Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2011, 17:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Cocaine Sub

Did anyone see the news story about the Fiberglass simi-sub that was "found" by the police in Columbia SA...Looks like a sailboat hull with the deck removed and then glassed over to make a very flushed deck..If someone with a good eye for differant designs would take a look they might be able to tell us what kind of boat it was before the modifications were done ...I think its interesting and would make good conversation but my ability to use the computer is very limated and I cant figure out how to paste the story to CF..anyone want to give it a try?..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 18:17   #2

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Re: Cocaine Sub

Yes I saw it. I also saw one last year 8 miles off the coast of Cuba. I was heading West and it was heading East. Definitely without a doubt a drug sub.
9/10 submerged and painted like a log. I thought at first it was then I saw the hatch and it was moving around 4 knot. I think a few boats have been sunk hitting one of those. Anyway I reported it to the Mexican Navy when I got to Isla Mujeres. They did not seem to give a sh*t. Probably turning North near the Cuba coast. I did not want to report it on the radio and be on someone's hit list. Interesting. I knew what it was as I visited the Coast Guard base in Cartagena and saw a few captured ones.
Old 18-10-2011, 20:44   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

There was a documentary on the TV a while back. They seem to be all over the place. >>> drug subs - Google Search
Old 18-10-2011, 22:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Part of me wonders if that should be filed under "bad ideas someone had while smoking pot on a saturday night" but if they're all over the place it's probably because it's worked more then it's failed!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:32   #5

In my youth I wanted to build a semi-sub sailing vessel. One that I could take out in the roughest of seas and not worry about broaching or roll overs. Kind of like this one but with a heavy mast, interior driven roller furlings and a risen sealed cockpit like a military sub, but with heavy windows.

The keel would have been a shallow large bulb with a retractable/cantering fin. Also it would have had ballast tanks so it could be submerged just over the deck for when the waves got really big.

But without funds it's just a dream.
Old 19-10-2011, 10:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
In my youth I wanted to build a semi-sub sailing vessel. One that I could take out in the roughest of seas and not worry about broaching or roll overs. Kind of like this one but with a heavy mast, interior driven roller furlings and a risen sealed cockpit like a military sub, but with heavy windows.

The keel would have been a shallow large bulb with a retractable/cantering fin. Also it would have had ballast tanks so it could be submerged just over the deck for when the waves got really big.

Is this a modified sailboat? are they all modified sailboats ?I thought they were made of metal..the one I saw was a sailboat at one time..brave souls to get into something like that..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 11:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Is this a modified sailboat? are they all modified sailboats ?I thought they were made of metal..the one I saw was a sailboat at one time..brave souls to get into something like that..DVC
This one looks like it may have been. But it sure would be EZ to convert by sealing off the hull to deck joint and rebuilding the deck for water tight hatches and portals and changing the keel among a lot of other details, like a larger motor and running gear.

This summer I sealed off my hull/deck joint and what a difference it made. I have no water at all coming into the boat except through the keel-stepped-mast halyards.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4054.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	32778  
Old 19-10-2011, 11:40   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:

There you go Del.

If you know anybody in the Sherriff's office, you can get yourself a "starter kit" cheap.
Old 19-10-2011, 11:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
There you go Del.

If you know anybody in the Sherriff's office, you can get yourself a "starter kit" cheap.
Yeah! I wonder if they'd sell it? But it's probably bad/cheap workmanship.
Old 19-10-2011, 12:11   #10

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:

This might give you a few ideas. not sure of what type of sail you would use but nasa might have some ideas..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing-tips-sunkyacht.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	32779  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 12:47   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Really dear, it's too early to pull ... there's still some good sailing days left!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote