Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 02:33   #91
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Convenience of the metric system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Fractions are just as simple as meters, it is just they don't express them conveniently, if they used 64 as the denominator, then 1/2 is '32', and 5/8 is '40' and wrenches and bolts can be specified with a single number, not a fraction, like how sheet metal gauges are specified, or "AN" fittings.

We could have a base 8 number system, if you just use fingers and not thumbs, and then kids could count to 24 with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs..

OK ask an average joe to add 3/32 nds + 7/64 +1 /8

now ask him him to say add 1.25 + 1.5 + 1.3, see who gets the answer correct

IN fact in the US, decimal fractions of inches are the most common of measurements in engineering etc, in essence a pseudo metrification

Fractions are not as simple.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:41   #92
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OK ask an average joe to add 3/32 nds + 7/64 +1 /8

So that's 6 + 7 + 8

Hmm... 21/64

Make it harder next time
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:03   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Wow, far too many replies to tackle individually before work. Just a few things:
I disagree that anyone has proven that the whole world is right about this one. See the Noah story.
Speaking of Noah, I didn't make that up. You can read all about it in God's Word, where we also get the notion of the seven day week and the 24-hour day.
No, I wasn't being silly about what the length of a meter is. How many people have the equipment to measure the wavelength of whatever it is in a vaccuum ready-to-hand? How many colleges or scientific institutions have it? It's a really hard thing to measure, but without it how are all their balls-accurate metric rulers calibrated? The same way as a yardstick. So there is no more accuracy there than anywhere else.
It matters not that someone made the "official" measurement of a mile or inch or foot some string of metrical numbers--they existed long before that; it was probably done so that the people who refuse to think in anything BUT metric could do their conversions more easily. I have NEVER needed to convert a mile to kilometers, or an inch to cm.
It's good to hear the French were the first to ban Metrics. Too bad they jumped back on the bandwagon. As for the space race--without offence to the Native Americans, most technology in this country can be traced back to European roots--many of us came from there, after all. So you can't say that the moon race was accomplished by Germans, though someone of German descent worked on the program. It was an American rocket which made it to the moon, sent from a country who had not yet given themselves over wholesale to the metric system, while Russia, which had, lost.
Lots of replies, again, but no one has addressed the measurement of days, nor celestial navigation, or UTM grids.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:15   #94
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

So....by your reckoning after "The Flood" only Noah's family was left alive, huh?

So.....why are we all different colors? Mrs. Noah messing around with the livestock?
Old 10-11-2014, 03:21   #95

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
i'm a carpenter,english and know both systems,give me millimetres over fractions anyday-and ask american tradesman who regularly use add/divide/subtract fractions what they do and a lot will pull out the app on the smartphone.
Actually us old school guys have used a Constuction Master calculator for years.
Enlarged Image - <\/TITLE><\/HEAD><BODY bgcolor="white" onLoad="if (self.resizeTo)self.resizeTo((document.images[0].width+10),(500))" topmargin="4" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0"><table width=""'+document.images[0].width+'" border="0

They have been made for about 30 years and make feet inches and fractions easy. And just press that M key and it converts to metric. You can get a CM phone app but I'd rather use the CM itself because it's way cheaper to replace after construction abuse than my phone.

So what size is a 4'X8' sheet of plywood over there? And a 2X4?
Old 10-11-2014, 03:54   #96

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
So....by your reckoning after "The Flood" only Noah's family was left alive, huh?

So.....why are we all different colors? Mrs. Noah messing around with the livestock?
Your bible states that your god was going to destroy all humanity but took an exception with Noah. The bible couldn't possibly be wrong? It rained for 40 days and 40 nights and the flood waters covered the highest mountains on earth. Only Noah and his family survived. Then his sons were commanded to repopulate the earth but was the only woman left Noah's wife? Incest. Eeewwww.

Or the more logical approach is that the species evolved through evolution and the darker skinned people developed a natural pigment to safeguard the skin from the sun. As humans migrated from these tropics to colder lands they lost the darker pigment because they wore more clothes.

And by the way the ark was alleged to be 300 cubits long. A cubit is the length from your elbow to the tip of your middle finger or about a foot and a half so the ark was 450' long and 75' wide and 3 stories high. Now that's a lot of wood!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:40   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
We could have a base 8 number system, if you just use fingers and not thumbs, and then kids could count to 24 with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs..
Actually, they would count to 30
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:51   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Who needs metric when America can send a B-52 bomber up to 35,000 ft., fly at 500 mph with a payload of 24,500 pounds, then drop a 750 Lb. bomb through a 3 ft. x 3ft. window!
Nuff said.
Damn straight Skippy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
I have an engineer's tape measure that I love to pull out for others to use. It is in tenths of feet. You want to watch someone scratch their head?
But then ....I love RPN, too.
I use one of these too... and LOVE it...
AND...
RPN!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:55   #99

Boat: Santana 25
If you have trouble with fractions, try working with a dry waller! 9/16= half inch strong, 11/16= 5/8 strong, give me that damn tape!
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:04   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom View Post
If you have trouble with fractions, try working with a dry waller! 9/16= half inch strong, 11/16= 5/8 strong, give me that damn tape!
HA HA!

Good one!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:04   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
No, the meter is 1,650,763.73 wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.
Before that it was the length of a bar kept somewhere in Paris.
Before that they indeed took 1/10000000 of the distance from the equator to the pole, because that ended up a good size, about the length of a pace...
Incidentally the nautical mile is defined in a similar way, as the length of one arc minute measured on the equator. This gives all kinds of advantages when doing astronomical navigation. For the same reason surveyors in metric countries will measure angles in "gon", of which 400 go in a circle...
The bar and the wavelength are just attempts to correct a faulty unit. It didn't change where intent of the definition. It was faulty in that it had no intuitive value to humans and the earth is not a perfect sphere.

The foot has only one of those faults. It's intuitive but had to be standardized since not everyones feet are exactly the same length (I'm lucky, with shoes on I'm usually within 1/4")

A meter is actually not very close to a pace. Based on the original definition of a mile, a step is around 2.64' A meter is 3.281' (24% error). You could argue that romans were shorter than modern people but I have to occasionally pace out distances for work so I have a specific pace I use to be consistent. I'm 6'2" with fairly long legs and use a pace that is a bit longer than my normal walking pace. It's actually really close to 3'. For most of the guys in my surveying class, were pretty close to 2.7' (2% variance from the standard roman army pace)

I'm in engineering and deal with surveyors. I'm comfortable moving back and forth between systems but never have I heard of a "gon". Maybe it's similar to a Smoot.

Don't get me wrong. Metric has it's uses.
- If there are a lot of unit conversions involved and I'm doing hand calculations, metric is nice because the calculations are simpler. The downside is I often don't have an intuitive sense of what the answer should be so it doesn't provide a backcheck. I have to convert the answer to english units and then see if it makes sense.
- If there are few unit conversions or I'm doing them with a computer that could care less if it's base 10, I prefer english as it's not any harder to calculate and I usually have a good intuitive sense of what the answer should be.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:05   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
My uncle was a civil engineer who emigrated to Canada in the mid-50's from Germany.

Of course, he was not used to the Imperial system used then in Canada. One of his first jobs was to estimate concrete requirements for a large public works program.

Back in the day of the slide rule (which I now have), he converted the specifications to metric, did whatever magic engineers do, and once he had he result, converted that end result back to Imperial measurements.

His company won the bid. He often talked about that before he passed away.
Oddly, I spent the first 5yrs of my engineering career doing the exact opposite in the late 90's.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:39   #103

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Because they based it on 10, which as has been pointed out is far less versatile than base 12. (...)
But 12 is a decimal notation number, and in decimal notation 10 is the base.

In other words, what you doing is trying to tell me, in English, that English is not a good base for this Forum, because French is more versatile.

Ille est*.

Now what?

(*)- Google translate.

(Google translate is a web based translation service based on English)

Back to square one. You need bigger guns, or else your guns are aimed the wrong way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:40   #104
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

One nice convenience of the metric system is that my 41 foot yacht when I'm bragging boat becomes only 12M or 39 ft. when I'm quoting length to a marina for dockage fees. Things seem to change around 40 ft.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:57   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I learned both systems pretty well. If I was king I would have the Metric system in the USA. With the Metric system everything divides by 10...which is usually easy math to do in your head. We did though send a man to the Moon using the Imperial system and nobody else has done that yet.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc