Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 03:26   #61
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno why the fuss...
I'm not a blog reader.. only registered on one and rarely visit... even then its just to see where he is now because I know the guy..
But if someone keeps an online journal thats fine... how they get through life may be instructional to many down the way.
Mate, if you had a blog/journal/online log to chart your adventures, I'd follow you. And just think... no mods hanging around. Well, none with awesome powers...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 03:39   #62

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post

Please note, that ANY of you can post of the FB page, all you have to do is befriend us, then copy and paste links to your blogs, or threads you find interesting.

Cruisers Forum | Facebook
Yea, but the really good ones are now "closed".
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 03:43   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

Ok Saucy.... I'll add it to 'The Bucket List...'
A Blog........ One more thing to do befo.........

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 03:57   #64

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I had similar opinions about people my age when I was his age, it's very normal. I hope that young people continue such traits, otherwise future generations will become awfully stagnant.

I'm personally glad that the Bums didn't pay attention to the gray beards, along with Laura Dekker, Abby Sunderland, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and many others who think outside that boring gray box.
Maybe you should read their blog rather than assume the gray beards were wagging the finger and handing out unwanted lectures. Actually, they were just trying to be friendly and not lecturing at all. Mr Bum rewarded their kindness by determining that all those who chose not to sail the Red Sea were "cowards". Nice.

Funny how when said gray beards ( or beardless in the case of Mr Cate ) had something the Bums wanted the attatood melted away.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 04:57   #65

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Here we go ... off to get some popcorn!
Old 29-05-2011, 06:24   #66

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Maybe you should read their blog rather than assume the gray beards were wagging the finger and handing out unwanted lectures. Actually, they were just trying to be friendly and not lecturing at all. Mr Bum rewarded their kindness by determining that all those who chose not to sail the Red Sea were "cowards". Nice.

Funny how when said gray beards ( or beardless in the case of Mr Cate ) had something the Bums wanted the attatood melted away.
Coupla thoughts: I've not read any of the Bum's stuff yet but I think I read somewhere they had a magazine column, and now a book. Anyone making money doing what they like has my attention and respect. This thread has given me the impression that I'm a gray beard that isn't going to like them but next rainy day we shall see.

Couple that can make it around the world, so matter how lubberly, surely can deliver a baby.

Saucy: your mod career isn't as unlauded as you may think.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 06:36   #67

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:

I've read it all, but apparently it was different from what you read.

I find the following pretty disenfranchising!

december 14 2005:

"...all the hard parts lie ahead, while the Coconut Milk Run has a relatively well-deserved name.
My wish for Pat and Ali is that they sail NNW from NZ via Tonga before heading to Oz - certainly not try it straight across the Tasman Sea - and after enjoying the Coral Coast, ship the boat to either the Med or the States, depending on their remaining interest in cruising and the size of their residual kitty.
I'm especially concerned about the Malacca Straits and either the Red Sea or South Africa as sailing grounds for these willing but unskilled sailors.* My hunch is that something of this nature - a truncated voyage - will soon look like a reasonable alternative for them."
"

A cruiser suggesting they stop their adventure and ship their boat home!

january 30 2005:

"I've read a fair bit of BUMFUZZLE's logs and even corresponded with them to praise their diligence in posting "unedited" monthly expenses for others to see, since this is always something other new cruising sailors wonder about.

However, I sure wouldn't recommend BUMFUZZLE as a role model for how to approach cruising. My conclusions about their experiences to date are:

1. Youth really is wasted on the young.

2. To cruise with little apparent knowledge of or interest in geography, history and culture is a waste of good money and boat.

3. They have yet to learn much about sailing.

Best example of clueless introspection I can remember: They went from island to island in the SoPac, complaining that no islanders knew how to splice double-braid line. There was just no comprehension that THEY needed to bring some skills along with them, or that they looked like the dumbest of the folks on any island they visited since they had the line, they had the need, and they lacked the skills."

The dumbest of folks!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 06:58   #68

Boat: Able 50

You are quoting old CF posts. Those are not the people to whom I was referring nor the people that the Bums chose to mock. The Bums went so far as to actively avoid the gray beards as not being their kind of people. Funny thing though, as recently as yesterday when in need, they headed for the gray beards in double quick time for some boat bits.

How you can support someone who labels those who prefer to avoid Somali pirates as "cowards" ( that is a quote ) completely eludes me.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:14   #69
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Here's a suggestion....

The bumfuzzle's both survived their learning curve and made a circumnavigation, which makes them sailors.

They are setting off on a second voyage and there will be other learning curves ahead. That makes them cruisers.

That makes them ONE OF US.

If we were to move past the earlier history of negative and dubious posts and just take them as they come we could enjoy their next adventures. Rather than looking back and stirring up the muck.

They don't have to be perfect. We certainly aren't.

Let's work at positive posts, moving forward and holding onto the "Be Nice Rule" like dogs with bones, ehh?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:43   #70

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

The Schulte's are like most people they

They don't like unwanted advise

They don't like unwanted critics i.e. how come you are racing around the world. Why don't you do it my way, don't do it that way. do it my way, etc.

I don't blame them about the gray beards, and I am one.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:51   #71
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The Bums were before my time (on CF / Internet), ..... my take is that they came accross as demeaning to others .... in internetland that always goes down badly

Yes, they were before my time too.

I have not read their blog at all.

What David says is prolly a good idea to guard ourselves, when Blog writing, that humour doesn't carry on the internet very well at all.
Forums have all the funny smilies to get the intent across Blogs do not.
So sarcasm very very rarely works in stream of conscious writing.

Onto what Jim wrote: I, too, met a boat a few weeks ago that had been roundly slagged on this forum because of their over sexulised Blog. Lovely people and the Hubby was working on someone elses boat helping them with a problem, for free, of course.

So good luck to all that head off, not just the Bumfuzzles

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:58   #72

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Good on ya, MarkJ
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:01   #73

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
You are quoting old CF posts. Those are not the people to whom I was referring nor the people that the Bums chose to mock. The Bums went so far as to actively avoid the gray beards as not being their kind of people. Funny thing though, as recently as yesterday when in need, they headed for the gray beards in double quick time for some boat bits.

How you can support someone who labels those who prefer to avoid Somali pirates as "cowards" ( that is a quote ) completely eludes me.
How you can support someone who labels those who venture into Somali pirate territory "unskilled sailors".

My post was copy and paste from Bum's blog. I included the dates so you could have a look for yourself.

BTW, if you read them, you are supporting them.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:05   #74
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Since you claim that "cowards" is a quote, I would appreciate your posting the specific date in the Bumfuzzle logs where that occurs. Context is everything, so while I don't doubt your assertion, I would prefer to read the context in which the word is used.

To help anyone who hasn't already done so, march : oman / yemen / eritrea will take those who would like to read for themselves to the pertinent Bumfuzzle logs for that portion of their circumnavigation. Pat and Ali completed their passage from Sri Lanka via the Maldives and reached Salalah, Oman on March 5, 2006. They completed their transit of the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea and the Suez Canal on June 2, 2006, dropping anchor in the shallow water of the Med outside Port Said, Egypt very late that night.

TaoJones
Old 29-05-2011, 08:31   #75
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
reached Salalah, Oman on March 5, 2006.
Before the piracy thing got out of hand.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing