Ah coconut oil! In my opinion this is the best stuff on earth (after chocolate and coffee of course). I love it so much I want to count the ways. There is a guy out there who claims coconut oil
might cure cancer. This is not one of those posts!
This is a practical sumation of what we use alm I st a gallon a month. I just found a new use for it, so I am starting this thread in hopes that others might have more new uses.
of course. While it burns at a fairly low temperature, it breaks d I wn readily in water
due to its high content of Lauric acid. And tastes good too.
2. Eating. Ok, we mix it in our coffee for breakfast. It's full of medium chain saturated fats that are good for you. The fat also helps you feel full.
3. Athletes foot. Coconut oil
has mild antimicrobial and anti fungal properties. Using it on my feet everyday keeps the beasties in check. I'm very prone to athletes foothe but coconut oil means my feet are smooth and itch free.
4. Body odor
. Yup, it great for keeping the stinkies down too. See #3.
5. Light sun protection. Coconut oil has an spf about 4. Most people will want something stronger than that. But it can't be beat for wearing with long sleeves and pants.
6. Soap made with coconut oil lathers in salt water
7. Use coconut oil to remove paint
and adhesives. It will melt them right off! It even cleans up antifouling paint
. Beware drinking beverages with coconut oil and chewing gum, the coconut oil will make the gum disolve (it's a real mess!)
8. Keeps your skin soft. Use it instead of baby oil after a shower
9. Brush your teeth with it! Again the antimicrobial qualities help fight plaque. Also the unique ability for coconut oil to break down other stuff means it keeps your teeth white!
10. Great hair conditioner!
11...the newest one: rust. Practical Sailor gave a product called "miracle cloth" high marks for cleaning
up stanchions and the like. On a recent thread about rust removers many CF posters agreed. I ordered some but never took it out of the shipping
box. When I did take it out today I see "coconut oil" is very promenent on the label. I haven't tried it yet, but I guessing coconut oil will help clean up rust.
Anyway, we really do use coconut oil as I've described. We even give some to our dog. We claim that coconut oil cured him of a mystery illness. Basically he started limping and not eating but his vet could find no cause. He was so bad he couldn't get up from lying down. With no other treatment available we started giving him coconut oil. He recovered in a couple of weeks after 6 months of mystery illness. There is a lot that could have happened here as to why he recovered and what was wrong in the first place. Coconut oil is the only thing we can say for sure seemed to make a difference in all that we tried. I don't believe that coconut oil was the cure, but he is back to his old self and runs around like a puppy.
Any way, I big old jar of coconut oil is going in our ditch bag.