Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 13:41   #166
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Pablo, you should start your blog now - it has been interesting following your progress, and a blog is a tidy way of keeping it all together!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 13:42   #167
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
PS; Who changed my Bludi Avatar......
Can't imagine
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 14:53   #168
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Pablo, you should start your blog now - it has been interesting following your progress, and a blog is a tidy way of keeping it all together!
Good idea, Im not an expet on computers, I do have a producer for our radio show but guess i should learn, there is a nice video on you tube but not sure how to copy link on here?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 14:59   #169
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Good idea, Im not an expet on computers, I do have a producer for our radio show but guess i should learn, there is a nice video on you tube but not sure how to copy link on here?
For Youtube.... choose your video then left click on the 'Share' tag under the screen.... this opens another box underneath with the URL.... right click on this to copy... then paste in your CF post....
As for a Blog.... here ya go mate... Create a Blog - How to Create a Blog for Free in 4 Easy Steps
Enjoy...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 15:14   #170
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
For Youtube.... choose your video then left click on the 'Share' tag under the screen.... this opens another box underneath with the URL.... right click on this to copy... then paste in your CF post....
As for a Blog.... here ya go mate... Create a Blog - How to Create a Blog for Free in 4 Easy Steps
Enjoy...

Do I have to be a member of youtube to post it? Ive got as as Share and then the URL opens right click....then thats where im stuck.....
Old 01-06-2011, 15:25   #171
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bumfuzzles Are On The Move and Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Do I have to be a member of youtube to post it? Ive got as as Share and then the URL opens right click....then thats where im stuck.....
Well... if you've 2 pages open... one for Youtube and the other for CF....
After right clicking on the 'URL' a window opens, left click on Copy.....
move to the CF page... type your post and at the end place your pointer on the next line down and right click again... this then gives you the Paste option... left click and its job done.. then post
Probably clear as mud huh....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 15:37   #172
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Well... if you've 2 pages open... one for Youtube and the other for CF....
After right clicking on the 'URL' a window opens, left click on Copy.....
move to the CF page... type your post and at the end place your pointer on the next line down and right click again... this then gives you the Paste option... left click and its job done.. then post
Probably clear as mud huh....

I must be mad, it does not give me the paste option.......
Old 01-06-2011, 16:32   #173

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Pablo... get out there n do it... then sit back and laugh at everyone here telling you where you went wrong... even tho' you probably have not...
Its what CF's all about....

PS; Who changed my Bludi Avatar......
Probably some fool...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 22:46   #174

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Right click on the URL, when it turns blue, with the cursor looks like this (I) simply hold down CTRL then press the C key, that copies, move over where you want, then hit CTRL and the V to paste the URL where you want it...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 11:15   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Bumfuzzles are on the move and sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
It doesn't matter which people group you join, they all have their own jargon. It could be the tennis club, racing yachties, a church group or a bunch of politicians. All the insecure people make sure they learn the jargon as quickly as possible so that they "sound cool". I can hear it at my local yacht club bar on a Saturday arvo after the races. It's full of it. Many of the guys have never dared to poke the front of their boat out those scary heads to the open sea, but they're still the experts, just listen to them. And fancy overpriced clothes straight out of the sailing magazine proves that you know what your talking about.

I appluad the bumfuzzles for being comfortable enough in their own skin that they don't see the need to impress the insecure people, many of whom haven't sailed out of sight of the yacht club.

Greg
Peeshaw.
As someone who has raced with a skipper who was "Jargon challenged" I found it supremely frustrating on occasion. He said "sheet" when he meant alternately outhaul or halyard -- and just occasionally, the real jib sheet. The only reason things didn't go tits up is because I learned to read his mind.

The jargon is there for a reason - not everything is a rope because telling someone on the foredeck to grab "the rope" is at best confusing and inefficient and at worst, dangerous.
Old 01-07-2011, 14:13   #176
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to catch everyone up on the Bumfuzzle happenings: Pat, Ali and Ouest had been in San Diego taking care of some last-minute things before casting off to move the vessel down to PV (Puerto Vallarta). On the morning of June 20th, the whole family was up before sunrise and Pat took Ali, 7+ months pregnant, and Ouest to the airport to fly to PV. He swung by Home Depot to pick up a carbon monoxide detector, returned the rental car, got a ride back to the boat and cast off before 8:30am.

Although there was a minor grounding mishap (that caused no damage) before he was out of the harbor, he was pulled off and on his way quickly. The goal for the day was to reach Ensenada before sunset.

He pulled into the marina just north of town an hour before the sun dropped into the Pacific.

The next morning he left bright and early, making some westing as he headed south, seeking to establish some sea room as he made his way along the lengthy lee shore that is the west coast of Baja. By 5pm on the 23rd, he dropped anchor in Bahia Tortugas, Turtle Bay.

After a good night's sleep, he topped off with diesel the next morning and headed south once again. He could have made for the next traditional anchorage down the coast at Bahia Magdalena, or Mag Bay to most west coast sailors, but he was passing there in the dark of night and wanted to keep going.

Sometime around 4:00pm on the 25th, his speed decreased by about a knot and a half, and the next morning he could see why. Trailing behind Bumfuzzle about fifty feet was a big hunk of styrofoam, being pulled along by a mess of fishing line snagged by the vessel with even more fishing line trailing along behind the float. Although this had happened to Pat and Ali numerous times during their circumnavigation, dealing with it when you're sailing on a catamaran with another competent crew aboard is one thing . . . dealing with it when you're single-handed and aboard a high-freeboard monohull is quite another.

Still, the drag had to be eliminated, so Pat prepared to go over the side with his knife. Here's how he described the ordeal in his log:

"So I got a long line ready to trail off the back of the boat, I put the swim ladder in with another line tying that onto the boat, shut off the engine, grabbed my knife and mask, stripped, and waited. Waited for the boat to stop moving. Two knots we were still laboring away at. Ten knots of wind, small seas, and a small swell all conspired to keep us moving at two knots.

"Two knots doesn't sound like much, but it is. I climbed down the swim ladder and then slipped into the water, still holding on to the ladder. Immediately me and the ladder were trailing alongside the boat at what felt like great speed. I could barely even get a look at the rudder. All I could see was a big steel leader line wrapped around it, another small styrofoam buoy tucked in against it, and a fish head as big as mine trailing a few feet back. Not cool. By the time I scrambled back aboard I had a cut on my hand and a nice gash on my knee. And I hadn't even let go of the boat. This is an all together different ball game than the catamaran. And being alone doesn't help matters one bit. At least with Ali I could let go of the boat and know that if I were separated she would come get me. Now if I get separated I'm dead. Two very different outcomes to the same situation.

"In the end I dragged the line up on the boat, cut off the big buoy, and then tied off the remaining line to a cleat. This keeps the stuff still in the water from getting wrapped up in the prop, and eliminates the bulk of what was dragging us down. The speed I'm making now makes it seem as if nothing is down there. And as long as nothing is in the prop I should be okay.

"One other thing. I'm two-thirds of the way down the Baja Peninsula and the water temperature still took my breath away."

Annticipating a quick stop in Cabo San Lucas to take on diesel and some fresh water, remove the tangled mess of fishing line and check email before pushing on, Pat was happily motor-sailing along at about 4:00pm on the afternoon of the 27th when he heard what he describes as a "click clunk." The engine still sounded good, but he knew something was wrong. Though the engine was running perfectly, the vessel was slowly losing momentum.

Checking in the engine compartment didn't reveal any issues 'til he looked further aft. The problem quickly became apparent . . . the shaft coupling had snapped and there was no possibility of repairing it at sea. The only option was to put in at Cabo.

Fortunately, in a sportfishing mecca like Cabo, competent mechanical help is not difficult to find. The only question was whether the single good sail still capable of moving Bumfuzzle would take him the last fifteen miles to the anchorage.

It did.

Within two hours of getting a tow into the anchorage and dropping anchor, Pat had gotten two water taxis to tie off on either side of the vessel and move him into the marina, checked in and was told that Octavio was the transmission guy, made arrangements to meet him back at the boat, gotten something to eat and found Octavio waiting for him when he got back to Bumfuzzle.

Octavio removed as much of the broken coupling as he could, but the remainder would have to be cut off. The entire shaft coupling would have to be replaced.

The next morning, Octavio and one helper were back at the boat to resume the removal of the rest of the coupling, which went quickly without torching the boat. The hunt began for a replacement, and one was found that could be machined to accomplish the repair. By 6:00pm on the 28th, Octavio returned to the boat with the new coupling ready to be installed, and by 8:00pm the vessel was once again smoothly motoring around the harbor.

If the fuel docks had been open, Pat would have filled the tanks and set off that night, but since they weren't, that would delay departure until morning. The entire episode had amounted to a delay of about thirty-six hours, including waiting overnight for the fuel dock to re-open.

Since people are forever asking how it is that Pat and Ali can afford their cruising lifestyle, Pat mentions how this incident cost him, essentially, nothing . . . though he spent over $700 in Cabo effecting the repair. Here's how that came to pass:

"I don't talk a whole lot about my [stock and commodity] trading but Ali just asked me how much this whole thing cost and it sort of ties in. All told, including hiring water taxis to tow me in, parts, mechanics, marina bills, this will have cost over seven hundred dollars. So this morning while I was waiting for the guys to show up I was watching the stock market. A stock I like had been getting knocked around a bit lately so I placed a lowball bid right before the open to buy some call options. The order got filled somehow, and the stock immediately went up, along with the rest of the market today. Within fifteen minutes my sell order got hit, and the market backed off a little bit. In those fifteen minutes I'd bought the low of the day, sold the high of the day, and made enough to pay for this whole debacle.

"Some would say luck, but I prefer the saying about luck being when preparation meets opportunity. In this case I just happened to have a wifi connection while waiting for somebody to show up. Instead of reading blogs I made a trade. Now the funny thing is that if I hadn't broken down I'd have been at sea and wouldn't have made the trade. So financially we are no better or worse off than we would have been had none of this happened. Weird the way the world works sometimes."

Pat will have left Cabo the morning of the 29th (assuming the fuel dock was open), with another 2-3 days to cross open water before reaching Puerto Vallarta on the mainland. He may well be there now.

To read the log of the voyage, go to bumfuzzle | june 2011 and scroll down about half-way. The log for the beginning of the voyage begins on June 20th, just below the cute close-up of Ouest. Enjoy.

TaoJones
Old 01-07-2011, 15:01   #177

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

It just shows the naysayers tjat they can handle any problem that comes up.

Bet that relly pi$$e$ the naysayers off..

Thanks Tao, forgot to check up on them...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 15:50   #178
td1

Somehow I doubt little things like dealing with a transmission problem, or, I don't know, completing a circumnavigation, will keep the naysayers quite.
td1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 15:57   #179

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Thanks for the update Tao.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 16:13   #180

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Go Bumfuzzles!
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote