Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: A go or no go?
PWC Trip ok to do. 35 47.30%
You should buy a sailboat instead 40 54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2011, 06:21   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
5. When to go. What time of year (4 month windo) would likely have the best sea conditions? Huriccane Season?
See my previous email. Go online (free!) and read the pilot charts. Link included in previous email. The North Atlantic pilot charts give average wind speed and direction for entire Caribbean on a month by month basis.

Wind speed will be directly correlated with wave height.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 06:28   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
You are not exempt from USCG documentation of your vessel, you are ineligible because it doesn't meet the minimum size requirement.
And customs will ask you anyway to provide some sort of documentation (state registration or else) of your PWC.. if you come with ONLY your passport and no documents on your vessel your "cruise" will be very short.. (only the first stage...)
I'm afraid that you have no idea what you are going into.. This is calling for disaster
Even with 35' and above boats there is always a risk and always something went wrong and even to people with a lot of experience and equipments...
Old 28-04-2011, 06:31   #93

Boat: Boatless

Having sailed all of your route and many of the individual legs...I think that you are heading for a disaster...However...

You need a support boat and contact with a good weather router (buy a sat phone) if you are to survive the trip. Buddy boat needs to be a power boat or sailboat that gets halfway before you set off. They could carry the extra fuel.

An engine failure or a capsize, 50 miles off-shore, would be disastrous and life-threatening as you would be at the mercy of wind and waves. Most countries do not have the level of rescue services found in the US. Last time we were in the Venezuela Islands the Coast Guard Station did not have the fuel to run their generator to cook dinner! But sailing-buddy-boat could be, if coordinated properly, within 6 hours or less of you almost all the time.

You need to practice, try Miami to Bimini and back on a windy day with 6 ft seas with a sailboat for support.

You will need a good chunk of cash to pay all the immigration/custom/boat fees. Bahamas costs over $150 to check in.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 06:31   #94

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Sounds like a disaster on many levels to me! Don't do it!!! M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 06:34   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
Still need help in the following areas...

Need help in the following problem areas:

8. Exhaustion Tips for deling with difficult sea conditions and fatigue during crossing.
Dealing with fatigue...??
Just the way you're asking the question shows you have no idea where you're going into.
Exhaustion will be there: due to noise, lack of rest (see your schedule!!) dehydration, fighting the seas etc.. and THERE IS NO WAY but rest to avoid it.
Yes there is a way: stay home, play with your toy along the beach.. Bur far from me I hate those noisy things...
Old 28-04-2011, 06:40   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

Why don't you just install a bladder tank... its only gonna be a temp fix.. link it into your main tank
Also forget the Seadoo... they're just not upto the job and are unreliable... get the big Yamaha 750/1300... more reliable, heavier and more load carrying capability... shoot their designed to carry 3 adults...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 06:49   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Dealing with fatigue...??
Just the way you're asking the question shows you have no idea where you're going into. Exhaustion will be there: due to noise, lack of rest (see your schedule!!) dehydration, fighting the seas etc.. and THERE IS NO WAY but rest to avoid it..
Just to add to Alecadis post, in 1991 I took a small team around Scotland in a 17 ft rib in a week. Total 510 miles. We experienced everything from F1 to F6. We had a support crew and we were all young and very fit as we were all serving soldiers at the time. By day 6 we were all completely exhausted.

Okay back to the subject in hand. Are you sure you have the right boat? Thinking about it, I would rather take a couple of Zapcats properly prepped for an exped. In 2006 a UK team travelled up to the source of the Nile. Sadly a member was killed when they were robbed. However, the Zapcats had been well prepared. A light frame on top gave a level platform that a mountain tent was then erected on. Clever stuff, gave them somewhere to sleep and carry light stuff. Two Zapcats would give you the redundancy if and when one breaks down.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travel-graphics-200_423540a.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	26675   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_Ascend_the_Nile_7263 FM.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	26676  

Attached Images

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 07:52   #98

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I hesitate to do this, as assisted suicide is illegal in my state, but I think the idea of trying to refuel at sea in a jet ski is not going to work very well. I would suggest that you put together a valve manifold and connect your spare fuel to the main fuel line. closing one valve and opening another is going to be a lot easier than any kind of fuel transfer between tanks. If that somehow messes up your record because you've modified the PWC, I would suggest a "wonder pump". It works on the siphon principle so the "from" tank must be above the "to" tank, but it is extremely easy to get started and empties a 5 gallon jerrycan in a couple of minutes. Pouring fuel into a tank in any kind of sea is close to impossible even in my boat.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 08:28   #99
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i think jet skies are evil and that they should be banned from all waterways .. did i mention i hated jet skies?
Old 28-04-2011, 08:38   #100

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

Anything is possible, but extreme prudence is absolutely essential on such a small vessel. Forget a schedule. Even in a 38' boat I wait for weather. Don't fool around with Mother Nature or she will bite you in the butt!!!

I believe Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Kitts and Nevis all ban Personal watercraft. Check it out. You may be able to get an exemption, but will need to show a professional program to change their minds.

A chase boat will be absolutely required in all passages over 50 miles. This means from Trinidad to Grenada and St. Maarten to BVI's. I'm not sure about Venesuala, but you will want support for security reasons. Pirates are getting worse there.

One word. Mosquitoes. Them and no-see-ums will drive you crazy. This means a tent or hotel or accomodation provided.

As you can see, it can be done with the proper infrastructure and support. This all costs money and probably lots of it. Get fund raising.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:52   #101

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

I wish you the best if you are going to TRY this! I woldn't try it for any amount of money or to set a record I like life. The ocean has no mercy I have a bad back I'm sure after a few hours yours will not be feeling so good. I have been on a couple PCW'S when I was younger and I don't like them not my type of watercraft loud bad on fule they are toys sorry my thoughts. 7 mpg my sailboat is near double that at average 7-7.5 knots @ 1550 rpms not bad for a boat my size. If I were steaming no wind calm seas current conditions I have a range of 1000 to 1200 nautical miles with 102 gallons of fule. I am on the hill now due to my injury how about a Hobie cat or Prindle exct. At least you could have something to sit on in case the pwc sinks no fule just my 2 cents BEST OF LUCK.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 09:55   #102

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

I think PWC are prohibited in several islands... I knew a guy that had one on his boat and said he should have just left it at home because he couldn't use it everywhere.... but you could probably mis the places that prohibit it.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 15:11   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I hesitate to do this, as assisted suicide is illegal in my state, but I think the idea of trying to refuel at sea in a jet ski is not going to work very well. I would suggest that you put together a valve manifold and connect your spare fuel to the main fuel line. closing one valve and opening another is going to be a lot easier than any kind of fuel transfer between tanks. If that somehow messes up your record because you've modified the PWC, I would suggest a "wonder pump". It works on the siphon principle so the "from" tank must be above the "to" tank, but it is extremely easy to get started and empties a 5 gallon jerrycan in a couple of minutes. Pouring fuel into a tank in any kind of sea is close to impossible even in my boat.
Today, I researched some fuel delivery options based on some suggestions here. I liked the idea of a gas caddy. The pump handle portions are generally junk as the only flow a trickle with much hand pumping action. But it could be stood up on the back deck not taking up to much room so I could get a full foot on to climb back on should I get knocked off. (I am also thinking that in rough conditions being tethered to the machine might be a good idea as not to get separated. The machine is likely not to sink and having a quick release of sorts would be important. Coast guard said they generally do not recommend this but this might be the exception) Another option is I found a marine gas tank like for an outboard that was 20 gallons or close increment there of. The benefit of the marine tank is it is vented. The other one also but you have to turn the vent cap-not such A big deal I suppose. The local jet ski shop told me I could T into fuel line near tank exit. They also showed me a nifty 3 way valve-much like your manifold just a little more compact and was designed so you could drill a small hole and but the lever through the deck for easy and "neat" operation. They recommended getting a second fuel pump if gravity would not feed the first tank. I purchased the fuel caddy, 3way valve and a pack of hose clamps. I think this is just the ticket. When the caddy is standing it will have gravity working as the caddy tank is tall. Still considering using the pump to get the last bit out.
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 15:13   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyehh View Post
Anything is possible, but extreme prudence is absolutely essential on such a small vessel. Forget a schedule. Even in a 38' boat I wait for weather. Don't fool around with Mother Nature or she will bite you in the butt!!!

I believe Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Kitts and Nevis all ban Personal watercraft. Check it out. You may be able to get an exemption, but will need to show a professional program to change their minds.

A chase boat will be absolutely required in all passages over 50 miles. This means from Trinidad to Grenada and St. Maarten to BVI's. I'm not sure about Venesuala, but you will want support for security reasons. Pirates are getting worse there.

One word. Mosquitoes. Them and no-see-ums will drive you crazy. This means a tent or hotel or accomodation provided.

As you can see, it can be done with the proper infrastructure and support. This all costs money and probably lots of it. Get fund raising.
SKN Lifts Jet Ski Import Ban

August 23 -- St. Kitts and Nevis is lifting a 15-year ban on the importation of jet skis into the twin-island Federation.
The ban on the a small water sport craft, mimicking a motor-bike used at certain beaches in St. Kitts and Nevis, was imposed after an accident at sea involving a Jet Ski left a victim with significant injury to the head caused by the propeller of the Jet Ski.

“Over the last 15 years, the propulsion technology for jet skis has changed thereby eliminating the propeller blades in favour of jet propulsion, which is a much safer technology,” said Minister of Information, Sen. the Hon. Nigel Carty in a Post Cabinet Briefing.

Sen. Carty said new guidelines on how and where jet skis are to be used have been created and approved by the Cabinet so as to ensure that the use of the sport craft remains safe for those who use them and for those who use the beaches where they are authorised to be used.

He said that the lifting of the ban is likely to create new opportunities for water sport operators who claim that the demand for services in those areas has been growing over the years.

“This then can only add to the development of the tourism product resulting in increased intake for the local tourism industry,” Minister Carty said.

ST VINCENT AND GRENADINES DOES STILL HAVE A PWC BAN****I will work on approval for this project.

Grenada seems to be ok...
halsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 15:30   #105
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

Mate... your on a site with 80% old wrinklies who've either never roughed it or are past the capability to do so....
If you feel up to it.... Go For It......
I certainly would if I had the money or backing.... WTF... you've only one life...
Better to try and fail than never to try at all...
After you've done it and succeded or failed... then you can join the rest here with their 401K or whatevers....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, jet ski, pwc, record, caribbean