern day pirates will not be flying the Jolly Roger.
As for respect for the past, it was a different time. My grandfather was also a merchant marine, and crewed on whaling ships as well. I do not feel that I am disrespecting him by adding a costume to my boat for play.
Old 27-10-2008, 19:07   #8

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have two opposing thoughts about flying the Jolly Roger. One is that piracy is a serious problem. People are killed by them every year. The other thought is that sure, if you think of pirates as these harmless and drunken Disney like characters then its no problem to fly that flag...its all in fun. The reality is that real pirates were never like Disney characters and real pirates really did fly that flag.

Because of my background, I am in tune with the merchant marine who are the subject of most pirate attacks and not nearly as much yachties. For me, flying that flag mocks the deaths of merchant mariners who each year die as a result of piracy. To many mariners, raising the Jolly Roger is not be a whole lot different than hoisting the Nazi flag while visiting Israel. I mean, please have a little respect for dead merchant mariners and other dead yachtsmen by not hoisting that flag. Many flags really do mean something to people.

Personally I would never fly that flag but understand if others choose to do so as an attempt at humor. I certainly respect their right to overtly display just how naive they are.

I know you were just asking about your design. Both are very creative designs and I applaud your talent. Perhaps I rambled on a bit too much?
After I stopped being angry at your post, (never post angry), re political correctness gone wild, I thought further. The US Confederate flag ( as apparently does the Skull and CrossBones) brings many, deserved, unpleasant thoughts to many people so I'll slink back to my snow bank, thinking my Civil Libertarian thoughts. However, perhaps we should, following your logic, reconsider several National flags which also bring unpleasant thoughts to many people. I humbly suggest that several nations are responsible for far more deaths than pirates. I leave the naming to you. Should we also eliminate their flags?

Yes, I'm ranting. Tough.
Old 27-10-2008, 19:16   #9

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
We are flying one right now. Just for Holloween.
Old 27-10-2008, 19:20   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
After I stopped being angry at your post, (never post angry), re political correctness gone wild, I thought further. The US Confederate flag ( as apparently does the Skull and CrossBones) brings many, deserved, unpleasant thoughts to many people so I'll slink back to my snow bank, thinking my Civil Libertarian thoughts. However, perhaps we should, following your logic, reconsider several National flags which also bring unpleasant thoughts to many people. I humbly suggest that several nations are responsible for far more deaths than pirates. I leave the naming to you. Should we also eliminate their flags?

Yes, I'm ranting. Tough.
I also said that I respect peoples right to fly the Jolly Roger. People can fly whatever flag they wish. If someone wants to fly the Israeli flag in an Arab port or fly the Nazi flag in Israel then be my guest...it won't be me throwing rocks at their boat. I will certainly understand why it happened if someone else throws rocks...not that I agree with it.

Sometimes you need to use some common sense on which flag you choose to fly. That there might be a worse flag to fly does not justify flying a less worse flag. Two wrongs never make it right.

I think my opinion is rather libertarian. I am probably one of the least politically correct people on this planet.

Cheers!

Old 27-10-2008, 19:36   #11

I certainly respect their right to overtly display just how naive they are.

Perhaps I'm just a little cranky tonight.

Hugs?
Old 27-10-2008, 20:00   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Dave...no problems here!

Old 27-10-2008, 20:08   #13

Excellent! I'll be in San Fran late next year. We should hook up for a chat. I think it'd be fun.
Old 27-10-2008, 20:12   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes...PM me when you get in my neck of the woods.

Old 27-10-2008, 20:24   #15

Will do.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, folks.