Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 09:34   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Coconut oil!

whoohoo! Thanks boatie!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:47   #32

From a cooking perspective, Coconut oil has an extremely low 'smoke point' of around 177f which is the same as butter. This leaves it with fairly limited uses for cooking with heat. (Palm oil is 232F).

Popcorn pops at 212F (boiling point of water) so there is no way anyone was using coconut oil to pop popcorn without burning it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:21   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I use avocado oil for hot cooking. But its hard to find the good stuff and a reasonable price.

I love the smell and flavor of coconut oil.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:32   #34

I use avocado oil too. But I do cook eggs and low carb pancakes in coconut oil.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:55   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
One of My personal skin treatments for rashes, sores etc...
Buy a small pot of coconut oil.. add 1heaped teaspoon of Tumeric and mix well.. leave it for a day for the Tumeric to leech well into the oil. Before you go for a swim rub some all over your body then dive in.. as you swim the Tumeric should dilute enough to not stain your towel.. but no certainties so best use an old towel.. the yellow stain it leaves is near impossible to remove. The oil will remain in a thin film.
Same applies to the pimples/spots.. apply to the area and leave for half hour before rinsing off.
Works for this blue eyed fair skinned guy

for small area's dip finger tip in oil then Tumeric powder and rub into area, it will sting if its an open sore but.. that means its working..

I'm not sure I understand why you rub it all over before swimming. Is it some sort of sun block also?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I'm not sure I understand why you rub it all over before swimming. Is it some sort of sun block also?
Why everyone knows sea lice dont like coconut curry!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:12   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coconut oil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
SKIN CANCER
A study found that curcumin caused melanoma cells to commit suicide. Topical curcumin has shown promise in fighting squamous cell carcinoma.
MULTIPLE MYELOMA
A French study published in 2014 in Cancer Biology & Therapy found that several different multiple myeloma cell lines were sensitive to curcumin. The study authors concluded that the results indicate more clinical trials are worth doing on curcumin and multiple myeloma. MD Anderson Cancer Research Center at the University of Texas has been studying the effects of curcumin on multiple myeloma for several years. For an interesting anecdotal story of a woman with multiple myeloma who has been keeping her cancer at bay for years using MD Anderson’s curcumin protocol, check out Margaret’s Corner.
METASTASIS PREVENTION
Multiple studies have found that one of the most exciting health benefits of turmeric is the prevention of metastasis, the spread of cancer from the primary site to other areas of the body
NATURAL PAINKILLER & ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
Curcumin is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor. One study compared curcumin to ibuprofen for pain relief in knee osteoarthritis patients and found that the curcumin worked just as well as ibuprofen. Several studies have found that curcumin has potent anti-inflammatory properties. According to the Arthritis Foundation, several studies have found turmeric to be effective at reducing joint inflammation and pain, with one of the studies even finding curcumin to be better at reducing pain and swelling in patients with rheumatoid arthritis than diclofenac, an NSAID that is commonly prescribed for people with RA.
ANTIBACTERIAL
Several studies have found that curcumin has antibacterial properties and is useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
Blending it with coconut oil triggers the active agents and applying it sunbathing seems a natural thing to do..
Also the oil stops things entering the open pores when swimming.
Hey.. what have I got to lose..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:23   #38

Quote:
SKIN CANCER
A study found that curcumin caused melanoma cells to commit suicide. Topical curcumin has shown promise in fighting squamous cell carcinoma.
MULTIPLE MYELOMA
A French study published in 2014 in Cancer Biology & Therapy found that several different multiple myeloma cell lines were sensitive to curcumin. The study authors concluded that the results indicate more clinical trials are worth doing on curcumin and multiple myeloma. MD Anderson Cancer Research Center at the University of Texas has been studying the effects of curcumin on multiple myeloma for several years. For an interesting anecdotal story of a woman with multiple myeloma who has been keeping her cancer at bay for years using MD Anderson’s curcumin protocol, check out Margaret’s Corner.
METASTASIS PREVENTION
Multiple studies have found that one of the most exciting health benefits of turmeric is the prevention of metastasis, the spread of cancer from the primary site to other areas of the body
NATURAL PAINKILLER & ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
Curcumin is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor. One study compared curcumin to ibuprofen for pain relief in knee osteoarthritis patients and found that the curcumin worked just as well as ibuprofen. Several studies have found that curcumin has potent anti-inflammatory properties. According to the Arthritis Foundation, several studies have found turmeric to be effective at reducing joint inflammation and pain, with one of the studies even finding curcumin to be better at reducing pain and swelling in patients with rheumatoid arthritis than diclofenac, an NSAID that is commonly prescribed for people with RA.
ANTIBACTERIAL
Several studies have found that curcumin has antibacterial properties and is useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
Blending it with coconut oil triggers the active agents and applying it sunbathing seems a natural thing to do..
Also the oil stops things entering the open pores when swimming.
Hey.. what have I got to lose..
Wow! That's great to know!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 17:15   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
SKIN CANCER
A study found that curcumin caused melanoma cells to commit suicide
Good to know, I use both fresh and dry turmeric in curries a lot.

I don't know why I started, but I've recently been adding it to the water when boiling rice. Maybe my sub-conscious was telling me something.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 17:24   #40

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Bulletproof coffee (although we use MCT oil instead of Coconut oil) and a Keto diet combined produce a 35# weight loss in less than 4 months and never felt like a diet

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 17:34   #41

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Pete-
The cargo hold is usually no pressurized, so ten hours at 35,000 feet also means ten hours at temperatures well below zero. You can find the formula online for temp drop with altitude.
Sorry but this is BS. the cargo holds are always pressurised, they are part of the fuselage which you will notice is round in section and is the pressure vessel.
They are however often not heated to the same temp as the passenger cabin.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 18:12   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

It is just oil.

Not much different from mineral 15-40.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 18:20   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is just oil.

Not much different from mineral 15-40.

b.
Thems fightin' words barnakiel! Basic science...coconut oil comes from plants.
Old 07-09-2016, 18:30   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Bulletproof coffee (although we use MCT oil instead of Coconut oil) and a Keto diet combined produce a 35# weight loss in less than 4 months and never felt like a diet
Maybe worth reading by others considering Bulletproof:

Bulletproof Coffee: Debunking the Hot Buttered Hype
Old 07-09-2016, 18:34   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Thems fightin' words barnakiel! Basic science...coconut oil comes from plants.
Unless you subscribe to the abiotic oil hypothesis, so does mineral oil.

It's just taken a while.

Tags
oil