Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 19:12   #46

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Boating Pet Peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Big power boats cutting in front of you & leaving you 'in the wake' big time! When there was lots of room to stay way clear of course.
Sailboats tacking/jibing in front of me.

Old 14-03-2015, 19:54   #47

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

[sailboats gybing in front]
Isn't that a bit like being peeved about someone in a crosswalk making you slow down/stop your car?
Or maybe you should have put a <sarcasm> or equivalent in your post.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:23   #48

No, that's like making an unexpected, sudden move making it more difficult to stay out of their way.
Old 14-03-2015, 20:31   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Boating Pet Peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sailboats tacking/jibing in front of me.

Presuming you took this photpo of two boats and you are reaching on starboard I don't see any issue for you....

I do see two guys with a tough decision to make...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:37   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Presuming you took this photpo of two boats and you are reaching on starboard I don't see any issue for you....

They are racing and I'm heading in their direction. As a motor boat, I'm burdened but would appreciate if close-encountered sailboats would maintain a steady course so I can readily avoid them. Some sailboaters act like they own the water.

I had hoped to follow a ship to clear the way, but wasn't able to keep up with my six-knot boat.

Old 14-03-2015, 21:14   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

markpierce,

It's good to be reminded how we sailors can make life difficult for you motor boaters. We often get into telling "the most egregious thing a stink-potter ever did to us" conversations. I appreciate the balance your comments lend.

Ann
Old 15-03-2015, 09:03   #52

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Yea. Like, "Here comes another one Ron, you tack and I'll gybe. That ought to twist his knickers a good one".
Old 15-03-2015, 14:47   #53

Another peeve: dust! It just ain't fair, hundreds of miles from any land, and there's still dust accumulating on the boat!

Ann
Old 15-03-2015, 14:53   #54
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Another peeve: dust! It just ain't fair, hundreds of miles from any land, and there's still dust accumulating on the boat!

Ann
I used to wonder about this when I was on submarines. I'll just tell you it ain't all dust!
Old 18-03-2015, 12:04   #55
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

my pet peeve of this week is poor radio work Like people hailing on the VHF who say "This is .... on Channel 16".

Well, how much duh can I load on that one? Work thru it. The ONLY people who will hear you are already on channel 16. They know what channel you're broadcasting on, the same one theiy're on. Doesn't really matter that it's 16. The people on 72, 14, etc. are not going to care, either.

I see this as just barely above "Breaker breaker". Or The people who say "roger" when you ask them a question. Another duh. "ROGER" doesn't mean "affirmative." It means "received". It's an acknowledgement of a sucessful bit of transmission. You want to use that lingo to agree, you could try "Wilco" for "Will comply". THEN you use over and out. And there can be an over and standing by, as well. On 16. typically.

Just don't tell me you're on 16. I know what channel I'm listening to.

So there.
Oh, thought of another pet peeve; People who make light of my peeves.
Old 18-03-2015, 12:14   #56

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Yeah.....drill through a champagne cork, insert dowel and fasten with glue or epoxy.
Thanks.
If there is a scientific equipment supply store in your area you might find a rubber stopper with a hole already drilled in it.
Old 18-03-2015, 12:19   #57
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
The oil filter solution [thanks for the link A 64 pilot, there isn't enough room in the engine box, but it sure is tempting!]:

First, lots of newspaper, then fold up a curved bit like the bottom half of a pipe to channel it out of the engine box onto a waiting absorptive pad that is on top of more newspaper.

Then, speed, Jim tries to un-spin it fast, and I am waiting with the large funnel and the waste oil jug, so he pops it in the funnel that I am holding.

Mess still happens, but it's corralled, and soon bagged, and disposed of.

I've had some luck puncturing and draining the filter before unscrewing it. I cut a 1 liter plastic bottle lengthwise to fit, and the bottom out so it acts like a big scoop that fits around the filter. I leave the round threaded mouth on the bottle. Then drive a screwdriver or big nail through the filter, and it doesn't matter where as long as one of the holes ends up at the low point of the filter. Usually can find an angle and I use a long skinny phillips. Then just let it drain, and catch it coming out the end of the cut down bottle. However you need to do that, hose, or another container, pad. Goes quicker if the oil's warm.

Then after it's all drained out, you can unspin it at your leisure, basically, just wrap a rag around it to catch the last few drips. 98% of that mess is already drained before you move the filter.

Sticking the phillips back in the hole also helps break the filter loose to unspin it.
Old 18-03-2015, 12:20   #58

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
No, that's like making an unexpected, sudden move making it more difficult to stay out of their way.
That can be a problem. Or the two dozen little bitty sailboats used by the local sailing school to teach kids how to sail. Since they don't know any better, they will sail right into you even if you are standing still.

And of course, commercial crabbers tending their pots track like a squirrel trying to cross the road.
Old 18-03-2015, 13:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
my pet peeve of this week is poor radio work Like people hailing on the VHF who say "This is .... on Channel 16".

Well, how much duh can I load on that one? Work thru it. The ONLY people who will hear you are already on channel 16. They know what channel you're broadcasting on, the same one theiy're on. Doesn't really matter that it's 16. The people on 72, 14, etc. are not going to care, either.

I see this as just barely above "Breaker breaker". Or The people who say "roger" when you ask them a question. Another duh. "ROGER" doesn't mean "affirmative." It means "received". It's an acknowledgement of a sucessful bit of transmission. You want to use that lingo to agree, you could try "Wilco" for "Will comply". THEN you use over and out. And there can be an over and standing by, as well. On 16. typically.

Just don't tell me you're on 16. I know what channel I'm listening to.

So there.
Oh, thought of another pet peeve; People who make light of my peeves.
Oh, Canibul, I'm so sorry. I can tell you why I do it, but I can sure see where you're coming from. I do it, because people are often scanning multiple channels, and it takes their radio a while to find me calling them. At that point, I want them to know I'm hailing them on 16, rather than on one of the other channels that people hang out on.

Ann
Old 18-03-2015, 14:19   #60

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Oh, Canibul, I'm so sorry. I can tell you why I do it, but I can sure see where you're coming from. I do it, because people are often scanning multiple channels, and it takes their radio a while to find me calling them. At that point, I want them to know I'm hailing them on 16, rather than on one of the other channels that people hang out on.

Ann
Good point Ann Cate!
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating