Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 15:13   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17
Cheap Chartering ?

I've been looking to charter a boat in BVI (or anywhere in the Caribbean) during the winter and am not having much luck finding anything reasonably priced. I'm mainly interested in chartering a Cat, which is even more expensive. I've been looking at prices of $1k/day for 3 people.

I don't know what chartering includes, but it seems too pricey for what I'm looking for. Basically, we are just looking to use it as a hotel on wheels as we go island hopping, etc.

Paying $1,000/day seems excessive. So I'm just curious if there's a "classified" section or something offered by a non-chartering company, but instead by people (even on this forum), which provide such services? Aren't there live-aboard people in the Caribbean who wouldn't mind company for a week while sailing the islands and even get paid for all the costs while doing it? I imagine when I'm in the same position (retired on my boat), I wouldn't mind having a couple on the boat for a while as we do what we do anyway and even make some money doing it. Heck, it would be fun meeting new/interesting people. It seems like a win-win to me(?).

Anyone have ideas or am I dreaming?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Paradise Dreams
ParadiseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chesapeake Region and Maine
Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Posts: 4,038
Images: 4
Chartering IS expensive...everywhere. After all, who wants to invest, say, $350,000 in a boat and charter it at a low rate to an unknown character who wants to use it as a hotel and just go island hopping? What about insurance? Upkeep? Payments?

Not meaning to bust your b...s, but boats are expensive and there's no way 'round that fact.

Been sailing in the USVI and BVI for over 40 years. There are lots of fun options besides chartering.

One thing you might think of: plan on staying ashore, but riding ferries (unbelievably cheap) from island-to-island and doing day-sails with some of the big charter boats. That would be way cheaper than chartering a boat yourself. And, a heck of a lot of fun, too :-)

If you're dead set on chartering, check out some of the many "secondary level" or "tertiary" charter companies, not just the Moorings or Sunsail. Also, check out the online ads.

Bill
__________________

__________________
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:45   #3
Registered User
 
s/v Moondancer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fiji but heading for Alaska
Boat: Tayana 55
Posts: 1,225
Bad economy...prices drop when they can't charter the boats. We paid $3000 for a 49 ft sloop for 6 people in Grenada last winter and could have had a 42 ft cat in St Vincent.

But for 3 people get a 35 ft sloop.

Yacht Charter Vacations from Horizon Yacht Charters are a good secondary company
__________________
Phil

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 16:09   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Chartering IS expensive...everywhere. After all, who wants to invest, say, $350,000 in a boat and charter it at a low rate to an unknown character who wants to use it as a hotel and just go island hopping? What about insurance? Upkeep? Payments?

Not meaning to bust your b...s, but boats are expensive and there's no way 'round that fact.

Been sailing in the USVI and BVI for over 40 years. There are lots of fun options besides chartering.

One thing you might think of: plan on staying ashore, but riding ferries (unbelievably cheap) from island-to-island and doing day-sails with some of the big charter boats. That would be way cheaper than chartering a boat yourself. And, a heck of a lot of fun, too :-)

If you're dead set on chartering, check out some of the many "secondary level" or "tertiary" charter companies, not just the Moorings or Sunsail. Also, check out the online ads.

Bill
Bill,

I'm pretty sure the expense doesn't add to $365k/year, because if it does then you may as well not maintain them and treat them as disposable. Throw them away after 350 days.

I'm not looking for a chartering company, who has all kinds of staff expenses, advertising expenses, maintenance expenses (from abuse, not use), needs to make a profit, offices, various vessel turnover, etc. Aren't there just regular "mom & pop" type "things," where they're cruising in the Caribbean anyway, why not make a few thousand doing it with someone else? Think of it like a local bed & breakfast instead of a hotel chain.

If I stay ashore I have no plans on riding anything, it ruins the point. I've done that plenty. It's not nearly the same thing. The whole point is to live on the boat, help run it, maintain it, cook, etc.

I guess I'll look into the secondary/tertiary charter companies... I just hope it's not one of those things where I'm just treated like a prince and I basically just hired everyone out, because that's not at all the experience I want.
__________________
Paradise Dreams
ParadiseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 16:11   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Bad economy...prices drop when they can't charter the boats. We paid $3000 for a 49 ft sloop for 6 people in Grenada last winter and could have had a 42 ft cat in St Vincent.

But for 3 people get a 35 ft sloop.

Yacht Charter Vacations from Horizon Yacht Charters are a good secondary company
Thanks, looks interesting. The last minute deals are more along the line of what I'm looking for. I guess I'll be looking at this kind of stuff in the future! Thank you. Oh, and thanks for the info!
__________________
Paradise Dreams
ParadiseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 16:42   #6
Registered User
 
cdennyb's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern California
Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Posts: 505
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Yahoo to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
check out Mustang Sally

A couple down there charter a few weeks out of the year. It's a 42 or 44 ft Voyage Cat and they are online with their own web page not thru a charter company. Don't remember the prices but for 2 couples it was better than those mentioned above.http://www.sailmustangsally.com/
They're on the board here too.
__________________
the perfect dive boat is one you're on...
cdennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 19:13   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Woodlands TX
Posts: 19
You might try the following site. They have discounted rates when the boats are available.

Yacht charter last minute and special offers worldwide from LateSail Yacht Charters
__________________
captainron369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 21:48   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
bstreep's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX/Port Aransas, TX
Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Posts: 2,274
Go with a 2nd tier charter company like BVI Yacht Charters. In the off season, you will pay a fraction of your $1000/day. Yes, you might be able to find a private boat. But, after you pay for airfare, provisioning, etc. - if you lose a couple of days, it gets VERY expensive.

The charter business is like many/most businesses. There is little if any money in it. The boats are generally fairly priced.
__________________
Bill Streep
San Antonio/Port Aransas, TX
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,586
Images: 240
Mustang Sally Rates ➥ Mustang Sally ~ 44' Luxury Charter Catamaran

Mustang Sally is For Sale

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ran-39716.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
A couple down there charter a few weeks out of the year. It's a 42 or 44 ft Voyage Cat ...
It's a Voyage 430
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron369 View Post
You might try the following site. They have discounted rates when the boats are available.

Yacht charter last minute and special offers worldwide from LateSail Yacht Charters
Yeah, this is the kind of link I needed. Awesome

Mustang Sally looks very nice, but again, it's $1,000+/day. Talking about which, it looks like they require a 15-20% gratuity? Is that pretty standard? Since when is "gratuity" required? Looks like you get great service with Mustang Sally, but it's just outside of my price range. Wonder if they do last minute deals?
__________________
Paradise Dreams
ParadiseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39   #11
Registered User
 
fishwife's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South coast of England, moving around a bit.
Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDreams View Post
Yeah, this is the kind of link I needed. Awesome

Mustang Sally looks very nice, but again, it's $1,000+/day. Talking about which, it looks like they require a 15-20% gratuity? Is that pretty standard? Since when is "gratuity" required? Looks like you get great service with Mustang Sally, but it's just outside of my price range. Wonder if they do last minute deals?
I'm hard put to see how the difference in full board between 2 and 6 people ($3,300) can be justified. I can feed 6 people to a very high standard for 6 weeks for that amount! Even budgeting $50 a day per head that only comes to $1,400 for 4 people over a week. It seems that you have to take at least two evening meals and a lunch ashore which don't appear to be included in the rate. Not a charter I'd consider.

P.
__________________
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 17:49   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
My boat is 2100 a week. That boils down to 50 a head per day. (Crew of 6) You just have to love sailing in the Northwest- with its tides, winds and crabbing. I think it is prettier than the Caribbean, but I just like pine trees. Off season it is even less (1700 week). And airfares to Seattle are cheaper. I think good deals can be found- you just have to be patient.
I chartered for years- I think it is a great way to learn seamanship and what you want and don't want on a boat. But I always was cheap- I looked and compared charter companies, asked for specials, provisioned at Walmart instead of the local restaurants.
And some of us don't expect a gratuity...
__________________

__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chartering in Belize jsnell5052 Atlantic & the Caribbean 12 13-03-2011 09:10
Chartering with Moorings in Tortola jnsnwt General Sailing Forum 7 13-08-2010 13:31
Chartering sjs General Sailing Forum 6 08-05-2010 06:34
Chartering out? davegnvl Liveaboard's Forum 6 02-08-2008 07:17
chartering vicki miller General Sailing Forum 4 04-02-2008 05:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.