Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2011, 18:15   #46

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

That almost sounds Minn. nice for. just let us live our life.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 19:20   #47

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

I must admit that I'm a bit bemused by the anti-BF feelings expressed here.

I've never read their blog (or many others for that matter), but Ann and I did encounter them in Australia a few years ago. We knew nothing of their story, and interacted with them as we do with any other yottie we encounter. They seemed like nice younger people and we enjoyed their company.

Little did we know that we were consorting with pariahs.

Why in the world are so many folks up tight about them?

Cheers,
Mr Bum wrote very long and very negative about old farts with beards. Maybe you were the inspiration for some of his critical anecdotes.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 20:09   #48

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

To each his own...

Glad to see they are out on the water and loving it.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 20:16   #49

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I'll bet that they're trying to get to Mexico for the birth. IIRC Quest was born there for a few hundred dollars in hospital bills rather than house sized hospital bills in the US. I'm glad to see that they're going again!
I wish I had read the whole thread before I posted. I feel redundant again & again.
Old 28-05-2011, 20:22   #50

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

BTW, their book convinced my wife the safety nazi that every single little tiny thing doesn't need to be be perfect before we cast off. It's OK if all the big things are right and a few small things are left for later. If it weren't for Pat & Ali we probably wouldn't have a boat right now.
Old 28-05-2011, 20:47   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Mr Bum wrote very long and very negative about old farts with beards. Maybe you were the inspiration for some of his critical anecdotes.
Nahhh, couldn't have been me... I could never quite manage a beard. Must have been some other old fart that pissed him off.

Cheers,
Old 28-05-2011, 20:50   #52

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I had similar opinions about people my age when I was his age, it's very normal. I hope that young people continue such traits, otherwise future generations will become awfully stagnant.

I'm personally glad that the Bums didn't pay attention to the gray beards, along with Laura Dekker, Abby Sunderland, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and many others who think outside that boring gray box.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 22:36   #53

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

The CF powers to be must really like them or the attention they create cause there are now two posting on the CF FaceBook page about them. One a link to the Bumfuzzle website and another a link to this thread.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 22:54   #54

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Still doesn't care to learn basic nautical terms. Not that important in the big picture, but it shows a certain respect to the sailing community to quit saying "kitchen" and "bathroom." I'll try not to be as miffed as I want to be, lest it reveal my priggishness. I'm sure he's checked to see which of his winches are two-speed and which are not (sorry, I just can't let that one go).
Just for the record. My husband and I have been sailors since 1984 and full-time cruisers since spring 2006 -- now 3/4 way around so we have more than a few NM behind our keel. Yet we still often refer to these areas on our yacht as the kitchen and bathroom. Like Pat, we know the correct terms but prefer to use terms easily understood by everyone -- not just by fellow sailors. And, also like Pat and Ali, we still do grocery shopping rather than provisioning.

What possible difference does it make which terms are used as long as the meaning is understood?

My first thought after reading of their first day at sea on this monohull is that now they might understand why all those other cruisers were cooking and freezing meals for the Atlantic crossing, and that Ali will find herself following suit before their first long passage.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 00:44   #55

Boat: Sunline, Roberts 56, steel, ketch

What in the world is the big deal about them being pregnant?? Having a baby is a normal, healthy thing to do, and it can be done anywhere. I don't understand why anyone would think they were exhibiting poor judgement. They might have done things in the past that exhibited poor judgement, but sailing while pregnant isn't one of those things.

I have six kids, and once you have had one, you never again get the luxury of just hanging out waiting for the baby to be born. You might as well be sailing!

I suspect there are people in Mexico who know something about delivering babies.
Sue
S/V Sunline
seghull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 02:25   #56

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbaer View Post
Jealousy plain and simple.
Nail on the head. If you're 60 and can't afford to do what they do....
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 02:55   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbaer View Post
Jealousy plain and simple.
The Bums were before my time (on CF / Internet), so I missed most of the "excitement" - my take is that they came accross as demeaning to others (who had not yet understood how internet / marketing works)......and in internetland that always goes down badly - which is of course part of the intention

IMO the Bums really only (re)discovered what many others know already - 99.99% of the time any half decent vessel could be skippered by a Monkey. and crewed by numbskulls and nothing really bad will happen, no matter the incompetence and f#ck ups onboard. and with GPS etc will even end up where one was headed.......

Of course for the other 00.01% there be the big red button

Different generations. different approaches.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 03:16   #58
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
The CF powers to be must really like them or the attention they create cause there are now two posting on the CF FaceBook page about them. One a link to the Bumfuzzle website and another a link to this thread.
Yup, that was me. And whilst I do enjoy their blog, I chose to post across there because it is interesting. How many pages are we up to now? The last Bumfuzzles thread hit 8 pages, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
my take is that they came accross as demeaning to others (who had not yet understood how internet / marketing works)......and in internetland that always goes down badly - which is of course part of the intention
Having a little understanding about how marketing works (you like the CF page on FB, a post a week shows up on your profile, your mates think "Ooh, that's controversial", and they visit the link), I am bound to choose the more controversial subjects to place on FB. So, although we as sailors might find the difference between deviation and variation fascinating, your FB friends will probably be more attracted by sea snakes in the toilet, and heavily pregnant women sailing to Mexico.

Please note, that ANY of you can post of the FB page, all you have to do is befriend us, then copy and paste links to your blogs, or threads you find interesting.

http://www.facebook.com/CruisersForum
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 03:19   #59
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aww.... The penny just dropped... does that mean I'm a "power that be"?????

At last, a moment of recognition in my ever so unlauded career as a mod. Thanks
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 03:24   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

Dunno why the fuss...
I'm not a blog reader.. only registered on one and rarely visit... even then its just to see where he is now because I know the guy..
But if someone keeps an online journal thats fine... how they get through life may be instructional to many down the way.
As for the 'Head' thing... on my boats its been known as the 'Dunni'... the 'Bog'... the 'Crapper'.... and... oh.. hang on...
Gorra go downstairs the kettles whistling in the kitchen...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing