Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 17:33   #31

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Re: Crazy $%#@ brokers say

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yup the boat broker industry is super broken.. Most brokers seem to be stuck 10 years in the past as they do nothing through e-mail. A hard working honest person could make a killing in that industry. Simply listen to customers, do the actual research and use the modern tools. Damn, its not rocket science.

Is that why so many boats have been on yachtworld for years?
Seriously though, we're getting closer to buying our first boat and I scan listings regularly and some of the same boats are still up there from 2 or 3 years ago.

And not to hijack but if anyone knows a good broker in the Chicago or southern Lake Michigan area PM me!! This winter we'll be going from tire kicking to hopefully buying.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 17:53   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I really liked many of the brokers I met when we were looking. So much so that I sort wanted to go back and show a few that we were not tyre kickers after we bought our boat. I particularly felt for the guy who took us to see EXACTLY the boat we wanted to buy only for us to discover that it did not suit us during the inspection.

But a few were patronising nobodies who I am happy to never meet again. I can't figure out the sort that treat you like crap in an attempt to shame you into a bigger budget. Maybe it works on some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-11-2014, 18:53   #33
cruiser

We've only had good experiences using brokers. Saved lots of money on purchases and made more when selling. It's inportant to choose the right ones.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 19:11   #34

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

I was a professional boat salesman for 5 years for one of the top brokerages on the West Coast. I have been working as a shipwright boat builder, mostly on high end motor yachts for the last 3 years. Boat sales was allot harder.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:20   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I don't understand. What is so hard about treating people like equals and being honest in their questions? Of course I would have my own shop, cause I never have liked answering to anyone but my customers. Maybe it's just hard to get started.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 18:30   #36

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 300

Interesting thread.

We just closed on the sale of our SeaRay 300DA Yesterday.

The broker we listed with was recommended by a friend.

After listing, we never heard from him unless we contacted him. After six months finally got an offer with the usual contingencies. Asked the broker to make sure the batteries were charged and start the engines since we haven't used it for a couple months, but he said he was too busy. We ended up paying the marina about $350 to check it out before the sea trial.

Today we get an email asking to keep him in mind when we buy our next boat, use him as a buyers broker etc.

Yea, right........
Bud man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 19:33   #37

Crazy $%#@ brokers say

Under the crazy $hit brokers say.....I heard this one a few times while researching/viewing boats

"This brand of boat (insert builder here ...Morgan, Irwin, Guflstar, Hunter, Whitby etc) is a sea strainer you don't want that boat unless you like leaks.....but I have a listing for a (insert other builder here) THAT's the boat you want !!"

Sailing somewhere.....
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 02:03   #38

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

My favorites, all from the same key west broker, " it doesnt leak oil, they just changed it and made a mess", that steering will loosen up she just needs to go offshore for a while", and my favorite. "that helm is A break a way helm, in case you fall against it, that's why the floor is loose and weak like that where the pedestal is" also good was " yeah i knew it had a Wind Genny and solar, i thought I put it in the ad"
Ad yet she gets all the good listings loll

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 04:03   #39
cruiser

One character on the West coast wanted us to list our Hunter with him. I asked why he didn't attend or put boats in boat shows, he said "I think they're a stupid wast of time and money... I've got better things to do." So we listed with a different well-known and respected broker who asked us if he could put our boat in the Dana Point Boat show the following week. We did, got lots of interest and the boat sold within 8 days of the show for $15,000 more than the first character wanted to list our boat for.

The first guy is still upset three years later, that we didn't list our boat with him. He hasn't sold a single boat over the past eight months and can't understand why.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 07:21   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
One character on the West coast wanted us to list our Hunter with him. I asked why he didn't attend or put boats in boat shows, he said "I think they're a stupid wast of time and money... I've got better things to do." So we listed with a different well-known and respected broker who asked us if he could put our boat in the Dana Point Boat show the following week. We did, got lots of interest and the boat sold within 8 days of the show for $15,000 more than the first character wanted to list our boat for.

The first guy is still upset three years later, that we didn't list our boat with him. He hasn't sold a single boat over the past eight months and can't understand why.
Boats SELL at shows....
1. Boatphoria/Cruisephoria
2. Buyers Missing Out on Deal Anxiety
3. Other people looking at YOUR boat...
4. Usually in pretty tip top shape...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 08:02   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

I've actually told a broker to go to the boat when it's convenient and call me so I can ask questions while he is on the boat. It's like pulling teeth, but one actually did call me. There's a lot you cant see in pics. I asked questions like "on a scale of 1-10.. how powdery is the gel coat?" as he was walking around the deck...
Was it worth his time and extra effort?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 08:39   #42

"that helm is A break a way helm, in case you fall against it, that's why the floor is loose and weak like that where the pedestal is"

That's so good, I almost admire their cheek.

Personally, one of the things I like about my boat is the fact that the helm DOESN'T break off if I fall against it.
Old 31-12-2014, 11:55   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
You know, I would like a thread on how to tell a good broker. I seem to fail to find good car salesmen, brokers I think would be even tougher.
newt, although we didn't think of it as a winnowing device, the list of criteria we put together wound up serving the purpose. The broker who won't look at it, or take time to look at it, is not one with whom one wants to work.

The other thing is to get them to understand that you mean it about your budget. It may be that some people are easily manipulated to spend more than they intended--boatphoria, as above--but that bait and switch business really gets my back up, and I'd ditch a broker who tried it, once s/he understood what I meant.

So looking for the one who is attentive and seems to understand what you want is worth doing, even when it means "kissing a few frogs."

Ann