Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 19:44   #16

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Climate Change

It is obvious we have climate change, if we didn't we would atill be in an ice age. We have been warming since the glaciers cut across America. A lot of the hype though is not very realistic. You hear about Florida sinking below the sea and inability to grow crops, etc. The atmosphere cools 2 degrees centigrade per 1000 feet of altitude. I think that is about the equivalent of moving north about 300 miles per degree C. If what we have been told by these scientists that we might increase 10 degrees in 100 years, well that is like moving from Denver down to Florida. I don't see the change being that catestrophic but seems to me we will just make things more live able. The climate has made numerous changes and as a species we will either adapt to it or die out. I think we are smart enough to see how to live with whatever happens. I have big doubts that mankind has contributed much to the change. We are too insignificant on this planet even though some of you big ego types think otherwise! Seems to me the scienc community has had a good run on grants dealing with this stuff. We can't even predict the weather with much certainty, how can we explain global warming is manmade with any degree of credibility!
Old 08-08-2013, 19:59   #17

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

[QUOTE=Krogensailor;1306076]It boggles the mind that 90+% of the science community has zero doubt that we are not in a 'normal' cycle. /QUOTE]

Boggling the mind is exactly what the alarmists are trying to do. But even their statistics on how many scientists agree with them are intentionally misleading. Here is my reference: Global Warming Alarmists Caught Doctoring '97-Percent Consensus' Claims - Forbes

I am alarmed but not about climate change. It is ridiculous that Al Gore flys around preaching his alarm then goes home to his 10,000 sq ft house where he spends the million dollar prize he got just keeping the lights on and the air conditioning running.
Old 08-08-2013, 20:02   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I'm a PhD dropout in Molecular Genetics. I'm a dropout, because I quickly caught on to the "follow the money" in research.

Please review the attachment. The scientists at the time were actually advocating spreading coal dust on the icecaps, to slow down global cooling.

I'm betting that this is how, 20 years from now, we'll view today's climatologists.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf newsweek-coolingworld.pdf (293.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 20:22   #19

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

I don't really want to touch too much on the whole 'manmade' thing or not, but a lot of people seem to think we aren't capable of it. We're capable of a lot more than some individuals care to remember. There's a thread going on right now about overfishing. We've hunted things into extinction. It isn't an implausible thought that we can - and probably do - do serious damage to our environment.

All that aside, the weather up here just seems to get stranger and stranger with time.
Old 08-08-2013, 20:29   #20

Boat: Kristen 52

Dennis Miller Global Warming.mpg - YouTube
Old 08-08-2013, 20:53   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Regrettable but true.

Five minutes on Google I could provide plenty of links to disprove that
Old 08-08-2013, 21:06   #22

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"I am alarmed but not about climate change. It is ridiculous that Al Gore flys around preaching his alarm then goes home to his 10,000 sq ft house where he spends the million dollar prize he got just keeping the lights on and the air conditioning running." This comment is not driven by intellectual curiosity or inquiry. It is driven by ideology. We seem to have parked our sense of respect for others and their views. I reminded of a case in point. I was sitting in the Bay Pines, fl. V,A. center some time ago. I was waiting in a chair, there was a TV playing, I don't watch TV so i was just sitting. An old fellow, older than me sat down and started complaining about the president, who was on the screen. Just brutal, hateful, contempt. I suggested that maybe he's not as bad as some and not as good as others. That was all he required to attack me. "Your one of those liberal, bla bla bla." There was no way to even think about reasoning with such a person. So I moved. I thought about for some time. And I wondered, how it is that two men who together laid their lives on the line, stood shoulder to shoulder, defending our country, dying in the process. Sitting in these 'United' states, how is it that I am now his enemy?. And make no mistake, this ideological contempt emanates from one side of the isle. I would have been and am more than willing to have my opinion and let him/others have theirs. The gist of this thread is not whether there is or is not a problem! The gist is , how do we, as in those who think there is a problem, cope, feel, think about the problem. Your plain and simple contempt for that premise, demonstrated by the above nonsensical political comment is the same as that old guy, not on point. Not relevant. We're not talking about your end of the boat or my end of the boat. We're talking about THE boat. The one were both in, together. It makes no sense me telling you that your end of the boat is sinking! We on this forum say we never use a single source for navigation. Cross check every assumption. And if in doubt, assume there is a reef in front of you. And plan accordingly.
Old 08-08-2013, 21:16   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

O well, I could always use some more water at the dock ! We are at 6ft now and if we had more I could get a deeper boat LOL
Old 08-08-2013, 21:19   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

1st post and its a subject like this?

Troll.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-08-2013, 21:28   #25

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I for one don't like hot weather.... Nothing about it says paradise to me. It seems that science is threatening the rice bowl of certain folks. Their reaction is inappropriate. Ignore logic and suffer.
Old 08-08-2013, 21:30   #26

"1st post and its a subject like this?

Troll."

I didn't notice that, you may be right. But still.
Old 08-08-2013, 21:34   #27

The level of dumb in this thread is shocking. Maybe it's a good thing these threads get locked.

Climate change is happening. Mankind has had a large effect on that. There are no reputable climatologists not directly funded by big energy who disagree. There are lots of ignorant righties who disagree because thats what they were told to think.

• The effects: Every continent will lose valuable land mass. Manhatten may need a dike within 100 years lest 25% of it disappear. Small island chains will disappear. That is already happening. Some agricultural regions will become unuseable. There will be some areas that become agriculturally viable. Scientists theorised that we would see more and more weather (rain, storms, winds etc) globally. Currently however most believe we will see more extreme weather rather than more. The recent hurricanes etc are Anecdotal data. No climatologist will claim they are due to climate change... the science doesnt work that way. The science is based on long term statistical data... which requires data collected over a long term.
  • How it does/will affect us. Potential famines. More extreme weather... doesnt bode well for sailors. lots of salvage boats. Some of those little nook island nations you love may dissapear in your lifetime
This is science. Neither it nor reality are affected by how you "feel", what your politics are, or who you vote for. The universe doesnt care. And like all science the scientists dont have their ego's riding on anything. The most exciting thing you can show a scientist is proof something the scientific community accepted as fact is wrong. Because that opens up whole new avenues of thought and research.
Old 08-08-2013, 21:43   #28

"This comment is not driven by intellectual curiosity or inquiry. It is driven by ideology."

Come on it's the same with those talking about "climate change". The climate change proponents have made it like a religion with Al Gore as their Jesus. Not to mention the research lobby of scientists whose career and fortunes depend on "more research" grants and money flowing into their labs and Universities to study global warming er "climate change". They have a vested interest in perpetuating the fear spread by Jesus Gore. Unfortunately, the Michael Mann incident showed how disingenuous some of that research was and put a black mark on the whole "science" of the issue. I agree there is climate change going on. It had been going on for a long time on this planet and will be going for a long time after we are gone.
Old 08-08-2013, 21:46   #29

"I agree there is climate change going on. It had been going on for a long time on this planet and will be going for a long time after we are gone.",, sans the political rant.
Old 08-08-2013, 22:52   #30

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
we can sail the North-West passage in a Bavaria.
Here is a Bavaria sailing in Kamchatka:

I guess, these guys were looking for a nice boat, and nobody told them that it was impossible to do this in a Bavaria
Closed Thread

Tags
Climate Change, Global Warming