Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2011, 13:17   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

I wouldn't advise any one to start the way they did, but they managed, and became sailors at that. Most times that kind of start begins, and ends in quick misery. I wish them the best once again.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 13:32   #32

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
First impressions, after reading all the current blog entires:

Still doesn't care to learn basic nautical terms. Not that important in the big picture, but it shows a certain respect to the sailing community to quit saying "kitchen" and "bathroom." I'll try not to be as miffed as I want to be, lest it reveal my priggishness. I'm sure he's checked to see which of his winches are two-speed and which are not (sorry, I just can't let that one go).
It doesn't matter which people group you join, they all have their own jargon. It could be the tennis club, racing yachties, a church group or a bunch of politicians. All the insecure people make sure they learn the jargon as quickly as possible so that they "sound cool". I can hear it at my local yacht club bar on a Saturday arvo after the races. It's full of it. Many of the guys have never dared to poke the front of their boat out those scary heads to the open sea, but they're still the experts, just listen to them. And fancy overpriced clothes straight out of the sailing magazine proves that you know what your talking about.

I appluad the bumfuzzles for being comfortable enough in their own skin that they don't see the need to impress the insecure people, many of whom haven't sailed out of sight of the yacht club.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 13:43   #33
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
How do you guys feel about offshore around SF with a woman who's 7 months preggers? Not trying to be down on them, just wondering what people think of that....
I think great timing... past the auto ralphing stage and not to the bovine slowness stage...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 13:59   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
past the auto ralphing stage and not to the bovine slowness stage...
You have a way with words....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 14:10   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
I think great timing... past the auto ralphing stage and not to the bovine slowness stage...
I should remember not to be sipping coffee as I read some of your posts!
Old 28-05-2011, 14:35   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

I must admit that I'm a bit bemused by the anti-BF feelings expressed here.

I've never read their blog (or many others for that matter), but Ann and I did encounter them in Australia a few years ago. We knew nothing of their story, and interacted with them as we do with any other yottie we encounter. They seemed like nice younger people and we enjoyed their company.

Little did we know that we were consorting with pariahs.

Why in the world are so many folks up tight about them?

Cheers,
Old 28-05-2011, 14:56   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

I've never read their blog (or many others for that matter), but Ann and I did encounter them in Australia a few years ago. We knew nothing of their story, and interacted with them as we do with any other yottie we encounter. They seemed like nice younger people and we enjoyed their company.

Cheers,

Just want to reiterate, wasn't trying to be down on them or negative about it. Just curious what people thought. My wife is an RN at a major metropolitan jail and she carried our twins up until 2 weeks before term, something many people thought was crazy dangerous, as attacks on staff are common. While I wouldn't do what they are myself, I certainly uphold their right to do it, and think they are pretty bold for going for it. And I'm sure my opinions on pregnancy are colored by my own experience with risky pregnancy like a 37 yr. old wife with twins. And my wife's long exposure, perhaps over exposure, to what can go wrong in these situations while working in hospitals. I'm sure it'll all work out for them, it's not all that risky coasting down. They'll never be that far from help. I just wouldn't do it with my wife and kids, and thought it might be interesting to hear others opinions. Oh and the twins came right home with us to our boat at the time, a 36' cutter which we happily sailed with them from birth. Kids and boats just go together, I think. But late term pregnany and cruising is not for me. I'd worry constantly and be a wreck, although I'm sure the wife would take it in stride...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:20   #38

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

JIM CATE
Some People didn't like the bumfuzzles strictly because they didn't do things the way they thought it should be done.
The naysayers felt they needed 1,00's of hours of sailing lessons, they went one day.

Pat would read the forums, see the complaining and have fun with his next blog posting. Alot of his writing was tongue in cheek having fun with the people.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

Cheers,
Jealousy plain and simple.
spiritbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:58   #40

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
I have been an avid reader of the Bum's since the beginning and still reading. I appauld them for their conviction and being willing to say "this is who I am" and in fact share that with the world, critics or not. Not all of us would approach things they way they do, but so what. I read their blog with great interest because they are different than I am. Gives a great perspective from another point of view. I will keep reading and wish Pat and Ali well. Go Bums!!

Yep.

Go Bums!
Old 28-05-2011, 16:25   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
There's an article in the June Latitude 38 about them. They moved up their trip to Puerto Vallarta so they could get there well before the baby is due in August.

Latitude also made mention of the impression the Bumfuzzles made on (ahem) a great number of armchair sailors who were so quick to critique them during their first voyage.

Let's hope the armchair sailors on this site remember, this time around, that these folks already have a circumnavigation under their belts, and that they did it at a fairly young age.
Old 28-05-2011, 17:11   #42

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Speaks volumes on judgement,
And yours.

I try not to judge others.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:19   #43
Marine Service Provider

I'm a little older than the Bums, have sailed regularly 10 years back and they are the reason for my renewed interest in sailing, both overseas and a potential RTW. Good on them for giving many of us hope that we can achieve something similar.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:37   #44

Boat: PETERSON 44
If I were pregnant I would not want to be in a boat. If I were it would be disturbing Once had to let crew off because they were co habitated sea sick and dangerously dehydrating. But you go pam bumguzzle I never liked the negative opinions you guys took., where I quite enjoy bashing of record breakers like that goat that was sailing around on some yacht sponsored by a cheese company. Thats the way I remember it. And Ronnie you remember Ronnie he was sailing a boat without a rudder and then quit in the muddle of the pacific. Decided that a steel boat was more his speed.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:47   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

From page one of their blog.

Quote:
Known to family and friends as Pat, Ali, Ouest, and the Bump. We travel, we blog, we annoy people, we inspire people. We try to live life a bit out of the ordinary. We have our babies in Mexico. We haven’t owned a phone or television in eight years. We read memoirs because real life stories are what interest us. We reply to every e-mail we receive because Ali is Minnesota nice. We lived in a VW Bus for two years. We want to raise our kids to live the life that pleases them, not the one that pleases others. We want to go on doing what we do for as long as we’re happy doing it.
OH if I could just get a life too..........

But that takes so much courage. So very much.........

Tags
sailing