Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 00:35   #91

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Nobody sank or ran into something last week, so found someone else to rip up.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:07   #92
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
All of my British friends think of America as being a 12 year old nation of rampaging capitalists.

That's called "snobbery."
Old 12-08-2013, 06:07   #93

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
What would a kinder, gentler way of dealing with this? Seriously. They set out with small children to sail to a random spot on the globe. In 2013...with apparently no defined plan of how this would happen. I set out in 2000 with 2 small children for a foreign country. I did a lot of research on how I was going to actually stay there. What would they do after they arrived and their visa's were declined? I hate taxes as much as ANYONE...trust me. I'm quite rabid in my distaste for government and all it entails. But to make THAT decision and then come back on our government's dime to "start over" is just infuriating. When I was at the embassy in Costa Rica getting all my son's birth related papers in order, I saw a guy waltz in to the embassy and start screaming at Embassy staff. Yelling that he was been robbed in downtown San Jose (red light district) at 2 am the night before. He had no cash, no cards, no ID. He demanded that he be given money and a flight "Out of this god damned hellhole country." ForEVER left an impression about entitlement. This jackhole's bad decision's all of the sudden become the government's responsibility. IF it comes out they were better prepared, then maybe I'll swallow my words. I'm an ER nurse, I deal with entitlement and cleaning up after people's bad decisions daily. And in the 10 years I've done this...it just getting worse. So maybe I'm jaded. But c'mon...this is just ridiculous.
Hillary, are you upset that these people aren't made to suffer more for their poor judgement, or are you upset that tax dollars are rescuing them?

I don't think the type of government assistance provided this family is any more shameful than other types of assistance. as a matter of fact, aren't ALL government services "taxpayer funded entitlements?"

Our tax dollars subsidize everyone's stupid decisions. The grossly obese cost taxpayers huge amounts of cash, smokers cost us billions, addicts and alcoholics are also quite expensive, car accidents on every road in America cost taxpayers, the sexually irresponsible contract diseases and taxpayers foot the bill for medication and medical care for life. People, who for years stupidly frittered their paychecks away, think nothing of asking the government for handouts to survive. Millions of Americans recieve food stamps, yet still manage to afford cigarettes and beer. I don't like buying groceries (foodstamps) for someone who was stupid enough to buy a car on credit and now can't afford groceries. People build homes in flood plains and expect taxpayers to buy them new ones when flooded! Outrageous!

Statistics show that HALF of all US households receive government aid. I don't see where this family deserves to be singled out because they received taxpayer assistance.

I suspect this has more to do with your own personal frustrations than any "entitlement issues" on the part of this family.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:17   #94

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

" seemed like a good idea at the time" My credo, with my instruction to family, that's what goes on my headstone, if there is any cash left after the par tay.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:27   #95
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

I blame Atoll.. he put Kiribati on the CF Map...
They were just headed there to reap the bounty offered by the 'Blond Blue-eyed Angel' who came out of the sea... it has become a 'Spiritual Place'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50   #96

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
They were just headed there to reap the bounty offered by the 'Blond Blue-eyed Angel' who came out of the sea... it has become a 'Spiritual Place'...
Amen to that
Old 12-08-2013, 07:55   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Atoll saved them the first time ,this group was going to finish what he had started and save them all with the anointing power of god (without that ever present US tax system)..When things went south they should have just jumped overboard and walked the rest of the way, its been done before!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:31   #98
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Hillary, are you upset that these people aren't made to suffer more for their poor judgement, or are you upset that tax dollars are rescuing them?

I don't think the type of government assistance provided this family is any more shameful than other types of assistance. as a matter of fact, aren't ALL government services "taxpayer funded entitlements?"

Our tax dollars subsidize everyone's stupid decisions. The grossly obese cost taxpayers huge amounts of cash, smokers cost us billions, addicts and alcoholics are also quite expensive, car accidents on every road in America cost taxpayers, the sexually irresponsible contract diseases and taxpayers foot the bill for medication and medical care for life. People, who for years stupidly frittered their paychecks away, think nothing of asking the government for handouts to survive. Millions of Americans recieve food stamps, yet still manage to afford cigarettes and beer. I don't like buying groceries (foodstamps) for someone who was stupid enough to buy a car on credit and now can't afford groceries. People build homes in flood plains and expect taxpayers to buy them new ones when flooded! Outrageous!

Statistics show that HALF of all US households receive government aid.
These are all good reasons to be upset.

Quote:
I don't see where this family deserves to be singled out because they received taxpayer assistance.
They are singled out because this thread is about them, not about anyone else.

Quote:
I suspect this has more to do with your own personal frustrations than any "entitlement issues" on the part of this family.
I think both issues are two sides of the same coin. Weighing them against each other proves nothing. If you are implying that it's her personal frustrations is somehow worse, or somehow negating an argument she made, I would like to hear an argument supporting this.

What I gather from this is simple: Other people get away with being dipshits while "we" seemingly are wasting our efforts on taking responsibility for our actions. And you point out "our" frustrations as if that means anything. Of course people will be frustrated, so why would you point that out?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:47   #99

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I'm fed up of paying taxes to bail people who make stupid decisions out!
Unfortunately, that would be pretty much everybody these days.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:08   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I haven't been able to find any info as to how prepared they actually were. Were they? They may well have been able seamen who had bad luck.

As a lifelong atheist I can't agree with their spiritual views, but I'm not going to contribute toward the ridicule they've received here. It seems that their poor treatment here at CF has more to do with some CFer's personal issues with religion than it does with sailing or seamanship. All in all a pretty disgusting display and not one of CF finer moments.
I don't think I'd agree. We don't really know their level of preparedness, but we can give it a good guess based on what they said. If nothing else, they seem to have been - at best - let us say challenged in their navigational abilities and to have been genuinely surprised by what they discovered weather-wise in the (presumably) ITCZ.

As for the part religion plays in this story - it's certainly an element, but "leaving it in God's hands" is antithetical to the sailors' axiom about never leaving anything to chance, and more generally the kind of preparedness ethos that pervades CF.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24   #101
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Add to the mix that great religious cop out...
"God helps those who help themselves.."
But folk still get pissed about Somali Pirates...
where's the Christian spirit... turn the other cheek...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25   #102

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

This story should be called "Crazy People Get On Sailboat and Do Crazy Things". IMHO the biggest mistake is repatriating them...they left of their own accord. They should stay gone.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:50   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
When things went south they should have just jumped overboard and walked the rest of the way, its been done before!
I snorted coffee out my nose, Thanks!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
These are all good reasons to be upset.

What I gather from this is simple: Other people get away with being dipshits while "we" seemingly are wasting our efforts on taking responsibility for our actions. And you point out "our" frustrations as if that means anything. Of course people will be frustrated, so why would you point that out?
I point this out because, just as Hillary's acrimonious diatribe was out of proportion to the event, my frustration at witnessing other people's frustrations is sometimes also proportionally out of whack.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
All of my British friends think of America as being a 12 year old nation of rampaging capitalists.
That's only the ones who aren't old enough to know why they aren't speaking German.
Closed Thread