Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 08:42   #166

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Boating Pet Peeves

People who risk their safety and their $100k boat by using $3 garden LED's instead of a real anchor light.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:30   #167

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

To be fair, I think they were talking about garden lights in addition to the anchor light, not in place of a legal anchor light.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:55   #168
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
To be fair, I think they were talking about garden lights in addition to the anchor light, not in place of a legal anchor light.
Thank you. Absolutely no one on this thread (or several others in the past on the same subject) has ever suggested garden lights or any other similar instead of a legal anchor light. Always it is "in addition to" a legal anchor light.

When I was anchored in the St Johns River for a couple of months the local marine patrol guys went around to all the anchored boats in the area and told them they must have additional lights due to the local recreational fishing guys zooming around at night.

Of course a fancy, marine grade, LED something might be brighter but I added four garden lights at deck level in addition to a legal masthead light and another legal light hanging over the boom. The garden solar lights were clearly visible from a couple hundred yards away and made a nice addition to the visibility.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 11:15   #169

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

In both the US PNW and Canada, I've seen the garden lights instead of real anchor lights more than a few times.
One was in Sequim Bay on a liveaboard 50+ footer and a pretty nice boat at that.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:10   #170

Boat: Catalina 30

When people hail boats on the radio by asking if they "have their ears on"
Old 31-03-2015, 06:58   #171
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Thank you. Absolutely no one on this thread (or several others in the past on the same subject) has ever suggested garden lights or any other similar instead of a legal anchor light. Always it is "in addition to" a legal anchor light.

When I was anchored in the St Johns River for a couple of months the local marine patrol guys went around to all the anchored boats in the area and told them they must have additional lights due to the local recreational fishing guys zooming around at night.

Of course a fancy, marine grade, LED something might be brighter but I added four garden lights at deck level in addition to a legal masthead light and another legal light hanging over the boom. The garden solar lights were clearly visible from a couple hundred yards away and made a nice addition to the visibility.
We have been wondering if they have solar powered anchor lights. That would be a different thread though.

My pet peeve, which I'm sure has been mentioned already, is docking. It seems like the docking procedure almost turns into an argument, and I thought it was just us still learning. But then I walked past an older couple who have been sailing for decades who were having the same docking procedure argument. It made me laugh. It's good to know that docking is a "rip your hair out" situation for many boaters.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 07:47   #172

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Apparently, it's cheaper to make it that way. And for some reason, an adapter to fix the problem is $500.

I tried the plastic bag trick but it didn't help much. I just bought some disposable aluminum baking pans and wedge one under the filter when changing it. The pan catches the oil and I can dump it when I'm finished.
You can buy a remote oil filter including hoses for less than $100. mount it where it is convenient, (and vertically...)

Remote Oil Filter Kit | eBay
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 07:52   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
My pet peeve, which I'm sure has been mentioned already, is docking. It seems like the docking procedure almost turns into an argument, and I thought it was just us still learning.
is docking an irritant / "peeve" to you or the arguing that you get into? Seems odd to me. I can understand some people being afraid of docking but it being a pet peeve
Old 31-03-2015, 08:06   #174
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
is docking an irritant / "peeve" to you or the arguing that you get into? Seems odd to me. I can understand some people being afraid of docking but it being a pet peeve
Well yeah the argument the comes from it. It's just a stressful situation. I guess "peeve" was the wrong word, but it is something I don't anticipate when we're out sailing.

I guess a real pet peeve could be the wasps that like to take refuge in our sail cover. I hate those things. They are nearly indestructible.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 08:55   #175

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
it's a peeve when you're coming in for the perfect landing only to have some good Samaritan come running from a nearby boat to help with the lines and you throw them a line because you figure "why not" and then they pull too hard, pulling the bow in and the stern out which is fine except the only exit is at the back of the boat and next thing it all goes belly up and they look at you and give a shrug with "I forgot you don't have two motors" as they retreat back to the catamaran from whence they came
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 08:58   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
it's a peeve when you're coming in for the perfect landing only to have some good Samaritan come running from a nearby boat to help with the lines and you throw them a line because you figure "why not" and then they pull too hard, pulling the bow in and the stern out which is fine except the only exit is at the back of the boat and next thing it all goes belly up and they look at you and give a shrug with "I forgot you don't have two motors" as they retreat back to the catamaran from whence they came
Now this I can understand. I take pride in being able to dock softly and accurately. Someone screwing that up would peeve me too
Old 31-03-2015, 09:28   #177

Boat: Skookum 53'

You can look like a real hero, then the last 15 seconds of docking can make you look like a clown, even if you don't have help.
Old 31-03-2015, 09:59   #178
CLOD

Boat: none

after 177 posts I still haven't read anything that is more of a peeve than people who leave their halyards slapping
Old 31-03-2015, 10:55   #179

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

I've noticed people tightening their halyards before bungees to try to resolve halyard slapping when actually its better to loosen the halyards at the appropriate distance/location before attaching bungees.

It's sort of a reaction similar to running to land when there is a storm approaching instead of avoiding land. Rocks kill boats.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 12:39   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I used to have a pet peeve on board but it bit too many people so I had to get rid of it.

S/V B'Shert
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating