Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:23   #76

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Cruiser's perspective..If Trump wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Well I think you should have a look at current currency spreads as you will see that the US dollar has recovered all the short term losses against the Euro and the pound. These currencies will hit new weekly lows during todays trading in the US. Both of these currencies are down .......
I don't make futurology. You say the the Euro is down towards the Dollar since Trump won the elections? Show us the data that supports what you are saying as I have showed to you data that supports what I have said, I mean the opposite of what you are saying.

"The EUR to USD exchange rate advanced as a shocking win for Donald Trump left the US Dollar weaker....
The Euro to Dollar exchange rate today ((09/11/16): +0.3% at 1.10519."

Euro To Dollar Forecast: Clinton Loses, EUR USD Exchange Rate Touches 2-Month Best Briefly
Polux is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 05:32   #77

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

Congratulations America, you've just voted your way into the political and social equivalent of Italy in the 20th century. The only question is...is this the 1930's or later?
stevec195 is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 05:32   #78

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't make futurology. You say the the Euro is down towards the Dollar since Trump won the elections? Show us the data that supports what you are saying as I have showed to you data that supports what I have said, I mean the opposite of what you are saying.

"The EUR to USD exchange rate advanced as a shocking win for Donald Trump left the US Dollar weaker....

Euro To Dollar Forecast: Clinton Loses, EUR USD Exchange Rate Touches 2-Month Best Briefly
Rather short-lived ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 8.31.02 AM.png
Views:	139
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	135588  
DotDun is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 05:55   #79

Market fluctuation following an election is a normal thing. Things will probably be a bit more volatile than usual for the next few days, and then they'll settle down. When Trump is inaugurated there will probably be a bit more volatility, and then it will all settle down.

Long term effect on cruisers? For all practical purposes, nil.
denverd0n is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 05:55   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruiser's perspective..If Trump wins?

Methinks it will continue as usual..!!
Each person will continue to choose their cruising grounds more on their own risk limitations than their locational desires/preferences.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 05:55   #81

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:

Right now the EUR/US is 110.25. Go to www.investing .com for current rates.

The Euro is down over the last several months and the Pound is in the toilet from it's highs of $1.50Us for 1GBP and is now 1.2380 which is lower than it was on the 8th, Nov after falling from 1.256 on the 5th.

Go to the website I suggested and you can watch the bottom fall out of the Euro and LB as it happens.
undercutter is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 06:03   #82

And like I said in my first reply - not much will change in people's attitudes.

During Bush 2000, ppl asked me if I was embarrassed and I just said I was sailing to get away from it all (regardless of my actual vote). After 9/11 people were kinder and grieved with us. Dont be a ugly American (or any foreign national whether German or British) and you won't be treated like one in vast majority of cruising grounds.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 06:04   #83

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

As far as an impact on cruising goes the biggest impact for Americans will be having to answer for Trump in foreign countries. I am sure that this will be an annoyance in the short term.

Other than that it would take some time for the political situation to have an impact and cruisers will adjust as the smart ones do now. Unfortunately there will always be people that misread the local situation and will run into trouble because of it. This may come down to simple bureaucracy as a result of policies implemented by the American or other governments.
undercutter is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 06:04   #84

Quote:

As stated before, this is just the knee jerk reaction of the market to surprise. Standard stuff. Anytime the market is surprised, there is usually a sharp drop...then once they have had a chance to digest the results (over a few days or weeks or even a few hours), the market returns to normal.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 06:47   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post
Congratulations America, you've just voted your way into the political and social equivalent of Italy in the 20th century. The only question is...is this the 1930's or later?
America made the right choice. The majority spoke, and loudly. Similar to the BREXIT outcome. 1930s? Thats very funny. No, it's the 21st century, and with Americans wishing to protect America. Anything wrong with that? Look at present-day Europe. Is there anything you don't understand?

Thank God Trump won!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Actually its both.
Actually, it's neither. It's Shangri-la. Thank God!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:04   #87

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post
Yes I guess you are right. Not only in Italy, that is a trend in Europe and in the world now. The fault is from politicians that created the conditions for this to happen. There is a huge distrust in Politicians these days and I would say justifiably.

The fact that those "saviors" like Berlusconi had turned out worse that the previous politicians is another story. Maybe Trump will be different...not much faith in that, but time will tell.
Polux is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:12   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm making a statement here in Mexico
That's ridiculous. And, very sad to see Old Glory disrespected in such a manner. Just my opinion, yet you should be ashamed. Please enjoy Mexico.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:13   #89

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I suspect a most immediate effect may be on US Cruisers' travel to Cuba. As opposed to the Obamanation's representations that opening travel to Cuba would have a positive impact on the populace there, it has had the opposite effect. Repression has increased while the Cuban/Castro government has reaped the financial rewards which have relieved it of the distress it was suffering as a consequence of the collapse of Venezuela's subsidies as a consequence of Maduro's disastrous policies on the economy of that Country. If the new Administration reevaluates the situation and revokes the Obamanation's Executive Order's as promised, the Cuba situation may change dramatically. Close friends of ours that still have family "trapped" on the Island have told us about the worsening situation there for their family members since the travel restrictions were eased. And about the "Potemkin Villages" visitors are allowed to see/visit.

In view of the foregoing, if one wants to sail the Cuba, one might want to get going before January 20, 2017, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2016, 07:19   #90

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Very close race so far, stock market going crazy.....Will international tensions make cruising more difficult if he wins?
Pelagic,

I asked a similar question several months ago. I was reassured that most people will treat Americans at the face value. The respect you give, generally comes back to you. We are not the president himself. Never the less there will be unintended consequences from this election. I hope those consequences are better than I imagine. But I don't have faith in that.
It's really up to each cruiser to present him or herself with respect for where you are. I hope our more experienced members are correct in that nothing much will change.

Good luck to you. See you in some anchorage some time!

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum