Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2009, 17:05   #61

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
What Happened to the pictures?
Click image for larger version

Name:	coober.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	7421

Name:	pedy.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	7422
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 17:26   #62

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
We just agreed on buying a bigger boat, a CT 41 Center Cockpit. Now we soon own two boats and need to sell one. I have been scanning the market, partly because we were looking for another boat and partly to find out what kind of money I could get for the old one. A funny thing is that, over here in europe, prices are unchanged on the second hand market. Instead of buying new boats people are holding on to their old ones. The number of used boats for sale are down dramatically (30% - 50%) depending on type and size. At the same time sales of new powerboats are down 50% and down 25% on sail boats. The accessories retailers have had one of their best years ever. A friend of mine is a sailmaker and he's fully booked the rest of the year. This indicates that although people aren't buying new boats, they aren't trying to get rid of their old ones either. Instead they upgrade and refit. Good news. How are things on the US side of the pond?

I'm with the "layed back optimistic things will be allright" lot here. I beleive the doomsday prophets are wrong. One thing that strikes me as particulary interesting is that the people who think that an economical meltdown is on the way, also think that environmental disaster is coming, world war and famine too Now I don't say that economics are good or that the environment is healthy, but things are not as dark as some make them out to be. My glass is half full!

To answer the OP. I do beleive that wind and solar generators are the future. Use NiFe batteries if you can come by them, they are sturdy and have a long lifetime. A solid fuel heater/cooker will make you rather independent of gas, but you would have to scavenge for drift wood. Fishing gear, a hand operated watermaker and a good system to collect rainwater. Then you should be able to hold your own for a while. Biggest issue is repairs and maintenance. A boat large enough to hold you and all your survival gear together with provisions will take some serious maintenance.

/Hampus
Old 14-03-2009, 20:25   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Maybe this thread can morf into how much does it cost you to cruise. eg:- Fuel costs, food, repairs, booze ect.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 20:52   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
If "cruising" can be defined as being at anchor 99.5% of the time, I agree that there are nice cruising areas where one can live for $500 per month or even much less. Catch fish instead of buying beef tenderloin etc.

I even heard the story of two young guys sailing off with just $500 in cash total. Two years later they ran out of money and had to admit more than half of it was spent on beers!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 21:06   #65

A good friend did a 4 year circumnavigation on a Tartan 30 with his wife. He was extremely frugal and had a new yacht in excellent shape paid for at the start of the trip. He started the circumnavigation with $28,000 in cash, and he finished with $28,000 in cash. Both he and his wife worked intermittently along the way. They had a great voyage, but it wasn't because they spent a lot of money during the trip. They toured/camped in a VW bus in Oz, and sold it for what they paid for it. Some people don't need to spend much money to have a great adventure. For some people, being frugal is part of the adventure.
Old 15-03-2009, 00:04   #66

If you don't mind me asking Dave, what kind of work did your friend on the Tartan 30 do? I have been to South East Asia many times when I had my import business. I made tons of local friends and was asked one time to teach an English class a few days for young teens. We had a blast! I drew a picture of the world on the board and showed them where Hawaii was. I couldn't believe they had never heard of Hawaii. I even started to do the Hula for them to maybe jog some memory. They laughed and laughed until we were all almost crying.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-03-2009, 08:12   #67

He was a P-2 pilot in the navy long enough to pay cash for his Tartan 30. He lived on his boat in the navy to save his cruising kitty. I believe he was in the navy a total of six years before setting off on his circumnavigation. He didn't work in aviation while cruising. He is the most frugal person that I ever met. Back in those days, interest rates were very high and he watched his nest egg like a hawk. He enjoyed life more than any other person I have ever known. A few months after completing his circumnavigation, one of the major airlines picked him up for a job. He was in the right place at the right time. He never smoked a day in his life, and at age 45 he developed terminal lung cancer. He is one of the reasons I started my circumnavigation with my family when I was 47.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:41   #68
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
YEA Dave ! I beleave in going now wile you can I started at about the same age- I have also lose a few good friends way too soon & this had something to do with doing it now-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:21   #69

When a few of your friends get promoted to the next life, you stop worrying about the economy and your 401k, and you get on with living your dreams. There are no survivors in the game of life. I made up a web page about this. I'll reproduce it here so you don't need to click on a link.

Name:	No-security-788[1].jpg
Views:	248
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	7435

GO AHEAD, LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Once upon a time there was an eye surgeon who decided to live his dreams. His particular dream was to practice medicine in underdeveloped countries and to sail around the world on a yacht. Such a radical dream meant he would never become rich or famous. Because this was such an important decision, the surgeon knew that he should spend a large amount of time looking into its pros and cons, and he should closely examine the impact it would have on his life. Therefore, he totally dedicated five thought-filled minutes to this decision. Those five liberating minutes were all he needed to start walking on the path to his dreams.

The surgeon now knew where he was going, and what was he was going to do with his life. But there were still several important lessons he had to learn, and those lessons focused on security, survival, and stuff.

He learned that when you travel on the path to your dreams, there is no such thing as security. It just doesn’t exist, and it makes no sense to worship at the altar of security, because security is a false god. Life is inherently risky, and the bigger your dreams, the more risk you have to take to make them come true.

He also learned that in the long run, we are all dead. Life has no survivors. Since you only get one life which is far too short, he decided that he should make his life into what he wanted it to be, and that it should count for something good.

Finally, he learned that no matter how much stuff you accumulate on your journey through life, you can’t take any of it with you when you die. Therefore, he decided to not spend a lot of time and effort in piling up a mountain of money and other acquisitions that would slip instantly from his grasp at the moment of his death.

Once he realized that there was no security, that there were no survivors, and that you can’t take it with you, he became a free man. He was liberated to live his dreams.

Deciding to live my dreams was one of the smartest things I ever did. Hmm. Perhaps it wouldn’t be a bad idea for you to do the same.
Old 15-03-2009, 12:24   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I think this Dave is a pretty learned and wise guy!
More or less, what he said.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 13:20   #71

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Some of us actually feel a need to contribute to civilization, rather than cash out at the earliest opportunity. Maybe a bit of the tragedy of the commons going on?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 13:26   #72
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Some of us actually feel a need to contribute to civilization, rather than cash out at the earliest opportunity. Maybe a bit of the tragedy of the commons going on?
I beleave you can "cash" out and still be of value to the people and civilization you come in contact along your path-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 13:51   #73
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
If I remember correctly from some of Dr. Dave's posts here, he in the enviable position of having done both. He's living his dream, and he's unselfishly contributing to society by practicing eye surgery in the third world and on Indian reservations in the U.S. A role model for cruisers? I'd say, "Yes", if you have some important skills to share with those in need.

Of course, many cruisers have already made significant contributions to society before retiring and living their dream. Everyone has their own story...
Old 15-03-2009, 14:01   #74

Why spend a lot of time and energy worring about something you have no control over. As a very good friend of mine said once the only differance between ordeal and adventure is attitude. Prices in Mexican marinas go up as demand increases. So go to a smaller marina or go crusing elswhere. Compared to last year the dollar is now stronger against most foreign curency. Who saw that comming ? Mexican pesso 15 to the dollar early last year it was only 9 to 1. I.E. dollar goes further. Cruise British Columbia safe beautiful and anchoring in coves is free. As for Piracy yep but it's getting better since the navy and other countries are getting involved. Stay out of dangerous places, don't make yourself obvious and respect others customs and nationalities. There is an old saying about worry and staying on the dock. If you never leave the harbor you will never something or other. Im sure someone will add it. Quit listening to all the hype and live life. Weather paterns change. So what. Go sailing. Quit listening to the media spin, go sailing. Oh as for fuel prices I just paid $1.32 for diesel per gallon. Last year over $4.00. Some clouds have silver linnings.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 16:35   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I beleave you can "cash" out and still be of value to the people and civilization you come in contact along your path-
I can really agree with that one. If I had stayed in my home town of steel mills. My input would have been limited. Instead I motorcycled my country and this one also. I have worked jobs from tanning animal hides to being a mechanical Engineer as well as a Chemical Dependency Councilor for adolescents. I always did what was in front of me. In school we studied Robert Frost and in particular "the road less traveled". I'll never forget the inspiration that gave me.
We all have different paths, whether it be to stay put or answer the call of adventure.

Tags
oil change