Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Climate Change, Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Oh, good God. First it was the sky falling now it's the SL is rising. DOOOOOOOOOOM I say again, DOOOOOOOOOOM. Should I wear my parka or swim togs? Aldous Huxley anyone? Keep it up, I'm about to have a near religious experience.
Don't worry, we won't mistake your personal incredulity for an argument or evidence. Well, actually some of us might.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Oh, good God. First it was the sky falling now it's the SL is rising. DOOOOOOOOOOM I say again, DOOOOOOOOOOM. Should I wear my parka or swim togs? Aldous Huxley anyone? Keep it up, I'm about to have a near religious experience.
It's going to take more than sarcism. But what you wear is going to be determined largely by where you live. Not difficult, so you shouldn't require anybody else's opinions in the matter. On the other hand...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
With record snowfalls in Europe (Tragedy unfolding in Europe - Is U.S. media trying to ignore it?), here is what Skeptical Science (AGW fan club) has to say about snowfall and global warming:

What the science says...
To claim that record snowfall is inconsistent with a warming world betrays a lack of understanding of the link between global warming and extreme precipitation. Warming causes more moisture in the air which leads to more extreme precipitation events. This includes more heavy snowstorms in regions where snowfall conditions are favourable. Far from contradicting global warming, record snowfall is predicted by climate models and consistent with our expectation of more extreme precipitation events.
You may find a contradiction here, but it's not even climate science, it's Meteorology 101. Your local community college probably offers such a course. Might want to look into it.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00   #109
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Once again, this is the caliber of "experts" the deniers resort to. It says a lot about that side of the argument: " Kenomac 100% correct. "

Typical Big Government disciple behavior: Ridicule, name calling, mockery & discredit. 'Doesn't bother me one bit.... probably means I got under their skin with some truth.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Typical Big Government disciple behavior: Ridicule, name calling, mockery & discredit. 'Doesn't bother me one bit.... probably means I got under their skin with some truth.
So, you think Monckton is credible? Please, put it on the record in so many words.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10   #111
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

WHOOOOPEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ALL GONNNA DIE!!!

quote from country joe and fish, woodstock 1969 august.

i give a damn, but i value my health greater than the chicken little screeching that is blocking out the realities of losing our one great now going fascist and to hell nation.
i refuse to die of stress worrying about something we have known about since i was in 4th grade, 1958 or thereabouts.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!! I ROOT FOR MOMMA NATURE. !!!!!!!!

and i am looking forward to being able to say-- "ye know, sonny, before the great flooding of the world, life was ........." as i sit on my sofa onmy back deck--err, cockpit deck, watching the sunset ..... so the pizza place in far rockaway has to move---is all part of earth and her mother nature stuff we get to go with as citizen of planet earth..
we all know what you read in the newspapers is absolute fact--- i read it in the ny telegram and son in my 4th grade year--approx 1958, for you needing resources.

so i get to not only watch and live as earth changes and has been-- guess what--planet doesnt stop changing for you to grow up in---or your kids.
i getto also watch the worriers have coronaries andstrokes while they await this DOOOM...
1958 this was already known--it was already on way to change as planet never stops changing--i still wanna know how you are going to stop the natural changing of this planet's cycles of climate.

seems easier to just sail to a different locale. evolve like everyone else does. so you have to move inland--you have noticed this planet is getting wetter in some places and has been for many decades---this wet was predicted in 1958. seems like plenty of time to find a decent house on a hilltop. or a boat...

oh yes ans some of us have been watching our shi& for longer than you have been alive.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16   #112
cruiser

Quote:
So, you think Monckton is credible? Please, put it on the record in so many words.
What in Hell are you talking about? I never said anything about whoever you're talking about.. Read the thread. Or, is this some perverted dumb-ass attempt at mockery?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22   #113
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture12534.html

Missing heat in the Pacific?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
WHOOOOPEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!! I ROOT FOR MOMMA NATURE. !!!!!

so i get to not only watch and live as earth changes and has been-- guess what--planet doesnt stop changing for you to grow up in---or your kids.

1958 this was already known--it was already on way to change as planet never stops changing--i still wanna know how you are going to stop the natural changing of this planet's cycles of climate.
If indeed the greatest contributor to rising (or falling) temperatures is cyclicle there is not much (if anything) that can be done about it. But, what if the largest contributing factor is human activity? Even if the human contribution is proportionately greater than, equal to or less - doesn't it make sense that we do whatever is possible to minimize the consequences of changes in temperature on our environment? If thinking about it, planning how you can modify your lifestyle is too stressful - then do neither.
Hopefully there will be enough 'others' who will.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What in Hell are you talking about? I never said anything out whoever you're talking about.. Read the thread. Or, is this some perverted attempt at mockery?
Um, perhaps you ought to re-read the thread that you wrote.

Your post was in response to mine about "Lord" Monckton.

You accused me of discrediting him, which he seems to have done a fine job of all on his own. You implied that it was unfair, so I asked if you personal find him credible.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:37   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
"Although similar decadal hiatus events may occur in the future, the multi-decadal warming trend is very likely to continue with greenhouse gas increase." (my emphasis)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
If indeed the greatest contributor to rising (or falling) temperatures is cyclicle there is not much (if anything) that can be done about it. But, what if the largest contributing factor is human activity? Even if the human contribution is proportionately greater than, equal to or less - doesn't it make sense that we do whatever is possible to minimize the consequences of changes in temperature on our environment?
Since the Sun, Volcanos and deep ocean hot water spouts are the largest contributing factors to an increase in global temperature, why don't you do something about those?

Please let us know how that works out.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39   #118

Quote:
Don't worry, we won't mistake your personal incredulity for an argument or evidence. Well, actually some of us might.
Evidence? You want evidence? I'll put up 100 units. You shall also put up, to stake, a similar sum. You can even name the denomination. (USD,CDN, AUD, peso, quid, baht, yen, etc) Any monies to be exchanged shall be forwarded to CruisersForums.com, or to the hands of the or an administrators or an administrator of this webpage. Such decision shall reside with or be determined by solely with and to the aforementioned administrator(s).

The rules are you post whatever you have in your hand. I call. I'll even let the illustrious CF gang be the judge of who wins. That's how sure I am.

You say climate change is wholly man made. Do I have that right? If not, please explain your side of the debate in your own terms. Do not post links, I want to hear your own cogent argument for your side.

In debate, I will argue my side and without posting links to other webpages, blogs, or other. My argument will consist of my own words. To be clear, my side is that climate change is wholly independent of man-made artifice. Further, whatever climatic change on a global scale has come about is not, repeat not, significantly derived from, resultant of, numerically based upon, and or, incumbent upon the manifestations of man, ie, humans. Are there any words or terms here which you require further definition?

This is a direct challenge to you either to put up or shut up. Let the merriment commence. Either you or I have 100 units withdrawn from our accounts as decided by a largely biased CF contingent. I remind you, it is a contingent biased in your behalf.

There is no time limit. I am sorry to say this but even given the rapidity of the internet there still must be time allowed for each of us to put together a proper response to the other. I don't measure my life according to the internet and I suspect you do not either. Therefore, proper consideration shall be afforded to each of us in this debate.

Do we have a deal?

By answering in the affirmative you are entering into a legally binding contract. While no legal action will be taken towards you by me, by your acceptance you agree to pay the afore stated sum to the administrators of this web page. You may choose to decline as you are entitled. This contract shall extend only to the parties known as Sneuman and Richard5.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47   #119

Quote:
Since the Sun, Volcanos and deep ocean hot water spouts are the largest contributing factors to an increase in global temperature, why don't you do something about those?

Please let us know how that works out.
Looks like a nonsensical shot across my bow. Sure, add them to the 'uncontrollable' contributors to change in my sentence. Totally reasonable. Still, the thrust of what I said remains unchanged.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48   #120

Boat: Catalina 30
I am now convinced. I indeed follow the rest of the herd and let the folk that know more than I run my life. Free will is overrated anyway.

I believe Mother Earth would be better off if human society reverted back into an agrarian system. Also, since the uncontrolled burning of fossil fuels is bad maybe we should for collectives and control movement of members. The members, (we can call them surfs), can work the land whilst the more educated class ( whom we can call lords) decide who does what and if the surfs can move about.
Closed Thread