Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 20:11   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Coconut oil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Not in diet and nutrition they are not. Its an absolute travesty that one of you IV League universities has a faculty so fallen in grace.

Something specific for you on the saturated fat? Yes, absolutly. The new US government dietry guidelines for 2015 to 2020 approved in Feb 2016 have removed dietry Cholesterol as a cause of heart disease. As you know saturated fat 'makes' cholersterol. So Harvards demonising of sat fat and cholesterol has no scientific prrof, indeed is against your own latest dietry guidelines.

Why would they do this? Becuse the food industry wants to have Low Fat as the diet for Americans so it can produce low fat foods which by necessity are High Fructose Corn Syrup and sugar laden. Its is sugar and HFCS that is making the USA obese, giving them diabetes and heart disease. That diet also provides drug companys enhanced ability to sell obesity drugs, heart drugs like statins ('controls' cholesterol) and diabetic drugs like insulin.

It is well known food companies and industry blocks support scientists and universities. Coke last year was forced to release its list of grants to Australian doctors and scientists $120 million.

Would you then not critically review scientific method at your most famous universities?

I'll look into that, but I thought the second link was pretty balanced. Regardless, I'm not American. Eh.

Old 05-09-2016, 20:43   #17

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Their stuff is tainted.
But perhaps no more than any other nutritional research?

Let's try to seek truth from facts.

The economies with the highest reported consumption per capita of coconut oil are (2011 figures - no later figures are available:

1. Sri Lanka
2. Fiji
3. Guyana
4. Indonesia

Now, let's look for a correlation with any of the big causes of death.

First, coronary artery disease (CAD).

The population of those 4 economies line up like this (WHO stats - bigger number is bad, meaning more deaths associated with CAD):

31 Sri Lanka
19 Fiji
14 Guyana
97 Indonesia

See a pattern?

Which are the worst economies for CAD? That's easy: Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. Do their populations consume coconut products? No.

Which are the best economies for CAD? That's easy too: Republic of Korea, France, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands. Do their populations consume coconut products? Almost zero (but not absolute zero).

Second, cerebro-vascular stroke.

The populations of those four big consuming nations line up like this (WHO stats - bigger number means greater proportion of deaths from stroke):

105 Sri Lanka
96 Fiji
4 Guyana
172 Indonesia

See a pattern?

If you see a pattern that relates consumption of coconut products to CAD and/or stroke, congratulations! You will be in line for a medical Nobel prize. No one else has seen a pattern. You'll be the first.

Hands up who has cruised the S Pacific?

Been to Tokelau? Been to Pakupaku in the Cook Islands?

Those relatively small populations (and hence not very valid statistically) held the world records for coconut consumption (and probably still do - trouble is researchers find it difficult to keep up with the 'westernization' of diets anywhere, but especially in Polynesia. If you're cruising Tokelau or the Cook Is at the moment, you could make a valuable contribution by researching and publishing the 2016 diet. All of that is confounded by a significant part of the Tokelau and Cook Is population who now live part or all of each year in NZ and elsewhere, with significant change to their diet).

In the published data (which is a little dated) about 63% of the Tokelauan diet came from coconut. On Pukapuka atoll, the figure was 34%. Neither population has outlandish CAD deaths. Or strokes.

Of course, adding coconut oil to a 'western' diet is another thing. What confounds all 'coconut oil added to western diet' studies is the answer to the question: does coconut oil replace some other fat, replace calories from carbohydrate, or is it additional fat on top of the usual western serve of fats and carbohydrates?

See what taints any easy answer?
Old 05-09-2016, 21:48   #18

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Apologies for not littering my post above with citations to sources.

For statistics on consumption, see FAO.org. For stats on coronary disease and stroke, see WHO.int.

For a meta-review of coconut consumption and coronary disease, published in April 2016, see: Coconut oil consumption and cardiovascular risk factors in humans | Nutrition Reviews

For other recent published research, do the usual - go to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed and then type "coconut oil" into the search window.

If you prefer your data filtered by a couple who fill their rice bowls with profits from their books promoting coconut oil consumption, try: Peer Reviewed Research (and ask yourself why they do not include research such as that April 2016 paper published in Nutrition Reviews!).
Old 05-09-2016, 22:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Apologies for not littering my post above with citations to sources.

For statistics on consumption, see FAO.org. For stats on coronary disease and stroke, see WHO.int.

For a meta-review of coconut consumption and coronary disease, published in April 2016, see: Coconut oil consumption and cardiovascular risk factors in humans | Nutrition Reviews

For other recent published research, do the usual - go to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed and then type "coconut oil" into the search window.

If you prefer your data filtered by a couple who fill their rice bowls with profits from their books promoting coconut oil consumption, try: Peer Reviewed Research (and ask yourself why they do not include research such as that April 2016 paper published in Nutrition Reviews!).

So you don't use it ? Coconut oil that is.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Not sure but Sri Lanka may be ameliorating CAD with their abundant use of cayenne pepper!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:36   #21

Coconut oil also makes a great massage oil, and if you decide later on that you're going to "eat" what you just massaged, it tastes a lot better than lotion.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:47   #22

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Ah coconut oil! In my opinion this is the best stuff on earth (after chocolate and coffee of course). I love it so much I want to count the ways. There is a guy out there who claims coconut oil might cure cancer. This is not one of those posts!
This is a practical summation of what we use almost a gallon a month. I just found a new use for it, so I am starting this thread in hopes that others might have more new uses.
How shall I put this delicately... coconut oil makes an outstanding "personal lubricant"
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:14   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Expeller presser, unrefined coconut oil. Since the normal pressing and heat of refining destroy some of the good stuff in it. Should look clear like mineral oil.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:37   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Expeller presser, unrefined coconut oil. Since the normal pressing and heat of refining destroy some of the good stuff in it. Should look clear like mineral oil.
It can also set into a cream coloured wax. 10 hours at 35,000 feet did it for mine. Only problem was when British customs wanted to know what was in the the square Johnny Walker whisky bottle, oops
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:59   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pete-
The cargo hold is usually no pressurized, so ten hours at 35,000 feet also means ten hours at temperatures well below zero. You can find the formula online for temp drop with altitude.
As for customs...they probably thought it was plastic explosive. Peanut butter, goat cheese, toothpaste, bars of soap, they KNOW that can all be plastic explosive. Tell them you're not sure of what it is either, you think it is frozen snow leopard semen, because you positively left all your plastic explosive behind and you got a very good price for it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 16:17   #26

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Something specific for you on the saturated fat? Yes, absolutly. The new US government dietry guidelines for 2015 to 2020 approved in Feb 2016 have removed dietry Cholesterol as a cause of heart disease. As you know saturated fat 'makes' cholersterol. So Harvards demonising of sat fat and cholesterol has no scientific prrof, indeed is against your own latest dietry guidelines.
Dietary cholesterol is cholesterol you eat, that already exists as cholesterol. It's been shown that this may not actually contribute much to the cholesterol in your bloodstream, and that's the reason why /dietary/ cholesterol is possibly not a cause of heart disease. So eggs, etc are back on the menu.

You then say "As you know saturated fat 'makes' cholersterol. So Harvards demonising of sat fat and cholesterol has no scientific prrof, indeed is against your own latest dietry guidelines." and then go on a tin foil hat rant about it. This is not unlike concluding that, since it's perfectly safe to swallow a bullet whole, you might as well shoot yourself in the gut. Brilliant.

You are right that when you eat saturated fat, it makes cholesterol. This is not "dietary cholesterol". And this saturated-fat sourced cholesterol DOES increase the cholesterol level in your bloodstream with the associated impact on heart disease of which there is a large body of evidence*.

Or, more simply,

Eat cholesterol: Cholesterol in your bloodstream not impacted.

Eat saturated fat: Cholesterol in your bloodstream goes way up.

Do I know any of this for sure? No. But I do know your opinion is formed from some seriously poor assimilation of information. Maybe your parents thought lead paint legislation was a big consipiracy?

* Note the use of the word "evidence" as opposed to your wording, "scientific proof". The most important science lesson you'll ever get: Science doesn't work on "proof". It works on evidence to support hypotheses that are forever subject to future invalidation.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 16:39   #27

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
It can also set into a cream coloured wax. 10 hours at 35,000 feet did it for mine. Only problem was when British customs wanted to know what was in the the square Johnny Walker whisky bottle, oops
Ordinary coconut oil, the kind most of us buy, is solid to 76°f. There is also 96° coconut oil.
So if you are anywhere in a template climate you Co probably is solid most of the time. In the tropics it's always a liquid.
Old 06-09-2016, 16:49   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Dietary cholesterol is cholesterol you eat, that already exists as cholesterol. It's been shown that this may not actually contribute much to the cholesterol in your bloodstream, and that's the reason why /dietary/ cholesterol is possibly not a cause of heart disease. So eggs, etc are back on the menu.

You then say "As you know saturated fat 'makes' cholersterol. So Harvards demonising of sat fat and cholesterol has no scientific prrof, indeed is against your own latest dietry guidelines." and then go on a tin foil hat rant about it. This is not unlike concluding that, since it's perfectly safe to swallow a bullet whole, you might as well shoot yourself in the gut. Brilliant.

You are right that when you eat saturated fat, it makes cholesterol. This is not "dietary cholesterol". And this saturated-fat sourced cholesterol DOES increase the level in your bloodstream with the associated impact on heart disease of which there is a large body of evidence*.

Or, more simply,

Eat cholesterol: Cholesterol in your bloodstream not impacted.

Eat saturated fat: Cholesterol in your bloodstream goes way up.

Do I know any of this for sure? No. But I do know your opinion is formed from some seriously poor assimilation of information. Maybe your parents thought lead paint legislation was a big consipiracy?

* Note the use of the word "evidence" as opposed to your wording, "scientific proof". The most important science lesson you'll ever get: Science doesn't work on "proof". It works on evidence to support hypotheses that are forever subject to future invalidation.
Sorry, no, this I s not true. Not all saturated fats are the same. Saturated fat does not cause your cholesterol to go up. Eating saturated fat actually lowered my cholesterol ldls and raised my hdls. There is a lot of research about this and many books you can read. Please look into it before you blast others.

The point of this thread is NOT to argue if one should or should not eat coconut oil. That decision is your own. The point of this thread is to dicuss how versitile coconut oil is. Being very versatile it's the perfect cruiser oil.
Eat it or not coconut oil has a good 100 uses. Get back on topic please. Eating coconut oil is one use, but not the focus of this thread.
Old 06-09-2016, 19:22   #29

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Sorry, no, this I s not true. Not all saturated fats are the same. Saturated fat does not cause your cholesterol to go up. Eating saturated fat actually lowered my cholesterol ldls and raised my hdls. There is a lot of research about this and many books you can read. Please look into it before you blast others.

The point of this thread is NOT to argue if one should or should not eat coconut oil. That decision is your own. The point of this thread is to dicuss how versitile coconut oil is. Being very versatile it's the perfect cruiser oil.
Eat it or not coconut oil has a good 100 uses. Get back on topic please. Eating coconut oil is one use, but not the focus of this thread.
But, but, but... It's just so perfect that a cruisers forum thread about $#@#$ coconut oil becomes some crank's chance to go on a rant against academia...

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:27   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coconut oil!

One of My personal skin treatments for rashes, sores etc...
Buy a small pot of coconut oil.. add 1heaped teaspoon of Tumeric and mix well.. leave it for a day for the Tumeric to leech well into the oil. Before you go for a swim rub some all over your body then dive in.. as you swim the Tumeric should dilute enough to not stain your towel.. but no certainties so best use an old towel.. the yellow stain it leaves is near impossible to remove. The oil will remain in a thin film.
Same applies to the pimples/spots.. apply to the area and leave for half hour before rinsing off.
Works for this blue eyed fair skinned guy

for small area's dip finger tip in oil then Tumeric powder and rub into area, it will sting if its an open sore but.. that means its working..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil