Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2007, 08:36   #151

Pwederell....The great global warming swindle certainly has more meat to it than ...AL Gore's "an inconvient truth"... but then again how would you know?

BTW Greenland was way warmer between 800AD and 1200AD than it is now and it didnt have a catastrophic meltdown of the northern icecaps...the oceans didnt rise then either
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 12:05   #152

They are coming after your MEAT just as soon as they get your Hummer DelMarrey! (G)
"a BMW is less responsible than a Big Mac for "climate change," that conveniently imprecise name for our peril. This is because the world meat industry produces 18 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, more than transportation produces. Nitrous oxide in manure (warming effect: 296 times greater than that of carbon) and methane from animal flatulence (23 times greater) mean that "a 16-oz. T-bone is like a Hummer on a plate."

George F. Will - Fuzzy Climate Math - washingtonpost.com
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 12:26   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
This is just a friendly reminder Folks.
This topic is a hot one. And the views of each poster is of personal conviction. Each has a right to there views and beliefs. Please respect one another and ensure that you do not personaly attack another participant. This Forum is for debate on the SUBJECT HEADING ONLY. It is not for forcing ones personal beliefs and views down the throat of another. It IS NOT a place for ridiculing someone elses views that may differ from your own.
Thank-you.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 14:05   #154

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I know one thing for sure!

I wouldn't want to live too far North of Mexico or in the upper altitudes if the weather were to change enough to start building up the glaciers again.

BTW What ever happen to the theory the the earth was changing on its axis?

http://www.livescience.com/environme...arth_tilt.html
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 04:26   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
An interesting Side Bar ~ A Hot Snowball
European scientists, on Wednesday, reported that they had found a far-off, hot Neptune-sized planet that is mostly made of ice.

The planet GJ 436b appears to have a surface temperature of about 250 C, a team of Swiss and Belgian researchers reported. Strangely, the water stays frozen due to extremely high pressure.

"Water has more than a dozen solid states, only one of which is our familiar ice," said study team member Frederic Pont of the University of Geneva in Switzerland.

In the same way that carbon can transform into diamonds under extreme pressures, water turns into other solid states denser than both liquid and ice under very high pressures. Physicists call these alternative forms of water Ice VII and Ice X.

"If Earth's oceans were much deeper, there would be such exotic forms of solid water at the bottom," Pont said.

Goto: SPACE.com -- Exotic World Said to Harbor 'Hot Ice'

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 04:48   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
I wouldn't want to live too far North of Mexico or in the upper altitudes if the weather were to change enough to start building up the glaciers again.
BTW What ever happen to the theory the the earth was changing on its axis?
LiveScience.com: Ice Ages Blamed on Tilted Earth
I'm less worried about axial instability, than magnetic pole reversal.

Science has documented numerous reversals of the Earth's magnetic field in the past. Another reversal is pending. How long will it take?

We could, perhaps, take comfort in the knowledge that these reversals happen infrequently - on average every 250,000 years - but maybe not, when we consider that it's been over 700,000 years since the last reversal.
However, though the interval between reversals of the Earth’s magnetic field can be as short as 5,000 years, it can also be as long as 50 million years.

The sun reverses its magnetic field like clockwork every eleven years at the peak of the sunspot cycle. The next solar flip is due in 2012.

I'm worried, folks!!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 12:25   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interstingly, if we were able to take a "block" of water from the deepest parts of the ocean and bring it to the surface, it would have ruffly the same density as concrete. Even though it was still liquid. Anything living thing at that depth has a similar pressure density, so living down there, the creature would not know any difference. Brought to the surface, the creature will die rapidly, if not way before it even reached the surface, due to the enourmouse pressure release. It would be like us opening the door on a space craft with no space suit on.
On the magnetic flip of the Earth, so far from what I have read, no one has discussed what the result on earth woudl be. It is known that magnetic particles in rock etc flip as the rock is made. That's how it is known the the feild flips. But I am unsure if permanent magnetic materials that already exist, change their poles. If they did, then we would have major issues with electricity generation and motors changing direction and so on and so on. If it has no affectr at all, then the only concern would be taking a trip out onto the ocean far from site of land and having a compleate 180degree course change without knowing it.

Old 17-05-2007, 20:20   #158

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When I lived in Saudi Arabia, we travelled into the desert and found dried up lake beds with sea shells, petrified animal bones, and stone age artifacts in great abundance. It seems that during the last ice age, the Arabian peninsula was a paradise.

In other areas of desert landscape, we found whole petrified trees in the sandy Empty Quarter. It's obvious that climate change has been going on forever, and it has been happening without the intervention of "civilization".

At present, the strongest evidence against man induced global warming is the fact that politicians are now getting on the global warming bandwagon. When the politicians get on board, it's time to jump ship.

In my experience, most politicians are so crooked that you will have to screw them into the ground to bury them when they die. If I had to identify the most significant cause of global warming, I would have to blame the politicians. They put out so much hot air that you would expect the world to warm up as they spew out their political palaver. And don't forget, there are more politicans on planet earth now than at any other time in the history of the world. They breathe in oxygen, and exhale CO2. My recommendation to lower CO2 and decrease the amount of hot air is to get rid of all the politicans. Finally, we have a sensible and workable plan to combat global warming.

Cheers,
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 21:07   #159
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why do you have to bury Politicians 10ft down instead of the normal 6ft down.????

Because deep down, they're really nice people.

Old 17-05-2007, 21:13   #160

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
This thread is finally starting to make sense!

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 09:10   #161

Way at the top of this page Gord said...A single contrary view, does not a consensus break

First, I would remind that while Prof Lindzen is one person...there are 17000 scientists that have signed the "anti" petition cited earlier in this thread and THAT seems to me to be a lot of scientificaly educated folks who disagree with the "consensus". Especially when going against the consensus can have career repercussions...

University of Washington climate scientist Mark Albright was dismissed on March 12 from his position as associate state climatologist, just weeks after exposing false claims of shrinking glaciers in the Cascade Mountains.

Full story here:
Associate State Climatologist Fired for Exposing Warming Myths - by James M. Taylor - The Heartland Institute

Oh BTW...the guy doing the dismissing is the one whose data was challenged and HE is also one of the authors of the IPCC document that is cited so often as proof of the consensus!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 10:36   #162

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Ok say Climate change does happen

What are all you SAILING people complaining about?

Our accessible world just got that much larger! Just think, you would get to anchor in downtown Miami and no one would complain! I'm sure everyone here would love to be able to sail to Amsterdam and anchor, not even mentioning all the places in the near east.

And for all those people who live in central texas just south of the hill country, Hey! Beach front Property!

For all those environmentalist complaining about losing reef systems. With global warming they just get deeper, and we get more of the manmade kind right there along the waters edge where they need to be!

Smile guys, there is a light (or is the lite) side to everything.

2divers
Old 18-05-2007, 12:30   #163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm sure everyone here would love to be able to sail to Amsterdam and anchor,
You can leave me out of that "everyone" list thanks :-)

The biggest problem with Global warming "what ever the cause" is the weather extreams as Nature goes about trying to maintain the natural balance of temperature.

Old 18-05-2007, 14:50   #164

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2divers
What are all you SAILING people complaining about?
And for all those people who live in central texas just south of the hill country, Hey! Beach front Property!
2divers
I'm just hoping for Columbus. A thirty minute drive to the boat from the farm would be nice. Just imagine using the Williams tower for a mark in an offshore race.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 15:00   #165
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
On the magnetic flip of the Earth, so far from what I have read, no one has discussed what the result on earth woudl be. It is known that magnetic particles in rock etc flip as the rock is made. That's how it is known the the feild flips. But I am unsure if permanent magnetic materials that already exist, change their poles. If they did, then we would have major issues with electricity generation and motors changing direction and so on and so on. If it has no affectr at all, then the only concern would be taking a trip out onto the ocean far from site of land and having a compleate 180degree course change without knowing it.
Well, there is indeed one thing you would have to worry about (since it would kill you) during the pole reversal. During the reversal, the Earth would temporarily lose its magnetosphere. No more pretty auroras... just deadly radiation beaming directly into the top of your skull.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote