Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 19:04   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Just back from 34 days on the inland sea of Lake Superior. Completely disconnected from the news of the day. Back now, and I see I haven't missed much.
Old 17-09-2012, 19:29   #17

Re: cruising and the "news"

Disconnected from cable several years ago. When the U.S. went to digital TV I never got a conversion box. So you know I don't have a TV on board. Any news I need on board I can get from radio or the Internet. Mostly looking at weather reports and buoy data. Also check into the Drudge Report and Huffington Post from time to time. Local TV news is a joke. Though some of the Patch outlets on the internet have good local news by citizen journalists without the editorial filters. IMO unbiased Journalism as we knew it has died. Mainstream media now is full of pundits and others pushing an agenda or slanting the story. Especially in the political area. I find my time spent on You Tube can be much more educational if you choose your viewing wisely.
Old 18-09-2012, 06:15   #18

One of the tracks on Paul Simon's Bridge Over Troubled Waters album ( my memory fails me as to which one) has a line " I get all the news I need on the weather report". Over the years, I have always thought the line summed it up quite well.
Silverbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 06:46   #19

Boat: Bristol 34

I left for the Bahamas the first of March and returned to the USA the first of July. In those four months I caught only fleeting glimpses of the headlines. When I returned I found that I was no worse off for having "missed" all that news. Instead, I learned that I had been much happier in the absence of knowledge of my fellow man's shenanigans.

I figured that if something major (nuclear war or social collapse for instance) had occurred, somebody along the way would have informed me to stay at sea.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 06:54   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Silverbeard - The only living boy in New York

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:18   #21

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

I'm a bit of a news junkie. When cruising I found that I can catch up quickly when we have internet access. When we don't have access, I don't miss it at all. I assume that if something really important happens, we'll hear about it. Otherwise, who cares? One of the reasons we go cruising is to unplug.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:43   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I would hate to be at sea for 3 weeks and then show up somewhere that has gotten into a dispute with its historical enemy and then become part of the problem!...pertinent news and info would seem to be very important for a world cruiser this day and time...dont want to show up on Sinkaku or Diayou (which ever name you like)without recent news ,such as "Chinese citizens storm Japan embassy over territorial dispute"....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:49   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

important news is presented on cruisers net in am on channel 22 here in mexico----someone will rat out the offending whomever who started another conflict somewhere-- but the most important news to us is---
is anyone missing? is everyone safe and emergency ham traffic, which would point out to the recipients any changes of note in the world as we know it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:56   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I would hate to be at sea for 3 weeks and then show up somewhere that has gotten into a dispute with its historical enemy
Along this line, I managed to miss the whole 9-11 event b/c I was off sailing. It wasn't until 9-13 that I learned the awful news, and then only b/c a fellow cruiser came into our anchorage and immediately came over and gave us the message.

After that we turned on the FM radio and listened for a few hours. It put a real damper on what had been a wonderful trip up until then. In the end, I wish I had been kept in the dark until we got back to civilization.
Old 18-09-2012, 08:58   #25

Re: Cruising and the "news"

It's very interesting wehen you listen to the news on a source like the BBC etc. Often a very different perspective than the propaganda sold inside the US.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 09:43   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's very interesting wehen you listen to the news on a source like the BBC etc. Often a very different perspective than the propaganda sold inside the US.
I'd hesitate to suggest that the "propaganda sold inside the US" is one source of news within the country. When you select a source, just like reading the Washington Post or the National Inquirer, neither reflects the propaganda of the nation. I enjoy the BBC just as I do the comparable PBS broadcasts from the US. I consider the Dailey Show or Fox News to be more sources of entertainment than actual news. The free press allows for this variety and I could not wish for anything else. That said, I too enjoy days away without the information of strife and turmoil and thanks that we have the choice.
Old 18-09-2012, 10:04   #27

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'd hesitate to suggest that the "propaganda sold inside the US" is one source of news within the country. When you select a source, just like reading the Washington Post or the National Inquirer, neither reflects the propaganda of the nation. I enjoy the BBC just as I do the comparable PBS broadcasts from the US. I consider the Dailey Show or Fox News to be more sources of entertainment than actual news. The free press allows for this variety and I could not wish for anything else. That said, I too enjoy days away without the information of strife and turmoil and thanks that we have the choice.
We're getting off track here but since you're a mod, I guess this is ok territory. PBS and BBC are just different forms of propaganda. With a different bias, if you will. All news organizations are biased by their particular views. Certainly the US network news organizations are biased as well. You just have to make sure that you are aware of the bias you are getting. I watch shows on more than one network just to make sure that I am getting news with more than one viewpoint.

The Daily Show is on Comedy Central for a reason. Fox News is not the same thing. People that dismiss Fox News don't differentiate between "news" shows and "opinion" shows. The opinion shows are just that. Fox "News" is just as biased or unbiased as any other news organization. Just don't confuse it with something on a comedy network that is not a serious news show.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 10:05   #28

I've disconnected before while on vacation or camping at national parks. One or two weeks is fine by me, but I worry about what I would feel going longer than that. Could I really disconnect? When I travel to England or Australia, what they have on the news except for world events and weather is pretty meaningless. I've never heard of the people they consider to be 'famous'.

If I were coastal cruising within cell phone range, I would use my USA Today app and BBC News app once a day or every other day to check the headlines.

And I like my news to have some truth to it that can be backed up and less opinions.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 11:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Yeah, wasnt talking about National Propaganda... talking about the source's propaganda....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 12:09   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

In 1999 while with wife #2 and her 3 chidlins, I was trying to get them to finish their homework while they watch Rim&Stimpie. They told me that the show was educational and therefore the work could wait. I told them that if they could not finish their work, the TV would be gone...they wouldn't and the TV was gone. I certainly did not miss it and their grades improved. I have a Ham onboard and will catch the BBC when I voyage. While in port I will use the Internet and select what I want to watch without the commercials.
Good thread Don.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising