Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 07:24   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cruiser's perspective..If Trump wins?

ok so corruption was voted out of office yaaayy
peso against dollar is awesome--was 20+pesos to a usdollar at 2300 last night.
projections made by a prominent mexican financier have been to the increased rate of exchange peso to usdollar for a time. so expats here will have a fleeting feeling of extreme wealth. purchasing power her ein mexico is on the rise for usa citizens but depressed for mexico. we are still at 20 pesos to one usdollar. was projected to hit 30. wow. poooor mexico.
there is a bit of localized anger that trump won, but the locals here donot understand the potential ramifications of a clinton win. they only see the words from trump as spewed by dnc, which was a packet of lies and not representative of what is in the heart of the now president. locals like the idea of allowing legal immigration. just like mexico does it. they agree with that. i hope and believe the people of mexico will see that this is not an evil spawn in office, but someone who cares about the integrity of the nation to the north
as usa strengthens, so will mexico, as the interdependence is as strong as the physical proximity.

i recommend all read wikileaks to see exactly that which we managed to thank all the gods avoid.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:26   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm making a statement here in Mexico
I understand your "statement"; however, in relation to sailing and cruising, this display is a recognized distress signal.

Some might be fooled into coming to assist you in the same manner as they would if they were to see a red flare, or a fire on deck.

It's probably not a good idea to misuse a distress signal this way. Even for those of us that sympathize with your intention.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:29   #93

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Right now the EUR/US is 110.25. Go to www.investing .com for current rates.

The Euro is down over the last several months and the Pound is in the toilet from it's highs of $1.50Us for 1GBP and is now 1.2380 which is lower than it was on the 8th, Nov after falling from 1.256 on the 5th.

Go to the website I suggested and you can watch the bottom fall out of the Euro and LB as it happens.
And I did went to that site. The link you posted does not work. Contrary to what you said the indicators are pretty much the same as the ones I posted that show a raise of the Euro face to the dollar. The rate that si given on that site for the last 5 minutes is 1.0960, in fact not very far from what I have posted.
http://www.investing.com/

"The EUR to USD exchange rate advanced as a shocking win for Donald Trump left the US Dollar weaker....
The Euro to Dollar exchange rate today ((09/11/16): +0.3% at 1.10519."

Back in topic, I don't think this will have any effect in Americans cruising in Europe, maybe just in the way Europeans see them (for having voted in somebody like trump, not by his political ideas but by his rudeness), unless that Trump starts to make revolutionary international measures in what regards European/American relationship but I think that is highly unlikely.
Polux is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:29   #94

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That's ridiculous. And, very sad to see Old Glory disrespected in such a manner. Just my opinion, yet you should be ashamed. Please enjoy Mexico.
No offense but a right I have as an American.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:29   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I suspect a most immediate effect may be on US Cruisers' travel to Cuba. As opposed to the Obamanation's representations that opening travel to Cuba would have a positive impact on the populace there, it has had the opposite effect. Repression has increased while the Cuban/Castro government has reaped the financial rewards which have relieved it of the distress it was suffering as a consequence of the collapse of Venezuela's subsidies as a consequence of Maduro's disastrous policies on the economy of that Country. If the new Administration reevaluates the situation and revokes the Obamanation's Executive Order's as promised, the Cuba situation may change dramatically. Close friends of ours that still have family "trapped" on the Island have told us about the worsening situation there for their family members since the travel restrictions were eased. And about the "Potemkin Villages" visitors are allowed to see/visit.

In view of the foregoing, if one wants to sail the Cuba, one might want to get going before January 20, 2017, eh?
As far as I'm aware, Cuba is not on Trump's radar. When you say that your close friend's family is "trapped", what do you mean? Is there somewhere they wish to go? Maybe America? Contrary to the view of some folks, America is not the "catch all". America is not Europe. Thank God. We want immigrants, but we only want the best and brightest immigrants, those who love America and can INTEGRATE and contribute to our great country. We don't want immigrants who just wish to be parasites, forever sucking on the welfare system. Those folks should set sail for Europe. Angela Merkel is waiting. France and Sweden are waiting also.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:30   #96

Quote:
That's ridiculous. And, very sad to see Old Glory disrespected in such a manner. Just my opinion, yet you should be ashamed. Please enjoy Mexico.
Flying the flag upside is not disrespectful. Please familiarize yourself with flag etiquette.

That is the commonly accepted sign for Distress.
Shrew is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:34   #97
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
I'm making a statement here in Mexico

i am here in mexico thanking all the gods we usa citizens voted out the corruption and perversions intrinsic in a clinton win. usa does NOT have a traitor in office thank all the gods and does have a non affiliated non politician on office.
that is a good thing.
there is no isis supporter in white house nor child sex perversion ring in white house, which would have been the case with a clinton win.
please all read wikileaks to see what we managed to block from presidential office.
gods bless america , long may she live and thrive.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:37   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Flying the flag upside is not disrespectful. Please familiarize yourself with flag etiquette.

That is the commonly accepted sign for Distress.
You are wrong. I don't know where you're from, or how old you are, yet flying/displaying the US flag upside down is always VERY disrespectful. Burning the flag is ALSO disrespectful. It's disrespectful to the men and women who gave their lives in war to protect freedom, and the sanctity of the flag.

Anyway, thanks for your comment.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:38   #99

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I understand your "statement"; however, in relation to sailing and cruising, this display is a recognized distress signal.

Some might be fooled into coming to assist you in the same manner as they would if they were to see a red flare, or a fire on deck.

It's probably not a good idea to misuse a distress signal this way. Even for those of us that sympathize with your intention.
Huh?...I never thought of that. You're right....someone in the yard here might think my boat is in distress while on the boat stands and cover my boat with foam.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:38   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i am here in mexico thanking all the gods we usa citizens voted out the corruption and perversions intrinsic in a clinton win. usa does NOT have a traitor in office thank all the gods and does have a non affiliated non politician on office.
that is a good thing.
there is no isis supporter in white house nor child sex perversion ring in white house, which would have been the case with a clinton win.
please all read wikileaks to see what we managed to block from presidential office.
gods bless america , long may she live and thrive.
Well said! Thank you!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:47   #101

Quote:
Huh?...I never thought of that. You're right....someone in the yard here might think my boat is in distress while on the boat stands and cover my boat with foam.
The boat might not be in distress, yet something is amiss if the "hunkered down hat-over-face in cockpit" photo is meant to signify anything of importance. Which I highly doubt it does.

Tacos and burritos taste good. I like them.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:02   #102

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
You are wrong. I don't know where you're from, or how old you are, yet flying/displaying the US flag upside down is always VERY disrespectful.

No, he's right.

Flying the Flag upside down was featured in a movie with Tommy Lee Jones Called Valley of Elah.

And here's the official stuff:

Upside Down Flag
thomm225 is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 08:03   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I suspect a most immediate effect may be on US Cruisers' travel to Cuba. As opposed to the Obamanation's representations that opening travel to Cuba would have a positive impact on the populace there, it has had the opposite effect. Repression has increased while the Cuban/Castro government has reaped the financial rewards which have relieved it of the distress it was suffering as a consequence of the collapse of Venezuela's subsidies as a consequence of Maduro's disastrous policies on the economy of that Country. If the new Administration reevaluates the situation and revokes the Obamanation's Executive Order's as promised, the Cuba situation may change dramatically. Close friends of ours that still have family "trapped" on the Island have told us about the worsening situation there for their family members since the travel restrictions were eased. And about the "Potemkin Villages" visitors are allowed to see/visit.

In view of the foregoing, if one wants to sail the Cuba, one might want to get going before January 20, 2017, eh?
I haven't heard where Trump has a position on Cuba.

One possible advantage is since he isn't part of the political establishment, he isn't beholden to either side on this issue. Unlike career politicians who choose sides based on a desire for votes not solving the issue.

(not a trump fan but also not a Hillary fan)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 08:08   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
No, he's right.

Flying the Flag upside down was featured in a movie with Tommy Lee Jones Called Valley of Elah.
No, he's not right. And you're not right. And, who cares about Tommy Lee Jones? I don't.

I don't know where you're from, or how old you are, yet flying/displaying the US flag upside down is always VERY disrespectful. Burning the flag is ALSO disrespectful. It's disrespectful to the men and women who gave their lives in war to protect freedom, and the sanctity of the flag.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:16   #105

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
No, he's not right. And you're not right. And, who cares about Tommy Lee Jones? I don't.

I don't know where you're from, or how old you are, yet flying/displaying the US flag upside down is always VERY disrespectful. Burning the flag is ALSO disrespectful. It's disrespectful to the men and women who gave their lives in war to protect freedom, and the sanctity of the flag.

Does this have something to do with Trump winning?

People can now disregard facts?

Upside Down Flag

from the above link:

Upside Down Flag

Flying the American flag upside down is an officially recognized signal of distress.

Here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
thomm225 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum