Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 13:01   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Cruising and the "news"

Some previous poster mentioned that there is not any really objective unvarnished news source. I agree... hasn't been for many years and getting worse. The days of Edward R Murrow are gone. A casual evening of viewing or reading the MSM reveals that close to all reporters/journalists are in the tank for one political point of view or another. Forget objectivity... long gone! If you want entertainment then watch the 5 oclock but if you want the truth then talk to someone who actually witnessed the event otherwise you will only get what the reporter want you to know. I plan to turn on the TV on Nov 7 to see who got elected. None of it is very important anyway. My folks didn't find out that WWII was over until nearly a month after the fact and they survived just fine. I think I was 15 or 16 years old before i saw my first TV and that was in a Dept Store window... didn't know anyone who had one in their home.
Cruising is much the same... you are concentrating on the things that give you pleasure or need to be accomplished to keep up the lifestyle... news ain't one of them.
Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 13:50   #32

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Recently got back from 4 months in the Bahamas, all the news seemed the same as when I left. Only event that was important to me was the death of Doc Watson.
Old 18-09-2012, 14:19   #33

Boat: grampian 26

This mock headline I read somewhere pretty much sums it up for me: "WORLD ENDS AT SIX"! "DETAILS AT ELEVEN"
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 14:47   #34

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

I have been on the periphery four news stories in three cities by two different media (one radio and three papers), and let me tell you this for free, there was not one factual reporting of any of the subject matters. At the very best there was gross distortion of the truth, the worst case was outright lies! I have no faith in any news source whatsoever...Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 14:56   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If you want the real news...this is were I go...

Weekly World News | The World's Only Reliable News
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 15:28   #36

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here's an old quote from one of my favs, Kurt Vonnegut. It was true then and it will be true tomorrow. It was used whenever the character looked at the news. I can't remember the book.

"The world situation is desperate as usual"

Here's another one.

“Having a yacht is a reason for being more cheerful than most.”
Kurt Vonnegut, Cat’s Cradle

I like that one!
Old 18-09-2012, 15:42   #37

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't have TV, Do have internet, but not aboard, unless there's some free that I can get ! We just have to depend on the SSB for any news we get !! and thats mostly about other cruisers we know, and there where abouts. been good enough for me since 1969, when I got home ! never cared about the crapie news programs they are still as bad as they were back then!! As others have said I just want to know we are not at war with the next place Im going !! theres nothing on TV thats gonna make my life better or worse !! Just my 2 cents
Old 18-09-2012, 17:43   #38

+1, bobconnie... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 18-09-2012, 18:00   #39

Re: cruising and the "news"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I would hate to be at sea for 3 weeks and then show up somewhere that has gotten into a dispute with its historical enemy and then become part of the problem!...pertinent news and info would seem to be very important for a world cruiser this day and time...dont want to show up on Sinkaku or Diayou (which ever name you like)without recent news ,such as "Chinese citizens storm Japan embassy over territorial dispute"....DVC
Good point. Always good to have a shortwave radio on board when heading off to other locales outside the U.S. and out of Internet access. Back in the 1980's we took a windjammer vacation on the Phantome when the Greneda coup broke. I had a small portable shortwave radio with me. The Captain told me not to mention anything to the crew because he was worried since a lot of them were from there he worried they might jump ship and head back home. Likewise if you were heading there on a small boat at the time you might find things a little bit different than you had planned for.
Old 18-09-2012, 18:04   #40

Perhaps I should amend my previously stated opinion that 'no news is good news'. If you plan on an extended sojurn away from US waters and intend on returning in say, a year or 4, might be a good idea to check in and see if you have a stable coountry to return to! Capt Phil
Old 19-09-2012, 12:26   #41

It's not really a "cruising" issue. I'm on land and I ignore the news. Robert A. Heinlein once pointed out that the desire to wallow in the troubles of several billion strangers is a form of mental illness.
Old 19-09-2012, 12:57   #42

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

If you don't read the paper, you're uninformed. If you read the paper, you're misinformed. -Mark Twain
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 16:52   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

So the question is: when out cruising do cruisers still try to stay informed or do they finally make it to the "screw it" stage of just having a good time and not really letting what is going on the rest of world concern them?
Seems most think, for at least a good portion of the time, it can wait.

Other tangential points about news's accuracy..........well...........

I like what Michael Crichton said.

Media carries with it a credibility that is totally undeserved. You have all experienced this, in what I call the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. (I refer to it by this name because I once discussed it with Murray Gell-Mann, and by dropping a famous name I imply greater importance to myself, and to the effect, than it would otherwise have.)
Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.
That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I'd point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all. But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn't. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia.

So fuggedaboutit and go cruising. That is what I want to do!
Old 19-09-2012, 16:57   #44

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
So fuggedaboutit and go cruising. That is what I want to do!
Isn't that dangerous?

I heard the newscaster say it was!
Old 19-09-2012, 17:35   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
Isn't that dangerous?

I heard the newscaster say it was!
Sadly, that is one of the reasons no direct attempt is being made at the present time - The wife watches tons of TV and is afraid we will be boarded, robbed, etc, etc.

Tags
cruising