Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 21:44   #61

Re: Coast Guard Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Well. . . .
It’s been reported by reputable sources that a local veterinarian was observed swinging wantonly from her mizzenmast, waving a tri-cornered hat and yelling: “Hey Capn’ Jack… you can board me anytime, big boy!”

OK, enough...
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 22:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Let me embellish a bit. I was boarded here in Clearwater Florida on the intercoastal.
They were very nice and even asked if I had firearms on board. They then told me that it was call that made them come and board me. The boat next to mine didn't like the fact the bilge pump went off and pumped my bilge into the water when a seacock broke and started leeking into the bilge. They then asked how much oil was in the water and I said none. To which they said they had seen the water and said it was under a gallon and they could fine me to which I said the bacteria and amoebas in the water will eat the oil and get rid of it. (Remember they said they had seen it 1/2 hour after the bilge pumped)
They then laughed and asked who told me that to which I reminded them of what the head of the Coast Guard, the President and the EPA said just that to the entire United States when the BP oil spill happened just off shore of Florida Louisianna and Alabama.
They had the ticket book out and the police and marine patrol were absolutely pissed that the Coast guard got called and not them.

Now I haven't been boarded in International waters yet but I am sure I will be because I think it's all about the money now.
So, your bilge pumped oil into the water (yes, under a gallon, but it was oil), the guy next to you saw it and called in (to report a violation), you get pissed because the USCG came to answer the call (to check out the report), and by your account gave you decent treatment when you were flippant with them, and you get pissed at the Coast Guard for doing their job in a professional manner. And you don't really know what the police and marine patrol were thinking now, did you?

Do you have a mirror? Look into it until you can see the fault of your logic.
Catalina 22 #2133 "ITLDO"
Tomahawk Bay, Portland, OR
rorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 03:15   #63
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
But according to your logic, we should stop drug interdiction, save some money so the prices fall and the availability be much easier for our kids. Or am I missing your point? Chuck
Unless you / your kids are living up a tree 24/7 then you already have access to pretty much anything drug wise (just ask around). It's the power of freemarket capitalism

Those who want to take drugs will do so, whether legal or not. Most (still)won't.

Funnily enough the folk most scared of the end of drug prohibition are drug dealers, followed closely by those in the legal system who have created a whole industry for themselves - an industry based on pointless stupidity
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 06:09   #64

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorider View Post
So, your bilge pumped oil into the water (yes, under a gallon, but it was oil), the guy next to you saw it and called in (to report a violation), you get pissed because the USCG came to answer the call (to check out the report), and by your account gave you decent treatment when you were flippant with them, and you get pissed at the Coast Guard for doing their job in a professional manner. And you don't really know what the police and marine patrol were thinking now, did you?

Do you have a mirror? Look into it until you can see the fault of your logic.

Who told you it was oil? That's what they said or wanted to say. They haven't a clue what it was. That's the whole point. Even the witnesses there said it wasn't oil or sewage.
I understand they got a call and have to come and investigate. And I told them that. But get your facts straight before you try to pin dumping on me.
Old 20-08-2011, 06:17   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Unless you / your kids are living up a tree 24/7 then you already have access to pretty much anything drug wise (just ask around). It's the power of freemarket capitalism

Those who want to take drugs will do so, whether legal or not. Most (still)won't.

Funnily enough the folk most scared of the end of drug prohibition are drug dealers, followed closely by those in the legal system who have created a whole industry for themselves - an industry based on pointless stupidity

How much money has been wasted instead of putting it into prevention and rehabilitation instead. Used to be it was talked about in school and people were warned about the effects on the body.
All you would have to do is show a persons jail pics after getting hooked on Meth. The decline in their over all health and looks would scare the hell outta the kids and they would decided to stay away from that crap.

I have to look at the stats again but Portugal legalized most drugs or the rehab of them and their use dropped significantly. Take away the bad and people won't do it. Go figure!
Old 20-08-2011, 06:49   #66

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Sometimes after washing the dishes I look over the side and see an oily slick,is that a crime?
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 06:58   #67

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Sometimes after washing the dishes I look over the side and see an oily slick,is that a crime?
Technically yes...but most times the USCG won't do anything for gas or diesel (or recreational bilge pumps in most cases) as they all dissapate so quickly.

Even if they insist on a boom and a few pads to clean it up...which can be costly (they will authorize local coleanup company that will bill you)...there is rarely a fine to you.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 07:50   #68

Quote:
Even if they insist on a boom and a few pads to clean it up...which can be costly (they will authorize local coleanup company that will bill you)...there is rarely a fine to you.
Until you get the bill.
Old 20-08-2011, 08:25   #69

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Until you get the bill.
if you spill something...no matter what...shouldn't YOU get the bill?

keep some boom and pads around...then you won't get the bill or keep your bilge squeaky clean...can't fine you unless the can match it to your bilge water.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:49   #70

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

In a marina some sefl-righteous neighbors complained to management when some drops of varnish escaped from my brush to drop into the water. I was issued a warning.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:59   #71

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

What did he get a warning for, sounds like something the marina issued, not the authorities.
Don't see anywhere inthe rules about pine tree sap being illegal, or loggers would be in a heap of trouble every time they float logs to the mill.

If people are so scared of the USCG, sell your boat and buy a cabin in the woods and go hide. Some of these new breed sailors are embarrassing.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 09:28   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
What did he get a warning for, sounds like something the marina issued, not the authorities.
Don't see anywhere inthe rules about pine tree sap being illegal, or loggers would be in a heap of trouble every time they float logs to the mill.

If people are so scared of the USCG, sell your boat and buy a cabin in the woods and go hide. Some of these new breed sailors are embarrassing.
The post was to highlight the stupidity of over regulation.

As a liveaboard for 12 years before cruising for ten, and at the age of 71, I really don't think of myself as a "new breed of sailor".

regards John
Old 20-08-2011, 09:49   #73

Boat: Tayana 48

Well now...

USCG ROCKS! Where would we be without them. Nothing but professionals. I wish all other law enforcement would emulate those guys. Scary, yes sometimes...until you it's blowing 40, in 10-12s, at 2:00am, in a torrential downpour, 50 miles out (why always 2:00am?).

USCG My hat is off to ya!

On the other hand I have encountered US Customs officers that well...Let's save that for another post.
D Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 10:43   #74

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

1 New Breed has nothing to do with age or experience, It has to do with attitude.

Second paragraph wasn't directed at you, thats why I said some people, if I was blamin you, your name would have been mentioned.

THIRD who wrote the warning????
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 11:12   #75

Management at Grand Marina, Alameda Calif. - 1997 after a complaint from the Aux. Coast Guard

Would love to talk to you about about cynical atitudes of the "younger generation"

Give me a PM if you wish.