Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2013, 16:20   #181
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Nope. Forensics guy in the local police (aka militia) department. Small city in the middle of nowhere.

News flash: The Party (tm) ceased to exist in 1991. Was banned by a law, in fact. Why would I have any skin in the game that nobody's even playing for more than 20 years? Just telling it how it was for me, my parents and a lot of their friends, who were all quite content with the way things were. Partly because they didn't know any better, and partly because it wasn't all that bad.

If you look at a footage from North Korean civil parades, with all the happy smiles, it's important to remember that by and large they are not faking it. And these folks actually have to starve every once in a while.

By the way, if you want hell, try being older than 40 in the 1990s ex-USSR right after the whole thing collapsed. Especially on the periphery of the empire, especially in any of the places where they had them a nice little war.
I have never met anyone that thought "It wasnt that bad" that lived thru it..You are the only person that I have heard that from,and I knew a lady whos father ran a bank and they despiced the whole system..Takes all kinds to make the world go round..

Old 14-08-2013, 16:29   #182

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No... that was British Leyland and Triumph in the 70's...
Oh the fond memories -- TR6/TR7 --

Could spend more time under em than in em, but boy did they look good!

Old 14-08-2013, 16:29   #183

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have never met anyone that thought "It wasnt that bad" that lived thru it..You are the only person that I have heard that from,and I knew a lady whos father ran a bank and they despiced the whole system..Takes all kinds to make the world go round..
Note that:
* I did not say it was good. Just that the vast majority of people within thought it was good. It's all relative, and it was on many levels better than 80% of world's population at the time, after all.
* a lot of these positive opinions changed afterwards. As my dad puts it "I was a true believer for the first 40 years and then I looked around".
* people you ran into were immigrants, presumably. That's a bit of a selective bias right there.
Old 14-08-2013, 16:37   #184

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Nope. Forensics guy in the local police (aka militia) department. Small city in the middle of nowhere.

News flash: The Party (tm) ceased to exist in 1991. Was banned by a law, in fact. Why would I have any skin in the game that nobody's even playing for more than 20 years? Just telling it how it was for me, my parents and a lot of their friends, who were all quite content with the way things were. Partly because they didn't know any better, and partly because it wasn't all that bad.

If you look at a footage from North Korean civil parades, with all the happy smiles, it's important to remember that by and large they are not faking it. And these folks actually have to starve every once in a while.

By the way, if you want hell, try being older than 40 in the 1990s ex-USSR right after the whole thing collapsed. Especially on the periphery of the empire, especially in any of the places where they had them a nice little war.
Yep - it's always necessary to make it "tolerable" for the majority, else the card house won't stand. Since the sheeple make up the majority, these systems can go on for a very long time ...
Old 14-08-2013, 19:38   #185
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Note that:
* I did not say it was good. Just that the vast majority of people within thought it was good. It's all relative, and it was on many levels better than 80% of world's population at the time, after all.
* a lot of these positive opinions changed afterwards. As my dad puts it "I was a true believer for the first 40 years and then I looked around".
* people you ran into were immigrants, presumably. That's a bit of a selective bias right there.
In the south islands of PI the saying was "to be 18 and communist is to be idealistic,to be 30 and a communist is to be a fool"...takes all kinds
Old 14-08-2013, 19:52   #186

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-611780826.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	65516

Old 14-08-2013, 19:57   #187
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
I wasn't aware that there were other countries in the world
Old 14-08-2013, 20:01   #188

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Boatman61 bring some reality to the introspective American view. I recall doing business in the middle east in the late 70's, 80' and 90's. If Americans knew the real story about how the middle east view them, they would be apoplectic!
With the best of intentions, the good old USA has screwed up more countries through wars, interference in foreign domestic affairs and their drive to stop communism anywhere they found it.
The ANC in South Africa was funded by the KGB while the CIA tried to keep Mandala in jail for as long as possible. We fought communism in foreign countries regrdless of the cost of life and economics where we were fighting.
I'm still wondering the wisdom of immigrating to the US years ago but was fortunate enough to see the writing on the wall and got my family out of country permanently. Not that I'm Anti-American, i just am old enough to see the damage we have done around the world politically, economically and socially. Phil
Old 14-08-2013, 20:17   #189
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Boatman61 bring some reality to the introspective American view. I recall doing business in the middle east in the late 70's, 80' and 90's. If Americans knew the real story about how the middle east view them, they would be apoplectic!
With the best of intentions, the good old USA has screwed up more countries through wars, interference in foreign domestic affairs and their drive to stop communism anywhere they found it.
The ANC in South Africa was funded by the KGB while the CIA tried to keep Mandala in jail for as long as possible. We fought communism in foreign countries regrdless of the cost of life and economics where we were fighting.
I'm still wondering the wisdom of immigrating to the US years ago but was fortunate enough to see the writing on the wall and got my family out of country permanently. Not that I'm Anti-American, i just am old enough to see the damage we have done around the world politically, economically and socially. Phil
Screwed up more countries thru war or fed more people thru food programs? Maybe we shouldnt interfear in "foreign domestic affairs" just leave the world to its own devises,the dark ages were fun!!Dont wonder anymore ,go back where things are better,but leave all you gained from being here ,here..just a thought... Are you not old enough to see any good that has been done?
Old 14-08-2013, 20:18   #190

Heres the part of the story I'd like explained:

Quote:
They had been on the ocean for about two months and were low on supplies. They were out of food and were down to "some juice and some honey. At one point a fishing ship came into contact with them but left without providing assistance.
Wonder what was going on there? Did they start spouting off some religious nuttery and the capt of the fishing boat thought "Screw this, I'm not listening to that crap for the next week". Not rendering aid to the distressed at sea is pretty much unheard of.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 14-08-2013, 20:30   #191

Quote:
A family is back in Arizona after their attempt to relocate to a tiny island left them lost at sea for weeks. Sean Gastonguay told KTVK-TV that his family's boat is gone — presumably at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. He said he now has to find work to repay the $10,000 that the family borrowed from the U.S. State Department to fly back from Chile.
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/art...na-4732417.php

Only $10 grand? They got off easy. They're lucky it wasn't the Coast Guard rescuing them. That bill would have been more like $80,000.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 14-08-2013, 20:33   #192
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Thanks for the kindergarten exercise Jimbo...
So... your not American because America's a continent not a country... but you called yourselves the United States of America despite being less than 1/4 of the continent you've posted... frustrated earlier ambitions..?
So Mexicans, Columbians etc are by definition (according to you) Americans as well...??
WTF are we supposed to call you lot... Usians...

Born To Be Wild
Old 14-08-2013, 20:58   #193
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thanks for the kindergarten exercise Jimbo...
So... your not American because America's a continent not a country... but you called yourselves the United States of America despite being less than 1/4 of the continent you've posted... frustrated earlier ambitions..?
So Mexicans, Columbians etc are by definition (according to you) Americans as well...??
WTF are we supposed to call you lot... Usians...
If someone goes to asia from north america or south they are concidered American,never asked anyone in europe what they would call us(afraid of the answer)..
Old 14-08-2013, 21:08   #194

Quote:
If someone goes to asia from north america or south they are concidered American,never asked anyone in europe what they would call us(afraid of the answer)..
It's interesting that in South America, they refer to U.S citizens as Norte Americanos, and Canadians as Canadians. They refer to themselves as Costa Ricans, etc. We're the only ones to have such a roguish/presumptuous viewpoint about our continental importance, I guess ...
Old 14-08-2013, 21:11   #195

Quote:
Interesting to think that if that German, Waldsemueller, who named us American, had been on less familiar and more formal terms with good ole Amerigo - we would of instead been named Vespuccia. Just imagine the headlines through the years:

Vespuccians Invade Normandy

Vespuccians Land on the Moon

We got very lucky that Waldsemueller dubbed us Americans

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: