Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 23:26   #91

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Don't bring Columbus and the Vikings into it... they were sooo commercial. Just in it for the money. I bet they had "Donate Here" buttons on their blogs too
At least they had the good sense not to sail off in one of those multihull things like those Polynesia crazies.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 00:04   #92

Boat: Other people's!
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

I read the original blog as it happened and voyaged around the world with them from my office chair. I too had read "sailing promise" but there was a bit too much crying and not enough fun in there.

This thread reminded me that I needed to buy the Bum's book. Just done it and can now read about it all again on my kindle.

Best of luck to Pat and Ali and Ouest and (Ost?, Nord?, Sud?)
Old 30-05-2011, 05:50   #93

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Tao

I don't think you will get a blog date for the so called COWARD remark..
Really ? It was December 14 2005. Called him a wimp too. Interestingly, they were right near Langkawi on that day and where was the next yacht sailor to be murdered by pirates ? Langkawi. No, the piracy issue wasn't small then it was big, big news in 2005.

Asia Times Online :: Southeast Asia news and business from Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Malacca pirates seize hostages

The dissing of fellow cruisers who are a little different to them but basically just trying to be polite took place all over but January 17 2006 will do as an example.

" Long-distance cruisers are a strange bunch, I don't think Ali and I will ever fit in with this group. In fact we find ourselves avoiding interactions with them more often than not lately. "

I won't bore you all with details of their dissing native people absolutely everywhere. Look for the tale of the Indonesian fisherman who waved funny . . . . . . . . or the Marquesans who didn't want to make pizza.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 06:46   #94
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
At least they had the good sense not to sail off in one of those multihull things like those Polynesia crazies.
I am crushed reading this. Being Hawaiian, and sailing a cat makes me crazy. Then so be it.....hehehehehehehe.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 07:27   #95

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

We all know catamaran sailors are an uppity bunch, always bragging about sailing two boats ar a time.

Trimaran sailors are even worse, 3 boats at a time, even get on the nerves of catamaran sailors...

Just having fun i2f, Have a good day.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 08:02   #96

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
always bragging about sailing two boats ar a time.
No, no, no, we're not sailing two boats, mono-hullers are sailing a 1/2 boat!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 08:10   #97

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I wanted to buy a cat but I just couldn't get over the name, cat. YOO HOO! I'm sailing a kitty! Cute little kitty! Nice kitty!
I bought a CUTTER. Very manly, a cutter. Sounds all macho and tough. CUTTER!

OK, so I'm kidding, I just didn't have the F$%^#$g money.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:10   #98
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

can i buy a dog in place of a cat?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 08:15   #99

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

!
I did. My boat is a lot like Pat & Ali's boat, the molds from my boat were stretched to make the Spindrift 43 and the most recent commenter quoted on the Bumfuzzle blog called their boat and by extension my boat, a dog.
Yes, that's exactly what I did, I bought a dog instead of a cat.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:37   #100

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Well, it looks like Pat didn't call anyone a coward. At least not on 12/14/2005.
In stead, he said cowardly, in the English language, there is a big difference between coward and cowardly. He may have been a little abrupt and harsh, but that's what happens when people try to force their unwanted opinions on other people.
Who was right about the passage, the one who wouldn't try, or the one's that did and had no problem.
THEY BOTH WERE. It's just difference of opinion.
I would have probably said yjey were scared, which they were to not try the passage that thousand??? at least hundreds do every year with no problem. Sailing around the world is a gamble, just like life....
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 09:00   #101
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Really ? It was December 14 2005. Called him a wimp too. Interestingly, they were right near Langkawi on that day and where was the next yacht sailor to be murdered by pirates ? Langkawi. No, the piracy issue wasn't small then it was big, big news in 2005.

Asia Times Online :: Southeast Asia news and business from Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Malacca pirates seize hostages

The dissing of fellow cruisers who are a little different to them but basically just trying to be polite took place all over but January 17 2006 will do as an example.

" Long-distance cruisers are a strange bunch, I don't think Ali and I will ever fit in with this group. In fact we find ourselves avoiding interactions with them more often than not lately. "

I won't bore you all with details of their dissing native people absolutely everywhere. Look for the tale of the Indonesian fisherman who waved funny . . . . . . . . or the Marquesans who didn't want to make pizza.
Thank you for providing this information, savoir. As noted above, the word "cowardly" appears in the log for December 14, 2005. What is interesting, to me, is that if you pull up the Sailing Anarchy post itself, here: http://www.bumfuzzle.com/ - Sailing Anarchy Forums which is found at post #17, the original log entry reads, "Here is what Jack had to say a few months back." If memory serves, Jack was a British cruiser in the Med who really had a burr up his butt when it came to Pat and Ali Schulte.

That Pat, at some point (probably when he was creating his book from the logs), edited out "Jack" and made it "one cowardly old cruiser" probably had more to do with his annoyance with one particular individual who was on his back constantly, online. I wouldn't consider that a condemnation of all cruisers of a certain age with gray beards.

It's interesting that of the thousands of words in the Bumfuzzle logs, you are able to remember that particular passage, though you changed "one cowardly old cruiser" to "cowards." Are you, by any chance, Jack the Brit?

TaoJones
Old 30-05-2011, 09:13   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

From where I'm sitting both parties were 'cowardly'.....
Just about different routes....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:21   #103

Good evening,

Seven pages of Bumfuzzle within a few days. Some kind of a record?

A few thoughts:
I love the term "Bathtub Admiral". It's some guy who really dreams of a navy career, but the best he could do was to buy a sailboat. So now he plays "navy, navy" at the Yacht Club.
He kits out the boat with every bit of gear he can lay his hands on and will never venture "off shore" (please read 45 n/miles) unless he has all that junk onboard and unless he has a weather window of 7 days.
I think we have a few bathtub admirals here.

This thing about sailing with no "experience". Lets not confuse experience with "ability". I have come across lots of folk with tons of experience, yet they are pretty useless when it comes to basic sailing ability. I've gone offshore with rookies, but they had the ability to grasp sailing within an hour.
As Chay Blyth was once quoted when the British Yachting Establishment was grinding him, "after all, it's just water and wind".

Nautical terms. Who cares. I have learnt that the more nautical some folks lingo is, the worse they sail. My favourite expression on our boat is "throw some spanner please". That means take the winch handle and winch the sheet in a bit please.
"Heads"? For heavens sake, it is just a place or a thing do have a dump.

The Bums know a thing or two about boats and sailing. Ever notice that hubby can fix almost everything onboard? They seem to take whatever comes their way in their stride. Isn't that what makes a good sailor?

And sailing from Pizza Hut to McDonalds to Pizza Hut. What a nice change from the usual cruising stories.
Nice blog, nice pictures.

I say "go the Bums!"
And the fact that Ali is cute also helps.

Regards,

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:27   #104
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Nice blog, nice pictures.

I say "go the Bums!"
And the fact that Ali is cute also helps.

Regards,

Banjo.
Damn.... wish you had not said that... you've got me nearly tempted enough to take a look...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:31   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Good evening,

Seven pages of Bumfuzzle within a few days. Some kind of a record?

LOL.. I almost wish I hadn't started it!

Knowing the "controversy" they caused last time, and that I have been following them again since they bought the Spindrift and all their trials and tribulations getting it ready to go, I thought it would be interesting for others to follow their journey and Pat's irreverent ways on their sailboat. Especially interesting is their comparison to their old cat now that they are actually sailing.

Tags
sailing