Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 18:10   #196

Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Say what you will about the bumfuzzles but if nothing else, pat has learnt over the years how to write an entertaining blog. The new video, which tao just referenced in the last post, was an interesting watch for someone like me who is an inland lakes sailor with limited offshore miles.
Other than the couple on the lagoon 380 s/v honeymoon, can any of the forum members think of any other bloggers who've posted other cruising vids? Links?

*Perhaps a new thread would be better suited if the moderators think it better?
fyodor1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 18:13   #197

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hurrycames dont go to abreojos..water is way too cold. they go west from cabo san lucas.
While I generally agree, with cyclones you can never say 'never.'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006epac.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	29170  
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 18:16   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor1564 View Post
Say what you will about the bumfuzzles but if nothing else, pat has learnt over the years how to write an entertaining blog. The new video, which tao just referenced in the last post, was an interesting watch for someone like me who is an inland lakes sailor with limited offshore miles.
Other than the couple on the lagoon 380 s/v honeymoon, can any of the forum members think of any other bloggers who've posted other cruising vids? Links?

*Perhaps a new thread would be better suited if the moderators think it better?
If you are looking at more then a slight detour a new thread would be a good idea though I think a search might find a thread already exists?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:35   #199
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glad all is well and they made it to banderas---according to locals, we should now be free of named storms until sept.--we will see...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07   #200
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Very very dangerous to go into the water with this type of problem as there will be hooks, maybe numerous if its a Long Line fishing boat.

The trick we became good at, and can be done single handed:

Do NOT stop or slow the boat.
Determine which side of the boat the lines seem to be longest. i.e. you won't have hit the lines exactly in the middle.
With the boat hook grab the shorter side lines. (Or the side away from the floats or the majority of floats)
Holding them up with the boat hook cut away the lines where they touch the boat hook.
As you cut through them the last few might break and whip forward, so be careful.
When the lines are cut the longer trailing side of the fouled mess will drag the shorter side around the keel (or rudder in this example) and they will fall astern.

Sail on.

Mark
I think this is excellent advice, Mark, and if Pat was primarily sailing I'm sure it would have been the best move. But since he was powering almost constantly, the possibility of losing his means of propulsion had to be a major concern . . . he needed to know that steel leader wasn't fouling his prop and be certain that it couldn't as he continued on.

That said, I would favor a combination of what you suggested and what he actually did; that is, cut away as much as possible using your technique, then slow the boat and take a look as Pat did to confirm that the prop was clear.

I imagine if the boat had a new suit of sails and he wasn't pressing to complete the delivery as quickly as possible to be reunited with his family, he would have used the engine very little. He could have then waited until he was anchored somewhere to deal with the mess, eliminating the very serious risk of being separated from the vessel.

TaoJones
Old 08-07-2011, 23:15   #201

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I'm glad that all is well and I'm really really glad that Pat didn't let go of the ladder and get swept away.
The broker that I bought my boat from is a pretty cool guy. Throughout the long process of buying a boat when I didn't have enough money, he, the old owner and I had a lot of time to "talk story" as the Hawaiians say. Sometimes when we brought up a story involving some action that turned out to be stupid the broker would say "Well, I can't recommend that".
Going over the side with the boat still moving and singlehanded? Well, I can't recommend that.
Old 09-07-2011, 00:26   #202

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Going over the side with the boat still moving and singlehanded? Well, I can't recommend that.
I got to agree. Much as I appreciate the "doing it our way", I was a bit surprised that Pat didn't use a harness and tether at any time single-handing it; if he did, it did not show in any of the videos.

Pat and Allie have accomplished so much, so one doesn't want to be coming across as second guessing, but I this time I am.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:35   #203

Awesome cruising family. They are an inspiration to us. We are looking forward to sharing an anchorage some day.

George
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53   #204

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

I hate to say it but, I'm pretty sure Bumfuzzle's sailing days are coming to an end once the next little one shows up. I have a feeling that Mexico will just end up being a permanent place they hang thier hats....going to be hard to sail with 2 little ones on a 43' mono....although, if they upgrade back to a cat, maybe they'll fight through it....still enjoy reading his blogs, even if they're landlocked.
Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01   #205

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

What's the big deal about raising 2 children on a 43', we had 2 on a 25' with no problem.

The Bumfuzzles went to a mono for the reason of raising their children on a single level instead of the bridge deck, hull differential.

Our children had no problem adapting to the motion of the boat
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:11   #206

no reason a family cannot continue to cruise with kids.. just another naysayer trying to remove the frosting from the cake.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13   #207

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I like your saying Zee

People have been raising kids on boats for years. Don't know what's so different this time.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20   #208

I've noticed that this thread seems to be much more polite and "nicer" than it's Sailnet Equal. Why is Cruisers much more laid back than SN? Obviously I'm a member of both. (LandLocked66c on SN)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29   #209
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateman View Post
I've noticed that this thread seems to be much more polite and "nicer" than it's Sailnet Equal. Why is Cruisers much more laid back than SN? Obviously I'm a member of both. (LandLocked66c on SN)
Excerpted from our rules
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules
“... We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun ...
... We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:43   #210

ty , ud.....is truf.....

Tags
sailing