Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2007, 08:44   #226

Well this is where your wild pre-conceived notions lead you astray, Tspringer. I make more than 80% of the country, including most people in your age group. What I do for a living is self taught, and has nothing to do with my formal education. It is not a matter of political correctness. I've learned a few things in my life, and one of them is not to make these wild assumptions about people. It reflects poorly on your character. I thought you were just drunk when you made those comments and that maybe you would return with an apology.

You seem to think the US economy is teetering on collapse for the last 30 years, I think that is a pretty bold analysis, you aught to just come right out and make another doomsday prediction. Lets have a solid date range of when this major collapse is coming.

I would agree though that social security is a major problem that should have been dealt with already. I'm very sad that private social security never came to be. Your generation will benefit but I am left wondering. No matter, we youngins' have given up on the system. My investment account is invested mostly in the Chinese market, not because the US economy is bound for collapse, just that China is experiencing more growth. I believe both markets will continue to grow, and we are mutually dependent on each other.

You also don't seem to comprehend the degree to which investments in the United States are paying off. This is where all the innovation is happening. There are a handful of other countries I will say the same about. There are numerous arguments for inflation and debt, to be brief, inflation has a moderating effect on our economy, debt is used as a tool for foreign relations, and as a political strategy by conservatives.

Starve the beast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you feel the pressure is too much and the impending doom is near, you can always jump ship and go to one of the other countries. When will that day come for you?
zardinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 09:14   #227
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
The real danger associated with carbon dioxide...

Geochemical Consequences of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide on Coral Reefs
Joan A. Kleypas, 1* Robert W. Buddemeier, 2 David Archer, 3 Jean-Pierre Gattuso, 4 Chris Langdon, 5 Bradley N. Opdyke 6
A coral reef represents the net accumulation of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) produced by corals and other calcifying organisms. If calcification declines, then reef-building capacity also declines. Coral reef calcification depends on the saturation state of the carbonate mineral aragonite of surface waters. By the middle of the next century, an increased concentration of carbon dioxide will decrease the aragonite saturation state in the tropics by 30percent and biogenic aragonite precipitation by 14to 30percent. Coral reefs are particularly threatened, because reef-building organisms secrete metastable forms of CaCO3, but the biogeochemical consequences on other calcifying marine ecosystems may be equally severe.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 15:10   #228
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
"I am a offended that you would even bring up my age, and then insult my intelligence. It was requested that nobody make personal attacks, but I think this constitutes a personal attack.

Sincere apologies regarding your advancing years but you brought up the age subject.
No apology, sincere or otherwise, is due me, Ex-Calif, as the quote you seem to think came from me is actually from Zardinuk's reply to me. And, for the record, I was just trying to have a little fun with Zardinuk about his youth, as the emoticon I used is meant to convey, but it apparently eluded you both. C'est la vie . . .

I don't personally regard anyone's age as necessarily signifying anything, least of all my own. I do know, though, that, in my case, I learned a great deal more about almost everything - and especially economics - after I graduated from college. I believe that's because I was free to satisfy my curiousity as I saw fit, and didn't have to "learn" what someone who was grading me already "knew." Eliminating the middle-man made learning fun again.

I'm sure you will take this the wrong way, Ex-Calif, but you should use the Quote button the site provides, so that errors like the one noted above won't recur. If you aren't sure how to do it, read through the FAQs, or, if necessary, ask one of the moderators, but please don't extract words from another forum member and attribute them to someone else. That kind of thing is the kiss of death for sites such as this.

TaoJones
Old 28-06-2007, 17:43   #229
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones
<snip> And, for the record, I was just trying to have a little fun with Zardinuk about his youth, as the emoticon I used is meant to convey, but it apparently eluded you both. <snip>
Actually emotion almost never comes out properly in written text.

Quote:
<snip>I'm sure you will take this the wrong way, Ex-Calif, <snip>
I am very hard to insult. If I went around my life crying at every perceived harm I would be a very sad person.

Quote:
but you should use the Quote button the site provides, so that errors like the one noted above won't recur. If you aren't sure how to do it, <snip>

TaoJones
I'm pretty sure I can use a quote button.

Why don't we get back to talking about sailing now, shall we.

Thanks
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 12:27   #230

Quote:
No apology, sincere or otherwise, is due me, Ex-Calif, as the quote you seem to think came from me is actually from Zardinuk's reply to me. And, for the record, I was just trying to have a little fun with Zardinuk about his youth, as the emoticon I used is meant to convey, but it apparently eluded you both. C'est la vie . . .
Apology accepted
Old 29-06-2007, 13:36   #231
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let's recap, shall we?

I post a gentle jibe at Zardinuk, and try to get him into a discussion on our diametrically opposed views of economics.

Ex-Cal butts in and takes me to task by calling my jibe weak.

Zardinuk finally answers my post by co-signing Ex-Cal's "weak" judgement, and feels I've made a personal attack on him and insulted his intelligence.

Ex-Cal extracts from Zardinuk's post the "insulted intelligence" remark, which he seems to think I wrote, and apologizes to me, in error, for having caused the "insult," stating "Sincere apologies regarding your advancing years but you brought up the age subject."

I post a reply pointing out to Ex-Cal that he doesn't owe me an apology, because the extracted comment he attached the apology to actually came from Zardinuk.

Zardinuk reads my reply to Ex-Cal pointing out his error, and takes possession of the free-floating apology Ex-Cal had lobbed into the mix.

I suppose in the hands of one of the better British humour writers, this might be fashioned into a Comedy of Errors. For me, though, only one word seems appropriate: Surreal.

TaoJones
Old 29-06-2007, 13:39   #232

Quote:
Zardinuk reads my reply to Ex-Cal pointing out his error, and takes possession of the free-floating apology Ex-Cal had lobbed into the mix.
Ah, TaoJones, not so quick. You see, that little happy face at the end of my comment meant I was joking. While not a formal apology, if it wasn't your intent to insult me, then no offense is taken.
Old 29-06-2007, 13:57   #233
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fair enough.

TaoJones
Old 29-06-2007, 17:11   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Hey. If it makes ya'll feel better I'll lob apologies all day - Sorry, sorry, sorry. And If smilies make it all better I'll include plenty o' them!

Now that the insencere apology session is over if either the old fart or the young whipersnapper want a real apology (accompanied by beer and sailing) please come on by we are open 24X7 :cubalibre
Old 29-06-2007, 18:34   #235
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a good time, Ex-Cal! Of course, by issuing the invitation, I guess this all goes on your tab, huh? I'll check Expedia and get the best deal on a R/T ticket, LAX/Singapore - can you forward your American Express card number to me in a PM, please?

By the way, from the point of view of a young whippersnapper like Z, you're an old fart, too! My ex-wife is younger than you are, Ex-Cal! (I think I'd rather sail and drink with you and Z, though.) So, with your connections, can you reserve the best top floor suite for us at Raffles? We'll meet you in the Writer's Bar.

Now, where the hell is the emoticon for Group Hug??!!

TaoJones
Old 30-06-2007, 10:46   #236

Alarmist global warming claims melt under scientific scrutiny :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Other Views
Old 30-06-2007, 19:51   #237
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
can you forward your American Express card number to me in a PM, please?
Oh, yeah. Sure - On the way - LOL

Quote:
So, with your connections, can you reserve the best top floor suite for us at Raffles? We'll meet you in the Writer's Bar.
Nah, not Raffles. You have me confused with a person of culthcha!

I know a bunch of other places where we might meet ladies of quality and breeding, consume beers of international origin and forget about ex-wives for a while
Old 01-07-2007, 00:12   #238
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Ground floor...

I'd meet up in that ground floor restaurant at Raffles that serves Singaporean food.

We dined there with a local and it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 18:17   #239

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Another side to the story

It seems it can be good for ones health. I sure can relate to that.

Global Warming, the Great Lifesaver | Global Warming | DISCOVER Magazine
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04   #240

That's a fairly narrow view of the problem. I'd put that up there with saying that a nuclear war is good, because everyone hiding in their bunkers will get less sun, thereby reducing cases of skin cancer. Fairly narrow.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote