Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 11:52   #1

Captain of Hurricane-Beached Boat Demands Cash for New One

Backstory: On the eve of the arrival of Hurricane Irene, Michael Calabrese left a sheltered marina and sailed his 42' Hunter into open, unprotected waters. Then only 1000 feet from shore (and a row of jagged rock jetties), with the storm roaring up the coast , he decides to anchor and...go to bed.

Story here: Va. sailor rescued during Irene arrested a 2nd time - Post Now - The Washington Post

Now he is on https://www.facebook.com/groups/208804435845259/ facebook demanding money for a new boat and stating that "soon another boat to sail, and I can sail it faster than anyone, i know how to trim sails, I'm not bragging, just sayen, I'm an extraordinary individual,".

p.s He has posted his bank account routing details to make it easy for the cash to flow in.
Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:31   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Captain of Hurricane-Beached Boat Demands Cash for New One

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum

He might be extraordinary individual,

But he's definitely a dumb a$$ incompetent skipper that doesn't deserve to set foot on another boat..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:48   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Wow, anyone this wonderful, I guess I better give him some money.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:48   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
Backstory: On the eve of the arrival of Hurricane Irene, Michael Calabrese left a sheltered marina and sailed his 42' Hunter into open, unprotected waters. Then only 1000 feet from shore (and a row of jagged rock jetties), with the storm roaring up the coast , he decides to anchor and...go to bed.

Story here: Va. sailor rescued during Irene arrested a 2nd time - Post Now - The Washington Post

Now he is on https://www.facebook.com/groups/208804435845259/ facebook demanding money for a new boat and stating that "soon another boat to sail, and I can sail it faster than anyone, i know how to trim sails, I'm not bragging, just sayen, I'm an extraordinary individual,".

p.s He has posted his bank account routing details to make it easy for the cash to flow in.
Fossil = Michael?

Quote:
<H2 class=main_message>https://www.facebook.com/groups/208804435845259/
Quote:

You must log in to see this page.
</H2>
No thanks.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Fossil = Michael?
Definitely NOT - does my OP sound very sympathetic to the guy?

Quote:
No thanks.
True, you do need a facebook login to view that page. It's worth it for the entertainment factor tho. The guy posts some seriously wacko stuff...
Old 30-09-2011, 14:25   #6

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Yep, quite entertaining!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 14:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Yep, quite entertaining!
I just can't wrap my head around how *anyone* could get arrested for being drunk and disorderly THREE times in the space of a single week.

And how drunk DO you have to be to poop in the back of the cop car on the way to the drunk tank?
Old 30-09-2011, 16:23   #8

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

some idiots should have to pay for the oxygen they breathe...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 16:33   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
I just can't wrap my head around how *anyone* could get arrested for being drunk and disorderly THREE times in the space of a single week.

And how drunk DO you have to be to poop in the back of the cop car on the way to the drunk tank?

Wait, wait, wait,...you do realize you're talking about a sailor here right?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 16:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Wait, wait, wait,...you do realize you're talking about a sailor here right?
True, that.
Old 30-09-2011, 16:56   #11

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

This guy gives us drunken sailors a bad name. It must have been a sceen from a "Jackass....on the water" movie

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 19:20   #12

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Just because he owns a boat doesn't make him a sailor...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 19:36   #13

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'

I looked...maybe I shouldn't have. Dude seems to have a bit of an attitude problem.
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 19:50   #14

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
some idiots should have to pay for the oxygen they breathe...
Judging by his obvious mental impairment, I don't think his brain is getting any oxygen now!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
Judging by his obvious mental impairment, I don't think his brain is getting any oxygen now!
The latest:

"Gina's Side:

I have my views about when we landed on the jetty....but even Michael has is views....so, we both need to comment on this. I newer felt soo scared or in danger only until the loud sound was coming from the the rocks hitting the boat. I was down below....so I never seen it coming. My main trust was MAYBE TOMORROW was hold strong, we were not in trouble, and Michael made ever "PRE"-cautions to make us safe and not get into trouble. I have all my FAITH in Michael as he is excellence Captain and sailor of our boat.

The sound once it started was out of this world as it was beating on the boat..... sounding like bombing. Of course, I was afraid that I would go back into a FLASH-BACK in my time in the military career. Yes I had those flashes but I ask God to help me through this with the flashes....and it seem to work (yes, I was on my medication)..... The boat was screaming and I could feel all the hits as they came. It was so loud and piercing.... All you could do is hold on and pray. Hit after hit was louder and louder as the boat was sliding back and forth...make the vibration even louder. All you could do is hold on. I lost our Kitten (Meeka) so, I was looking for her everywhere I could between the hits. At the last moment, when Michael was saying MAYDAY, MAYDAY........I located Meeka on the other side of the bed next the wall that being hit by the jetty. Meeka seem to be claim for a little kitten and she seemed to be at peace.

Michael was calm too.... and showed the PURE confidence that Micheal does in everything he could to get involved with!!!!!!!! I would trust him to do anything as Michael is highly intelligence and always thinking the next step before anyone else. I AM PROUD OF MICHAEL.....

After I was taken off the boat I was in shock and I was excited.... Had to be given oxygen and blankets on me to keep warm as I was cold and chiveringrving .

Michael's side:

After observing we had drifted from over 1000 yards off shore to nearly 500 yards, I asked Gina to join me in the cockpit (approx 6 am), in wind, waves & rain our position seemed to be holding. After nearly 2 1/2 hours of observing, I suggested we take a break, it seemed the skies were clearing, approximately 9:30 am, I heard a loud bang, got up to see what happened. To my surprise we were fully adrift, the anchor chains had broke, I tried the radio, no response, we were nearing a jetty, it became clear we were going to hit, I screamed for Gina to hold on, got back on the radio, "Mayday Mayday Mayday, large sailboat off the coast of Ocean View----- BAM we were thrown against the jetty, the boat laid on her side, Bam Bam, fiberglass and wood were crunching, water began to flow in, Gina! She was frantic, she and Meeka had been thrown off the bed, "MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY - WE ARE TAKING ON WATER" a voice responded "How many people on board? " BAM BAM, "2 adults and a cat" "Are you wearing life vests?" "Yes", the tipped over nearly 110 degrees and the crunching worsened, furnishings began dislodging, water was pouring in, "Gina, Get up here! Now!" all of sudden the boat righted herself. I told Gina to hold on to the mast, I went up to get a better view, people were all over the shore, Maybe Tomorrow was heading straight for it, She was facing north the beach was on our starboard side, I screamed to Gina, "HOLD ON, we beached and Maybe Tomorrow was nearly laying on her starboard side, I nearly fell off, Gina had a death grip on the mast below, Rescue personnel approached and told me to jump into his arms, I did, saying Got to get Gina! He said to hold on to the rope, boarded Maybe Tomorrow and came up with Meeka, a 3rd rescue person boarded and came up with Gina, she jumped from the boat into a rescuer's arms and was assisted up the beach, waiting the three of us were taken to an ambulance, given warm blankets, vitals were taken, Gina needed oxygen. The rescue personnel protected us from the press and took us to a shelter, a couple hours later we were taken to a hospital. I believe our 10 ton boat received Angels wings, getting us out of danger and into safety."

Tags
captain