Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 20:40   #76

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post

I don't think people are worrying. I think this conversation would go a completely different direction if they actually succeeded.
Funny thing is they may have succeeded. They are heading back to Arizona, after all. Again, maybe we'll find out what the bill is gonna be. But if success was Kiribati, I think they reassessed their goal after hanging out in a salty washing machine for a few months.

There are lots of people who think taking kids to sea in a small boat is irresponsible. Might cut down on time at the Xbox and teach some self reliance. Dangerous stuff...

Ill give them credit for not pulling the eject handle sooner. They may not have even had an epirb, you know false idols and all that.
Old 11-08-2013, 20:42   #77
o_q

Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Whatever works for ya..., life is indeed short.
Life is a lot shorter when you die in the ocean. There's merit in people "just doing it", but only when comparing to people who are stuck in inaction. If you're going to be lazy, and spend no time nor effort to prepare, you deserve what consequences await and the ridicule of CF.
Old 11-08-2013, 20:45   #78

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Their God punished them for trying to avoid taxes!!

Regards,
Richard.
Old 11-08-2013, 21:07   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Their God punished them for trying to avoid taxes!!

Regards,
Richard.
ha ha ..My god knows how to balance his check book,he does not need my money..Praise the lord and amen! (thats yeehaa to all you cowboys) Can I get a witness?
Old 11-08-2013, 21:15   #80

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
Life is a lot shorter when you die in the ocean. There's merit in people "just doing it", but only when comparing to people who are stuck in inaction. If you're going to be lazy, and spend no time nor effort to prepare, you deserve what consequences await and the ridicule of CF.
I haven't been able to find any info as to how prepared they actually were. Were they? They may well have been able seamen who had bad luck.

As a lifelong atheist I can't agree with their spiritual views, but I'm not going to contribute toward the ridicule they've received here. It seems that their poor treatment here at CF has more to do with some CFer's personal issues with religion than it does with sailing or seamanship. All in all a pretty disgusting display and not one of CF finer moments.
Old 11-08-2013, 21:35   #81

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck! They are lucky to NOT have made it to there!! It was a ***** hole 25 yrs ago. Im sure it has had little reason to change !! Im pretty easy going and even I felt unsafe there !! LOL
Old 11-08-2013, 21:44   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
This was going to be my post. Seriously, I'm sure it's our tax dollars that are paying their way back. And who is paying the costs associated with their rescue at sea? At least it wasn't a big CG type search. But still. Just pisses me off. That girl and her husband are from the generation when they stopped being able to keep score in T-ball and every kid that ran a race on field day got a medal. And we stopped sitting "Indian style" and started sitting down "criss cross applesauce." It KILLS ME. Guess what? I was slow as MAPLE SYRUP in JANUARY as a kid...still am....and I felt like crap when I never got a ribbon. But I excelled at other things and learned accountability. Puhlease.
Dont be sitting "Indian style" , Unless you compensate us! And no speak with fork tongue or live in tepee,unless, you compensate us! The one thing that we would never ever do for compensation is wear a crow or raven on our heads!
Old 11-08-2013, 21:47   #83

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I haven't been able to find any info as to how prepared they actually were. Were they? They may well have been able seamen who had bad luck.

As a lifelong atheist I can't agree with their spiritual views, but I'm not going to contribute toward the ridicule they've received here. It seems that their poor treatment here at CF has more to do with some CFer's personal issues with religion than it does with sailing or seamanship. All in all a pretty disgusting display and not one of CF finer moments.
What would a kinder, gentler way of dealing with this? Seriously. They set out with small children to sail to a random spot on the globe. In 2013...with apparently no defined plan of how this would happen. I set out in 2000 with 2 small children for a foreign country. I did a lot of research on how I was going to actually stay there. What would they do after they arrived and their visa's were declined? I hate taxes as much as ANYONE...trust me. I'm quite rabid in my distaste for government and all it entails. But to make THAT decision and then come back on our government's dime to "start over" is just infuriating. When I was at the embassy in Costa Rica getting all my son's birth related papers in order, I saw a guy waltz in to the embassy and start screaming at Embassy staff. Yelling that he was been robbed in downtown San Jose (red light district) at 2 am the night before. He had no cash, no cards, no ID. He demanded that he be given money and a flight "Out of this god damned hellhole country." ForEVER left an impression about entitlement. This jackhole's bad decision's all of the sudden become the government's responsibility. IF it comes out they were better prepared, then maybe I'll swallow my words. I'm an ER nurse, I deal with entitlement and cleaning up after people's bad decisions daily. And in the 10 years I've done this...it just getting worse. So maybe I'm jaded. But c'mon...this is just ridiculous.
Old 11-08-2013, 21:54   #84

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Tropics! No need to get excited on this thread! Whack jobs do not realize that they are whack jobs. It looks like a lot of folks are desperate/destitute in their way of life, decide anything they try would be better than their current situation. Pilots are taught..."If you fail to plan, you planned to fail." You can't just walk away from what troubles you; sooner or later, it is going to catch up with you unless you die sooner.

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Only A Dullah
Old 11-08-2013, 21:58   #85

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Hilary! ++

Mauritz
Old 11-08-2013, 22:04   #86

Why is this 'off-topic'? It is related to sailing and what not to do... This is my worst fear of trying to sail the Pacific.

Maybe the AZ heat just got to them.
Old 11-08-2013, 22:17   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Why is this 'off-topic'? It is related to sailing and what not to do... This is my worst fear of trying to sail the Pacific.

Maybe the AZ heat just got to them.
What, you becoming a lunatic inexperienced sailor who can't tell your johnson from a bilge pump handle?

Bad things can happen to prepared people, but bad things often happen to unprepared people. These clowns rolled a set of loaded dice and lost. Thank goodness they have their lives.
Old 11-08-2013, 22:52   #88

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Don't knock the Pastafarians... because the Flying Spaghetti Monster wants me to be happy, I know He wants me to take lessons, sail with more experienced mariners, learn from the skills and mistakes of others, use good judgment, practice skills, and take personal responsibility. All of which is more than seems to be expected of the average religious nut job.
Old 11-08-2013, 22:58   #89

Wow! Most of these anti religious comments coming from the USA which is one of the most religious nations on earth.
Old 11-08-2013, 23:59   #90
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Don't knock the Pastafarians... because the Flying Spaghetti Monster wants me to be happy, I know He wants me to take lessons, sail with more experienced mariners, learn from the skills and mistakes of others, use good judgment, practice skills, and take personal responsibility. All of which is more than seems to be expected of the average religious nut job.

May you be evermore touched by his noodley appendage .
Closed Thread