Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 15:10   #61

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: Boating Pet Peeves

To follow on from Anne Cate yes I agree with you to now have to identify the channel number because if the radio is in the nav station on scan it is hard to pick up before the radio scans on to another channel, even if the radio has a remote on the wheel ( like mine) and I am busy I miss the call .

Butttttt the big peeve is the radio opp that transmits so fast that the transmission is faster than the scan and the station being called misses the call when he is on scan so the caller constantly re initiates the call. It seems that the defence force here in Aust is a leader in this speed transmission but they are highly trained to identify the call.

The experienced radio opp is noticed by his/her 3 repeats of the call giving time for it to be heard not just one and get a flustered when the call does not go through like a mobile phone. Ho Hum
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 15:43   #62

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I will pile on too...not stating the channel is nuts as some boats monitor multiple radios and aren't always staring at them.

Sure if you are hailing someone that is expecting you on a channel is one thing...but blind calling is another.

A follow on to Mark Pierce's post about sailors tacking in front of him and Ann Cate's response about sailors badmouthing stinkpotters....I have live aboard and cruised sail and now power. Al so a commercial captain. For every story about one pursuit or the other...I have a story about the idiot with the other pursuit. In general there are more power boaters so it seems tilted one way, but per capita...I would say there are more bad sailors than stinkpotters. That's my pet peeve, one group who thinks they are better boaters....nope.... individuals are the only group to be stereotyped.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 01:59   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
my pet peeve of this week is poor radio work Like people hailing on the VHF who say "This is .... on Channel 16".

Well, how much duh can I load on that one? Work thru it. The ONLY people who will hear you are already on channel 16. They know what channel you're broadcasting on, the same one theiy're on. Doesn't really matter that it's 16. The people on 72, 14, etc. are not going to care, either.

I see this as just barely above "Breaker breaker". Or The people who say "roger" when you ask them a question. Another duh. "ROGER" doesn't mean "affirmative." It means "received". It's an acknowledgement of a sucessful bit of transmission. You want to use that lingo to agree, you could try "Wilco" for "Will comply". THEN you use over and out. And there can be an over and standing by, as well. On 16. typically.
1. As other have said, stating channel is useful where people are on dual/triple watch on channel scan.

2. But one of my biggest peeves is "Over and Out"? It's either "Over" = "I await your response" or "Out" = "This conversation is ended". ( "Over and standing by" is tautology.)

And I always get a giggle out of "3 POB on board"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 04:17   #64
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I cannot imagine why someone would monitor so many radio channels that they can't figure out which one is active. Perhaps you're in the wrong hobby of sailing when you should be a ham radio fanatic.

But I do see that I'm in an entirely different situation. I don't even turn the VHF radio on unless I want to make a call. Then I turn if off again. For days.
Old 19-03-2015, 04:33   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
my pet peeve of this week is poor radio work Like people hailing on the VHF who say "This is .... on Channel 16"...
From the Canadian Study Guide for the Restricted Operator's Certificate

Single Station Call
Example
VANCOUVER COAST GUARD RADIO (said once or if communication conditions are difficult not more than 3 times)
THIS IS SEA FOX VC1234
ON CHANNEL 26
OVER

Here ➥ http://www.obsr.ca/radio-ric23.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 05:29   #66

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
I cannot imagine why someone would monitor so many radio channels that they can't figure out which one is active. Perhaps you're in the wrong hobby of sailing when you should be a ham radio fanatic.

But I do see that I'm in an entirely different situation. I don't even turn the VHF radio on unless I want to make a call. Then I turn if off again. For days.
where you are may allow that...

where some of us boat, sailors with their radios off are a pet peeve because you try and be nice to work out a friendly pass and you can't talk to them.

either way..there's plenty of reasons to monitor at least 2 channels in some US areas where commercial traffic is...and how possibly adding a couple more words be more annoying than trying to call someone who leaves their radio off?

with the radio off, you can't assist in a possible rescue attempt....would you like other people to monitor it so they could help you?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 06:16   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
And I always get a giggle out of "3 POB on board"
Or people that refer to their PIN number? So they have a Personal Identification Number number?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:10   #68

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

Really? Give up boating because I monitor the VHF and more than one channel? In my area I need to monitor multiple channels.

And you leave your VHF off? What, to save electricity? What if someone is trying to contact you?
Old 19-03-2015, 07:28   #69

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Radio Watchkeeping Regulations

In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 08:08   #70

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Maine Lobstermen's sense of humor. While trying to negotiate the nightmare of Maine Lobster pot floats one occasionally finds a "lane" perhaps 50 ft wide where one can proceed for perhaps a mile without having to dodge a pot float. Apparently this is a problem for lobstermen if one happens to be nearby. Having noticed a Catamaran proceeding in a straight line they will proceed to a point perhaps a hundred yards or so in front of the boat and drop a pot right in the middle of the lane and stay there long enough that one has to stop the boat to avoid a collision with either a pot float or the lobster boat. As soon as it has become abundantly clear that you have stopped they proceed a couple of hundred yard astern of your boat and drop a pot in the lane behind you. This is apparently quite humorous to the men in the lobsterboat. This has happened to me on several occasions. I suppose if I was a lobsterman I might understand their sense of humor but I don't.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 08:47   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Maine Lobstermen's sense of humor. While trying to negotiate the nightmare of Maine Lobster pot floats one occasionally finds a "lane" perhaps 50 ft wide where one can proceed for perhaps a mile without having to dodge a pot float. Apparently this is a problem for lobstermen if one happens to be nearby. Having noticed a Catamaran proceeding in a straight line they will proceed to a point perhaps a hundred yards or so in front of the boat and drop a pot right in the middle of the lane and stay there long enough that one has to stop the boat to avoid a collision with either a pot float or the lobster boat. As soon as it has become abundantly clear that you have stopped they proceed a couple of hundred yard astern of your boat and drop a pot in the lane behind you. This is apparently quite humorous to the men in the lobsterboat. This has happened to me on several occasions. I suppose if I was a lobsterman I might understand their sense of humor but I don't.
Yea, ha ha. Very funny. Wonder if they would be amused if you just ran over the pot buoy they dropped in front of you.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 09:16   #72

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
As soon as they leave to plant the pot behind you,gaff the first bouy & drop it over a stern cleat.Proceed to tow it to deeper water-keep a knife handy for release purposes.
If you are really upset,tow it thru a field of pots til it winds a few up,& then let it go.Takes time to un-snarl a mess like that-plus trying to explain to their fellow potters,why they caused it.
As usual,99% are good guys making a living,but what you have described is beyond "fun".
Old 19-03-2015, 14:22   #73

In many states it is against the law to disturb a commercial waterman's traps. In other cases, the watermen do not depend on the law to protect their equipment, they handle violations themselves. You won't like how they do this.

Like jet skis and wakes, crab and lobster pot floats are a PITA but a reality of life on the water. Deal with them or find someplace else to boat.
Old 19-03-2015, 14:25   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post

In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.
Apparently, commercial vessels no longer are required to do this, they monitor channel 13 instead. And sailboats? Who knows but I haven't had much luck contacting them on the AICW. Well, maybe 50% will answer back.
Old 19-03-2015, 14:50   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
As soon as they leave to plant the pot behind you,gaff the first bouy & drop it over a stern cleat.Proceed to tow it to deeper water-keep a knife handy for release purposes.
If you are really upset,tow it thru a field of pots til it winds a few up,& then let it go.Takes time to un-snarl a mess like that-plus trying to explain to their fellow potters,why they caused it.
As usual,99% are good guys making a living,but what you have described is beyond "fun".
Obviously you know little about proper etiquette when it comes to Maine lobstermen. Moreover, should they ever see you trying such nonsense, like towing or cutting, you will be in the middle of a ****-storm before you can blink an eye. Forget the law, as they will not call anyone to complain. They will take care of the situation first hand, and pronto!

What Cap Bill doesn`t understand is that the actions he described, if real, were intentional. Not a joke. Lobstering is their livlihood. It`s a job, pure and simple. Pleasure boaters are merely a nuisance, yet Maine lobstermen do have respect and are generally nice people. If you are sinking, they will help. However, if you cruise the coast of Maine you MUST respect their business. It`s an unwritten law. So what if you have to avoid a pot? Just do it, and don`t complain like an *******. Then after you set anchor, take the tender to the dock and enjoy a very fresh and yummy Maine lobster, with steamed clams on the side.

If still confused, just do this: Always give a Maine lobsterman the right of way, and don`t complain. Cutting pot bouys ????? Good luck, my friend!!
They have shotguns on board. They don`t f%#k around. Ever hear of pirates in Maine? NOPE!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating