Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 18:41   #1

Crew for Thought

I was just browsing the crews wanted/available and I seen tons of crew avalible no exp willing to learn ect. I've also talked to many a sailer on the forum and they all tell me the same thing.....crew on someone elses boat. My point is how many of you out there have honestly took someone on and taught them the basics? I tried answering a few ads and I have a leg up on most cause I can navigate and many more skills I've picked up yet no replys. So it makes me curious as to how many of you actually take on greenhorns....just curious,
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:48   #2

Re: crew for thought

I've taken greenhorns. With mixed success. Wouldn't do it from an ad though, never. Only by meeting in some yachting environment: walking the docks, YC, cruiser destination...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:58   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i took on some crew on my way to ensenada-- the greenie is a fella i met here on this board-- great navigator, fast learner-- did goooood...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 19:24   #4

So there is a few...huh. makes sense with the face to face thing...was only wandering ...im sure there's a lot of frustrated ppl out there still lookin
Old 18-09-2011, 19:54   #5

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyfish9906 View Post
So there is a few...huh. makes sense with the face to face thing...was only wandering ...im sure there's a lot of frustrated ppl out there still lookin
I've selected crew from this site to sail with me to Australia from California.

You do have to "sell" yourself to some degree, show interest in learning facets of sailing, I'm not into ocean hitchhickers per say who just want a ride. When I read " that sounds just like my kind of fun boat, can I come along"....NAH!

My crew are eager to learn and I'll enjoy showing them the ropes, sailing, navigation, watchkeeping and log entries, the lot, so that when they step on another boat they have gained good, safety conconsious skills in boat handling!

skippers want crew not liabilities to nurse!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:53   #6

Boat: C&C Newport 41
Re: Crew for Thought

personally, i would rather someone who dosent know which end of a winch handle to grab but is eager and willing to learn with a great personality than someone with experience who is either a dead fish, know it all, or confused about who is the captain.

where r u located?

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 22:16   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulJack

Interesting. I suppose I am what you guys call a "greenhorn"

I'm in the situation you describe, to a tee. I'm interested in learning all facets of sailing and hopefully becoming a competent sailor, on other people's boats. I have no real plan to buy a boat in the near future and I'm traveling a lot, so crewing with others and learning as I go is the only way.

I guess I have a way to go with the selling of myself, I understand Jamel's point about people just hitchhiking on other people's boats, and that is not really what I am about, although, due to the nature of my real job (winemaking) it makes a lot of sense for me to try and get onto boats that are traveling to countries where I can find some land-based work. So I hope that isn't how I've been coming across.

interesting thread, I'm glad you brought it up. I have been thinking for awhile that I'd better start spending my weekends down at the bay lurking around wharfs and trying to meet people!

Cheers,

Paul
PaulJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 22:21   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
personally, i would rather someone who dosent know which end of a winch handle to grab but is eager and willing to learn with a great personality than someone with experience who is either a dead fish, know it all, or confused about who is the captain.

where r u located?

-s
I will second that one. It's incredible the amount of BS someone will tell you to boast their experience. Usually lack of. I'd rather feel I have to keep an eye on someone then turn my back for a second and hear the "glurk" sound of an expensive piece of gear going over-board.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 04:15   #9

Here is a tip to prospective crew: bring something unique, special, interesting to the bargain. Everybody says they can sail. And as a boat owner I already have that completely covered. Have something else. Boundless energy. Charm. Music. 2 women in tow . Philosophy. Something.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 04:32   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I did.

I also learned on other sailor's boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 04:52   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

The ads that always crack me up are the ones from people with no experience wanting to crew on a long passage crossing. Be real!

I've taken crew out that I found on CF. But for me to take someone I don't know, and doesn't have any experience, is kind of questionable. If I knew them a while ahead of time I would take them if I didn't feel they were a nut.

So if you have no experience you need to meet owners so they get to know you some before they take the risk on you.
Old 19-09-2011, 04:56   #12

Boat: Boatless

Daddle has it right, bring a useful skill, especially a maintenance skill.

We have taught several people and the ones that get invited back are hard workers who put in more than they take out! My friend Dick asks for a work list the day he gets on the boat and tries to fix one thing a day...he used to fix planes for the Marine Corps.

Biggest problems we have had have been the needy wives, girlfriends and mothers left on land. I have been reported 'lost at sea' twice when less than 12 hours late into port, once on a 500 mile trip and once when 2 hours late on an overnighter to Bimini

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 04:57   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

we have taken literally hundreds of backpacker type crew over the last 100 000 miles,many who had little or no sailing experiance,all i asked for was a willing attitude and happy nature.
we very rarely had a problem,and are still in contact with many of them via facebook......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:17   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I've taken 3 crew that were unknown. The first 2 admitted knowing little. They turned out helpful, and would be asked to return. The third claimed he knew everything. He knew nothing, and became a floating disaster. It can be a roll of the dice..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone

where r u located?

-s
Im from sandiego but I been in indiana for a few wks visiting family. I also found a boat im buying on lake erie next wk. But im afraid she will be stuck all winter till I get some exp to move her to the keys and beyond. I could be anywhere for the right situation ..as for "selling" my self, i got loads of personality...a musician and enough stories to keep anyone occupied for crossing or two...lol I was mainly wandering if ppl actually did take green horns on cause I understand the time and effort put into it

Tags
crew