Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51   #1

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
BVI - Slow Season and Festival

I find myself seated at the Village Cay Marina in Road Town, Tortola BVI. They have just about finished a week long festival where the entire island was effectively shut down until Thursday but many parts of the festival continue in the Western parts of the Island. I'm going to the donkey races this afternoon.... hope I'm not drafted...

Many hotels are closed until October some late October. The traffic in Road Town is now something I can even drive in with the borrowed jeep with three breaking systems, the regular one, the emergency break and the REALLLY Emergency breaking system where I can stick my foot through the whole in the floorboard like in the Flintstones car... not sure how that works with flip flops???

Weather is better.. over past weekend it poured... tried to go to Cane Garden Bay from Sopher's Hole and could not get up one hill... tires just spun in the half inch to inch of water coming down paved road... though I was in a deep river for a while... slid back toward an unprotected road edge with a 75 foot drop off into something green... bushes I think but didn't have to find out... went back to the apartment I'm renting for $210 a week while I wait for the survey I'm having done on a new boat I'm picking up to station here for a few years of Crib sailing.

Hot is not what it is on land... nice winds a fee hundred feet off shore but I'll almost blocked by the hills/mountains. Can't wait for the sea trials Monday... on the water for half a day at least then going on the hard for the season.... how many days until December??? I have actually messed up on what day is what showing up a day early or one appointment already... guess I'm on modified Island time... well its 1:50 PM... close enough for a Sundowner or maybe two... who wants to join me??

Cheers!!

ken
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 15:12   #2

Could be a lot worse

K:
Donkey Races - Hope You survived them
Rain - Most Intense I've experienced have been in the Caribbean during the rainy season
Sea Trial - What are you buying?
Worse - as long as the Rum lasts.............no chance at all
Good Luck & Fair Winds
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 15:44   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I'm back in Florida now. I was Picking up a 36' Beneteau to station around Nanny Cay for a couple of years. Planning on going down for 4 to 6 weeks several times a year maybe 3 or 4 months next year and move down the chain. Having Solar and a Kiss wind Gen added to make a few ice cubes for the Sundowners... not many... Ice cubes that is...

Speaking of Rum... I really messed up this time on the way back. Delayed going to the store to get some and waited until I got to the Airport in St Thomas and the power was Out and they were closed!!!!! Only had a few Minutes between flights at opposite ends of the Airport in PR and could not get any then!! Had to go to the liquor store yesterday and PAY US Prices for RUM!!!! Ohhh the horror and agony of such a thing!!!

I'll be back down to Tortola in Sept and I'll pick up a six pack EARLY!

BTW They TRIED to get me on a Donky..... but they have them race on the streets at Carrot Bay!!! Ouch!!

Just had a Skype with a friend on island and she and Tortola are doing well, wind and some rain but no major problems. Really feel for the down islanders with Dean. Hope it isn't following me back to Panama City!!
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 15:52   #4

Humm..........

RC: Check Your PM in a minute or two
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands