Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2014, 06:32   #1

Cost of Cruising

Excited to be here! Need some insight to cruising costs on a approx. 8-10 year old 41 Sailing Cat. Planning on cruising in Carribean, BVI's. Time line is 1-2 years from now, my husband and myself. Research seems to suggest approx. $12000.-$15000. p.y. in boat maintenance and total cruising costs of $3000.-$3500.p.m. all inclusive. Am I in the ballpark at all? Mostly moored out, marinas from time to time. Thanks for the advise!
louie369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:37   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Cost of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie369 View Post
Excited to be here! Need some insight to cruising costs on a approx. 8-10 year old 41 Sailing Cat. Planning on cruising in Carribean, BVI's. Time line is 1-2 years from now, my husband and myself. Research seems to suggest approx. $12000.-$15000. p.y. in boat maintenance and total cruising costs of $3000.-$3500.p.m. all inclusive. Am I in the ballpark at all? Mostly moored out, marinas from time to time. Thanks for the advise!
There are tons of threads o this subject here on CF. If you use the search function you find enough to keep you reading well into retirement.

Here is one

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-135407.html

You can also buy Beth Leonards book: The Voyagers Handbook. She discusses this in detail including just about everything else you could possibly want to know about full time cruising. If she doesn't discuss it - you don't need to know it.

And Welcome Aboard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:40   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Your totals pretty much match my research. But if you have done much research good luck beyond the following expected answers:

It depends
as much as you have
I/we did it on a lot less
That's not enough
You're a rich a-h that wants to live the same as on land
Do you drink
Do you eat out

Old 15-11-2014, 06:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Louie.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:17   #5

Thanks for the link, very informative!
Old 17-11-2014, 05:28   #6

We have an idea of seasonal cruising costs owning 30' cruiser but different situation. After totaling costs (listed above) for usual maintenance, it seems for 42' sailing cat we should be budgeting $6-8,000. per year, is that realistic? Plan on spending $250,000 and past research seems to repeat the rule of thumb 10% cost of boat. We'll be doing most maintenance. That number seems scary and the unknown worry factor for us. Am I going overboard on this?? (no pun intended)! The sharing of knowledge on this forum is great and appreciated!!
Old 17-11-2014, 06:25   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we have been out over 7 years as full time cruisers and liveaboards.

THis is a link to our cost data from being on the east coast and the caribbean for 5 years. We are currently updating for our 1st full year in the Med.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-118781.html

you maybe a little lite on your estimate.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 06:49   #8

Thanks Chuckr - Couldn't open file but Hello Sailor posted the breakdown. Looks to be nicer weather where you are, snowing in VT and looking forward to sunnier skies! Great info thanks!
Old 17-11-2014, 14:41   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
THis is a link to our cost data from being on the east coast and the caribbean for 5 years. We are currently updating for our 1st full year in the Med.

I'm interested in that update. How do you think its been? one of the things with the Med is theres so many things to see and do. Theres no Pompeii in the Caribbean, no Rome, no.... Ok, I'll shut up...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 16:22   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

With no careful accounting on our part, boat paid for, and no blown up engines and doing all our own work, about $2k per month avg. I don't think we live poorly at all. I try to keep the boat in good shape. Unfortunately we can have a few months of big spending but that looks like our avg for 2 people.
Inland travel really jacks up the cost for us. and we don't even cruise the Med.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 23:23   #11

There is no way to answer this logically. A cruise can be a couple of hundred to many thousands. Depends on what kind of room you want, where it is going and for how many days. In some agencies everything is included except for excursion trips, liquor, spa services and photos. All meals, drinks (sometimes they charge for soft drinks) etc. are included.So is room service and entertainment. Cruises are great fun and relaxing.
penneyeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 00:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I'm interested in that update. How do you think its been? one of the things with the Med is theres so many things to see and do. Theres no Pompeii in the Caribbean, no Rome, no.... Ok, I'll shut up...

mark -- i am sorry i have not updated our costs yet. i do have something of an excuse as i blew out a shoulder tendon and had surgery on it and have only one arm for a while and makes it very difficult but not impossible to create the new spreadsheets and get it right. i am working on it through. oh and as an aside i had it almost done and then managed to delete it so had to start over again. the one armed bandit got it.
Old 03-01-2015, 00:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by penneyeugene View Post
There is no way to answer this logically. A cruise can be a couple of hundred to many thousands. Depends on what kind of room you want, where it is going and for how many days. In some agencies everything is included except for excursion trips, liquor, spa services and photos. All meals, drinks (sometimes they charge for soft drinks) etc. are included.So is room service and entertainment. Cruises are great fun and relaxing.

Are you talking about a cruise ship?? correct me if i am wrong but i think we are talking about going out on your own boat but i could be mistaken.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:51   #14

this year our cost of repairs will go up a bit as i need work done but can not do it myself. i had a ruptured shoulder tendon repaired by putting 2 screws in my shoulder. as a result i can do little or no work on the boat and we were just getting started on getting the boat ready for the spring/summer sailing season. some work like varnishing ect we can put off until next year but other stuff we can not.
we just lost our fresh water pump and while in the past i would have wedged myself in and pulled it and tried to get it working i simply can not now with my arm in a sling and i must be very careful not to do anything to the shoulder that would make full recovery possible. therefore i had to hire a local to pull the pump and change out the pressure switch. i also need to do a lot of pm on the engine and simply may not be able to get it done due to limited range and motion of the shoulder in the short term - ie next 2-3 months - and our yearly visit to family to see grandkids. so we will probably have alocal do some of the work as the most important thing is to not over do the shoulder and let it completely heal so we can sail this summer - ie precautions are the optimum word here and i have no desire to go through this again.
so as muh as you say i can do the work myself, in the real world that we live in it is not always possible.

as an aside i just tried to put an extra stern line on and had to get the dockhands to help as i was afraid that if i put to much pll on my good arm i might just twist the wrong way and move my shoulder - better safe than sorry.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:29   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

No "will work for food" cruisers near you?

Tags
cruising