Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 11:50   #241
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Call me a skeptical cynic, but when I see a story about the views of Bjorn Lomborg, and written by Bjorn Lomborg, my BS antennae are highly activated.

A much more fascinating and balanced look at our present climatic situation was broadcast Tuesday evening on the PBS program, Nova. Entitled "Dimming the Sun," it investigated the measurable decrease in solar radiation reaching the earth's surface in the last thirty years or so.

At first blush, this seems counter-intuitive given the, also measurable, increase in greenhouse gases and temperature (global warming) at the same time.

The cause of the solar dimming has been traced to the pumping of small particulate pollution into the atmosphere. The tiny particulate pollution attracts moisture in the atmosphere, and the resultant droplets act as minute mirrors, reflecting some of the sun's radiation back into space.

How much? About 25%!

The irony is that the solar dimming has mitigated the full impact of the concurrent global warming, thus lessening the worst effects of increasing temperatures. However, further irony lies in the consequences of mankind's attempts (measurably successful) to lessen the production and release of small particle pollution. Thus, in reducing such pollution, we expose ourselves to the full impact of global warming, whatever its cause.

Sort of a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" scenario.

Here's a link to the "Dimming the Sun" homepage:

NOVA | Dimming the Sun | PBS

And here's a link to the "TV Program Description" page:

NOVA | Dimming the Sun | TV Program Description | PBS

TaoJones
Old 07-09-2007, 14:08   #242

Boat: Fantasia 35
Latitude38.com has an note about the s/v Ariel transiting the 2000 mile Northwest Passage, from Greenland to Nome, Alaska.

Latitude 38 - Northern California's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 16:52   #243

Not so fast!:
A BRITISH yachtsman attempting the first solo Arctic sea passage across northern Russia was examining his options after heavier than expected ice blocked his route, his manager said.

Below is the link to the story & picture that was posted here - The article & picture was by the Australian Hearld Sun - Cruiser's Forum Moderator.

Ice blocks British solo sailor | Herald Sun
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 18:03   #244

Boat: Fantasia 35
Sorry all, it was s/v Cloud Nine and not s/v Ariel that made the passage from Greenland to Nome.

It is so exciting to think that in a couple of years I will be able to complete my circumnavigation via the Northwest Passage. What a great time to be alive!!!!!
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 18:22   #245

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I'm patiently waiting for Dorado in Puget Sound!

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 20:14   #246

::shrug::

Climate change/global warming appears to me to be an existing and developing trend, which I verify by checking out the northward migration of viable cash crops over the past century in my home areas. In my opinion global warming is as likely as pre-dustbowl (oh yah, that *other* man-made large scale climate change...) crops will be planted next spring are unlikely.

On the other hand, I don't consider this to be a disaster.

Just as current cultural evolution is pushing humanity toward stupidity and ignorance, the imbalance of equilibrium in the thermal dynamic systems of the planet are a cosmically brief wobble which will eventually sort itself out. Most likely humanity and life on the planet will adapt to whatever comes up; or not.

In the meantime, I'd like to be able to predict if there will be some/too much/any wind tomorrow.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:10   #247

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Thought I would throw this link in: http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology...3582433&page=1
it's from ABC news, Sept 11, 2007. Guess we can include the Arctic Ocean as a new cruising ground in the summer in the coming years, even for those of us in fiberglass!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03   #248

"2007 has already broken the record for the lowest amount of sea ice ever recorded, say scientists, smashing the old record set in 2005."

That's the quote from the article you cite WW. The only trouble is that they fail to mention that the "start date" for this record is in the mid 70's when satellite monitoring became possible. So...it is a 40 year old record while the article WANTS you to believe it is a global catastrophe. And that is only a record if you believe the data and collection measurements and methodology.
Measured temps in the Arctic were actually warmer in the 1920's and 30's than they are today...but we thought that was a good thing back then since we didn't have the media and global warming money machine to tell us differently.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:52   #249
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For me, these are the salient passages from the article Waterworldly provided:

"Scientists say the rate of melting in 2007 has been unprecedented, and veteran ice researchers worry the Arctic is on track to be completely ice-free much earlier than previous research and climate models have suggested."
~ ~ ~
". . . white sea ice also acts as a mirror at the top of the planet, reflecting much of the sun's energy back into space. As it melts, it reveals darker water that absorbs more energy from the sun -- further warming the ocean in a process scientists call a 'feedback'."

TaoJones

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08   #250

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
". . . white sea ice also acts as a mirror at the top of the planet, reflecting much of the sun's energy back into space. As it melts, it reveals darker water that absorbs more energy from the sun -- further warming the ocean in a process scientists call a 'feedback'."

The "problem" as I see it is all those Greenies with their BLACK solar panels!

<sarc>

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 20:58   #251
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
My take on this is, while we get more technical intruments for measuring things in more detail....we slide into a sometimes skewed interpretation.

The above post about 40 years of satellite observations makes my point.

The proponents of man made global warming are those scientists who are being paid to give those opinions via grants. Thee are few if any funded studies to refute that.
That is the way modern scientific research has gone.

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics was that Samuel Clemens?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 04:19   #252

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
THere is a lot more money available to those who are prepared to give spurious evidence against it. In my own field of plant physiology I am well aware of the increases in CO2 and there is quite strong evidence of shifting in the range of vegetatation , including algae.
Even without global warming, we are going to lose are coral reefs due to the increase in acidification of the oceans. That seems of some importance to me.
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 07:34   #253

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Only think tanks give grants to "support conclusion X", and think tank science is no science at all (e.g. Heartland Institute, AEI).

Integrity is the currency of science, and individual scientists who promote spurious evidence very quickly find themselves working in IT (at best) or for think tanks (at worst), crying about conspiracy.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 08:35   #254

Boat: Ensenada 20
Haven't read this entire thread, so this may have been mentioned -- but, haven't the last two winters in Europe been a good bit colder than "normal"????

Here in Kentucky, USA, our spring and summer this year are both a little cooler than usual.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 09:01   #255
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

yes I too believe it is getting colder. a recent NASA picture showed that in fact the arctic ice cap is actually growing over the last several years. yes this is climate change. this is not global warming as some would have us believe. we are not responsible for these events and they are beyond our control.