Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 22:51   #226
Registered User
 
MiamiFitJeff's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Newport Beach CA/Miami FL
Boat: Yet to be determined!
Posts: 8
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
It just shows the naysayers tjat they can handle any problem that comes up.

Bet that relly pi$$e$ the naysayers off..

Thanks Tao, forgot to check up on them...

AGREED! I applaud the Bumfuzzles and laugh at the haters, and jealous ones!
__________________

__________________
MiamiFitJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 23:15   #227
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
It just shows the naysayers tjat they can handle any problem that comes up.

Bet that relly pi$$e$ the naysayers off..

Thanks Tao, forgot to check up on them...

How many times did Mr Bum get towed on his way to Mexico ? I lost count.
__________________

__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 02:43   #228
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
TaoJones's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 9,850
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Hmmm . . . perhaps you're missing the forest due to a few trees, savoir:

Trees:
Pat needed to be towed when his fuel flow issues made the engine completely unreliable early in the passage; he was briefly aground exiting San Diego but was quickly towed back into the channel; his broken shaft coupling caused him to need towing into the anchorage, and then the marina, in Cabo San Lucas to arrange and effect repairs.

Forest:
Pat successfully completed the relocation of Bumfuzzle from northern California to Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico without major incident, including loss of life, loss of vessel or loss of sense of humor. He moved a vessel that hadn't been to sea in years from its living death in the Delta, down to the Bay, initially; refit and refurbished all her major systems except sails while in the Delta and the Bay; undertook to move the new-to-him vessel more than a thousand miles along the lee shore that is the California / Baja coast after the beginning of the Eastern Pacific hurricane season, and succeeded in his mission.

I'm far more impressed by his accomplishment than the fact that he was towed a few times. In fact, I would cite Pat's decision to spend the relatively few dollars to make the towing option available as prescient good planning by a prudent mariner.

TaoJones
__________________
"Your vision becomes clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks within, awakens."
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)
TaoJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:36   #229
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 208
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

All that *and*:

- Making a good living.
- Continuing to make and raise a family.

Where does the man find the time and energy!?!

I'm currently sitting in my comfortable arm chair while they are out making the stories.

My hat is still very humbly in my hand.

George
__________________
The Further We Go (blog)
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:41   #230
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Nice!!

The gods of birth will smile upon this child. Gives me a good feeling
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 06:50   #231
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
The gods of birth will smile upon this child. Gives me a good feeling
Can't them gods spread the grins 'round a bit?

Lots of poor people in the world who need an extra smile than us middle class whities in 1st world countries.

Just read an article about a forthcomming famine in Somalia. Of all the crap that mob have lived under for decades and now the soon-to-be-Mums must know full well the chances of their new babies survival.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:14   #232
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Can't them gods spread the grins 'round a bit?

Lots of poor people in the world who need an extra smile than us middle class whities in 1st world countries.

Just read an article about a forthcomming famine in Somalia. Of all the crap that mob have lived under for decades and now the soon-to-be-Mums must know full well the chances of their new babies survival.
Milk sour in the tea this morning, Mark?
Lots of "smile" gods out there. Many of us hope they are present in the seriously troubled parts of the world.
Of course, a lot depends on the Cordite smoke obscuring the birth sites.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:30   #233
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Hmmm . . . perhaps you're missing the forest due to a few trees, savoir:

Trees: Pat needed to be towed when his fuel flow issues made the engine completely unreliable early in the passage; he was briefly aground exiting San Diego but was quickly towed back into the channel; his broken shaft coupling caused him to need towing into the anchorage, and then the marina, in Cabo San Lucas to arrange and effect repairs.

Forest: Pat successfully completed the relocation of Bumfuzzle from northern California to Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico without major incident, including loss of life, loss of vessel or loss of sense of humor. He moved a vessel that hadn't been to sea in years from its living death in the Delta, down to the Bay, initially; refit and refurbished all her major systems except sails while in the Delta and the Bay; undertook to move the new-to-him vessel more than a thousand miles along the lee shore that is the California / Baja coast after the beginning of the Eastern Pacific hurricane season, and succeeded in his mission.

I'm far more impressed by his accomplishment than the fact that he was towed a few times. In fact, I would cite Pat's decision to spend the relatively few dollars to make the towing option available as prescient good planning by a prudent mariner.

TaoJones
Your opinion is so biased in favour of the Bums that it stretches my ability to comprehend. All of your posts on this thread have made it clear that they are your buddies and you will back them regardless of events.

If you are correct in your assessment of their voyage then it is perfectly acceptable for the Bums to sponge upon the kind hearted generosity of the amateur sailors who might tow or help them upon their voyage. Remember the guy who gave Mr Bum a pump a few weeks ago? Unbelievable ! That guy sacrificed the progress of his own voyage while he waited for a new pump to be freighted in. On the other hand Mr Bum, after inserting the other guy's pump, was ready to sail so who cares about the other guy? I'm all right Jack ! What if Mr Bum's part had been delayed ? Would he have passed the pump he had back to the other guy ? We'll never know. Depriving someone of their only spare when you have access to a chandlery and have already ordered from it is shameful enough in itself.

Then there is the valuable time and the safety of the professionals who were called upon to rescue Mr Bum. No no no it's OK really, they had nothing better to do. It is only coincidence and good weather that deprived them of putting their lives and boats at risk in trying to help him.

Another poster on this thread correctly observed that boats which sit for six years develop their own problems and should be given extensive shakedown testing. The Bums proudly declined to sail or motor even as far as the Gate let alone the Farallones. We don't do that kind of stuff ! We're all right Jack ! Someone else can tow us !

Oh the cult of fame. Aint it grand ? Blinds the judgement of the best of them so it seems.

I remember well the fisherman from Indonesia who they dissed for waving funny. Chances are they had just chopped his net to pieces and cost him a week's pay but who cares as long as the Bums can sail on ( which is exactly what they did ) and are are OK ?

You Bumfuzzle fans are living proof that PT Barnum was right.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:38   #234
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 741
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Savoir, I hope you never need a helping hand. You don't have a boat listed so I don't know if you have ever needed a tow, a part or a friend. Most boats, including ours, have. You don't know if remuneration accompanied the pump. I admire the Bums, I wish them well, and I hope they are the ones nearby if I ever need a helping hand.
__________________
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:41   #235
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 208
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

__________________
The Further We Go (blog)
thatboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:47   #236
Registered User
 
detav007's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ortonville, MI
Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Posts: 75
Bumfuzzle Fan

Personally I think the Bum's are fantastic. He may have been towed a bit but that's why he purchased the insurance. The people that towed him (in most cases) were earning the money he paid and doing their job, if they don't want to take the risk, they should get another job. They're living my dream and I wish them all the best. I've been reading their blog for a couple years now and can see nowhere that I find them morally or ethically wrong. Some things they do I wouldn't, but then that's why they're living the dream and I'm typing this from a dull cubicle in the middle of Michigan dreaming of their adventure.

I can't wait to hear of their adventures with two kids at sea, I know a bit more about raising kids than they do. But I'm sure they'll be fine, they seem to have true love for their kid(s) and that's really all you need with a bit of luck and some skill which they seem to have.

To Pat & Ali, keep living the dream and writing about it and I'll continue to live vicariously through you. If you're ever in the Saginaw/Port Huron areas my tools, transportation, beer/pizza and automotive knowledge are yours to ask for.
__________________
Barry D.
detav007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:50   #237
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Milk sour in the tea this morning, Mark?
Lots of "smile" gods out there. Many of us hope they are present in the seriously troubled parts of the world.

Yeah, milk does go off pretty quickly around here.
I didn't mean it to sound sour, but it probably does look like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detav007 View Post
I'll continue to live vicariously through you.
And that may have just a little too much sugar added.

__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:51   #238
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Savoir, I hope you never need a helping hand. You don't have a boat listed so I don't know if you have ever needed a tow, a part or a friend. Most boats, including ours, have. You don't know if remuneration accompanied the pump. I admire the Bums, I wish them well, and I hope they are the ones nearby if I ever need a helping hand.
You think it OK for someone to openly brag about not testing a boat which they know to have multiple defects but fine for them to beg for help when the chickens come home to roost ?

What were their words "Just do it" ? Oh no, that was someone else.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 07:54   #239
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

the bumfuzzles did same thing idid , only i didnt get towed yet---- but they did it sailing a lil farther than did--- is not an easy gig--- taking a trying to be dead boat so far and fixing it up before during and after---- they are doing great , by the reports i hear and i hope they continue to do so. is a big step to do this, and it is awesome that they are continuing--- with kids , the challenge can be high, but there is also the incredible learning field out here for the kids to feast in , knowledge wise. they have the whole world for learning--- is truly cool.
naysayers must be overjellus--i cant think of any other rationale behind grouchiness and naysaying.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 08:04   #240
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Positive inspiration and hope are gifts of unlimited quantity, that we can give.
The bumfuzzles seem to do that for many. Those that won't help them--OK, you got yours!
I haven't heard a complaint from anyone that did help.
They can use one of my moorings (for free) if they ever stop by here.
BTW The circus elephants are very entertaining.
__________________

__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Challenge: Move a Few Things from Brisbane to Adelaide for Sailing Trip - Pallet ? dennisail Challenges 4 30-01-2011 02:22
Freebirds...the new bumfuzzles! Trim50 Off Topic Forum 12 30-01-2008 01:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.