Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: A go or no go?
PWC Trip ok to do. 35 47.30%
You should buy a sailboat instead 40 54.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-04-2011, 00:17   #106

Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mate... your on a site with 80% old wrinklies who've either never roughed it or are past the capability to do so....
If you feel up to it.... Go For It......
I certainly would if I had the money or backing.... WTF... you've only one life...
Better to try and fail than never to try at all...
After you've done it and succeded or failed... then you can join the rest here with their 401K or whatevers....
What he said

Old 29-04-2011, 01:00   #107

I didn't read all of the many posts here but I wanted to let you know that I met a guy the other day on the West coast who was using his Jet Ski to pull his racing catamarin (sail) back to Santa Monica from San Diego. He said it was comfortable to cruise at 15 knots! (This is with a 30 foot boat in tow mind you!)
He wore a hemet, with a face shield and that solves most of the noise problem, and keeps the spray out of the face. Earplugs would be a good idea too. He had a little block of wood to wedge in the throttle trigger, which falls out with a touch (for safety). I would carry spare blocks of different sizes too. He had a pair of fuel cans slung over the seat behind him like saddle bags and some sort of rig to attach them. That is where you want the weight since the boat is designed to carry a person there.
You may not have the option but if I were you, I'd prefer to have a chase boat with me, which would be capable of mechanical support, carrying fuel, full first aid kit etc.
You will be completely invisible to commercial traffic and large yacht traffic while underway, and worse, if broken down. It is concievable you could work out a way to rig AIS so at least as long as you have power you would appear on their nav screens. Seems a shame to think that you would have to send out a distress signal for a simple breakdown.
Best of luck with it.

Old 29-04-2011, 04:51   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Mate... you're on a site with 80% old wrinklies who've either never roughed it or are past the capability to do so ...
Where do you come by such an offensive opinion?

In like fashion, Id note we also have some small percentage of (vocal) bombastic (hot) air bags, demonstrating more bravado and arrogant pretension, than good sense.

Nonetheless, its a great site!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 05:04   #109
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Cruising Caribbean on a Jet Ski: 24 countries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Where do you come by such an offensive opinion?

In like fashion, I’d note we also have some small percentage of (vocal) bombastic (hot) air bags, demonstrating more bravado and arrogant pretension, than good sense.

Nonetheless, it’s a great site!
And a few others who take life so seriously it sometimes seems they lost their sense of HUMOUR.....

Taken from Wikpedia
Humour or humor (see spelling differences) is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoral medicine of the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humourous (Latin: hmor, "body fluid"), control human health and emotion.
People of all ages and cultures respond to humour. The majority of people are able to experience humour, i.e., to be amused, to laugh or smile at something funny, and thus they are considered to have a sense of humour. The hypothetical person lacking a sense of humour would likely find the behaviour induced by humour to be inexplicable, strange, or even irrational. Though ultimately decided by personal taste, the extent to which an individual will find something humorous depends upon a host of variables, including geographical location, culture, maturity, level of education, intelligence and context. For example, young children may favour slapstick, such as Punch and Judy puppet shows or cartoons such as Tom and Jerry. Satire may rely more on understanding the target of the humour and thus tends to appeal to more mature audiences. Nonsatirical humour can be specifically termed "recreational drollery".[1][2]
Many theories exist about what humour is and what social function it serves. The prevailing types of theories attempting to account for the existence of humour include psychological theories, the vast majority of which consider humour-induced behaviour to be very healthy; spiritual theories, which may, for instance, consider humour to be a "gift from God"; and theories which consider humour to be an unexplainable mystery, very much like a mystical experience.[3]

But it is a GREAT SITE

INDEED.........
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 05:09   #110
Armchair Bucketeer

Old Wrinklies.........of all ages.
Old 29-04-2011, 05:10   #111

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

To truly honor the spirit of the great adventurers, Franklin, Columbus, Magellan, Slocum, Glenn, Shackleton and the many other that walked the wire without a net you have to engineer the trip so that you also walk without the net.

No return is where it's at, you step off and that's it. The great ones put it on the line, all or nothing. It's those guys that made no excuses.

Nothing noteworthy or interesting if you have a support boat. It's just an athletic event. What is the big deal if you just call up help and check out when you have a little trouble? Too rough...get on the support boat. Who going to remember that adventure?

What you are proposing now is relatively uninteresting.
Old 29-04-2011, 05:15   #112
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I propose that OP really makes it a challenge.

and uses a Bicycle
Old 29-04-2011, 05:47   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
And a few others who take life so seriously it sometimes seems they lost their sense of HUMOUR ..

Laughable doesn’t always equate to humourous.
Nonetheless, it seems to take all sorts ... which we have.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 05:58   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
To truly honor the spirit of the great adventurers, Franklin, Columbus, Magellan, Slocum, Glenn, Shackleton and the many other that walked the wire without a net you have to engineer the trip so that you also walk without the net.

No return is where it's at, you step off and that's it. The great ones put it on the line, all or nothing. It's those guys that made no excuses.

Nothing noteworthy or interesting if you have a support boat. It's just an athletic event. What is the big deal if you just call up help and check out when you have a little trouble? Too rough...get on the support boat. Who going to remember that adventure?

quite true,it's amazing how little you hear of the many who didn't make it!!
Old 29-04-2011, 06:09   #115

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Mate... your on a site with 80% old wrinklies who've either never roughed it or are past the capability to do so....
If you feel up to it.... Go For It......
I certainly would if I had the money or backing.... WTF... you've only one life...
Better to try and fail than never to try at all...
After you've done it and succeded or failed... then you can join the rest here with their 401K or whatevers....

Too funny and too true but maybe you shoulda added 'constipated' old
wrinklies. AHahahaha
Kenny
Old 29-04-2011, 06:50   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Too funny and too true but maybe you shoulda added 'constipated' old
wrinklies. AHahahaha
Kenny
Not me.. I go still twice a day.. like clockwork
Old 29-04-2011, 12:32   #117

Will any of you sailors see me if I have a tube style radar reflector?
Old 29-04-2011, 13:20   #118
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Do you mean the Mobri?

I had two of the small size on my boat, attached to the shrouds about the spreaders, maybe 10 meters above the waterline. The Mobri doesn't win prizs in comparison tests, but the commercial vessels I contacted offshore said we made a nice sized blip on their radar screens. The advantage for you is the low windage, so you could mount it on a fiberglass pole or the like. The venerable Davis reflector, hauled up to the spreaders on a halyard, is what most folks use.

Or, you could wear a tinfoil hat.
Old 29-04-2011, 13:28   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
Will any of you sailors see me if I have a tube style radar reflector?
Where do you want to put them on a PW?.. they will be at sea level on a PWC, no use at all.
The higher they would be the better.

I don't know if we should go on giving advice like that. This is crazy and I'm wondering if our collective responsibility is not at stake here, by indirectly encouraging you to go on.
The more I read your questions the more I think you have no idea at all of where you are putting yourself on.

With all due respect you seem to be totally out of reality.

And stop calling that cruising.. this is not cruising, this is a very dangerous intent with very few chance of success for being totally out of range in my opinion.
Old 29-04-2011, 15:12   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Do you mean the Mobri?

I had two of the small size on my boat, attached to the shrouds about the spreaders, maybe 10 meters above the waterline. The Mobri doesn't win prizs in comparison tests, but the commercial vessels I contacted offshore said we made a nice sized blip on their radar screens. The advantage for you is the low windage, so you could mount it on a fiberglass pole or the like. The venerable Davis reflector, hauled up to the spreaders on a halyard, is what most folks use.

Or, you could wear a tinfoil hat.

Tinfoil hat maybe a good idea though...I could count it as a signaling device

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, jet ski, pwc, record, caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: