Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 17:10   #1
Registered User
 
wolfaroo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK South Coast
Boat: Unknown MFV 60ft
Posts: 111
Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

I once read that New Zealand has the highest boat ownership rate in the world and that it is somewhere around 1 person in every 4. Incredible. I'm not sure how accurate that stat is, but it does bring up one of the greatest places in the world, NZ (out of the 40+ countries I've been to thus far, NZ is my favourite one).

And while I'm on the subject of NZ, it would be *silly* not to mention that the Rugby World Cup kicks off there in just 8 hours time

Now I realise a lot of folk reading this are from the other side of the pond to me, and Rugby might be a bit too brutal for ya but please note; Team USA needs your support! Plus you have Russia in your group, what a clash that will be...

And even if you hate Rugby, the Kiwis are putting on a great show/party so at least try to tune in to the opening ceremony:

9th Sep, 0800 GMT/UTC, followed by NZ v Tonga at 0930 GMT/UTC
(details and streaming here Rugby World Cup 2011 - ITV )

Personally I think Australia are definitely the team to beat this year, but I'm not ruling out the All Blacks to end their 24 year wait or England make another final appearance. Exciting times ahead

Good luck to all (well maybe not the wallabies )

Cheers,
Neal

PS does anyone know the actual boat ownership rate in the land of the long white cloud?
__________________

__________________
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Ursula Le Guin
wolfaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:03   #2
Registered User
 
Knowazark's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
Posts: 159
Images: 3
Re: boat ownership in NZ (& the Rugby World Cup!)

The official boat ownership rate is "heaps".

Overall there would be a high ownership rate, but in some regions (e.g. Auckland or Northland) the rate would be much higher than others due to the close proximity of excellent cruising and boating opportunities.

The only answer to this question is to come here and find out for yourself. Nothing beats personal research and first hand information.
__________________

__________________
The problem with doing nothing all day is that you're never sure when you're actually finished.
Knowazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:32   #3
Obsfucator, Second Class
 
dacust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southeast USA.
Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Posts: 1,743
Re: boat ownership in NZ (& the Rugby World Cup!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfaroo View Post
...
9th Sep, 0800 GMT/UTC, followed by NZ v Tonga at 0930 GMT/UTC
(details and streaming here Rugby World Cup 2011 - ITV )
...
AAARRRRRRGGG!!!!!!!

It says "Sorry, this video is only available to be viewed within the United Kingdom. ..."

You are a rotten, scurvy dog for posting that link and getting my hopes up.

-dan



Actually I've never seen rugby or cricket and would like to sometime. Only problem is, I don't have TV. Only way I can watch anything is on the interwebs.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 14:27   #4
Registered User
 
wolfaroo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK South Coast
Boat: Unknown MFV 60ft
Posts: 111
Re: boat ownership in NZ (& the Rugby World Cup!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
AAARRRRRRGGG!!!!!!!

It says "Sorry, this video is only available to be viewed within the United Kingdom. ..."

You are a rotten, scurvy dog for posting that link and getting my hopes up.

-dan



Actually I've never seen rugby or cricket and would like to sometime. Only problem is, I don't have TV. Only way I can watch anything is on the interwebs.
I am a rotten, scurvy dog but Dan I'm very sorry, it was not intentional! - I had no idea it was only for UK users. Those pesky protectionists. Anyway, I had a quick google and there seems to be a few sites streaming a live video feed but not sure which ones you can access from there - I'm sure a major channel there will be carrying the tournament? Failing that, you can always use a UK proxy server to 'trick' the site into thinking you are accessing from here... try UK Proxy server for the BBC Iplayer which is free I believe.

NZ 41 - 10 Tonga

0100 GMT/UTC - Scotland v Romania
0330 GMT/UTC - Fiji v Namibia
0600 GMT/UTC - France v Japan
0830 GMT/UTC - England v Argentina

11th Sep...
0330 GMT/UTC - Australia v Italy
0600 GMT/UTC - Ireland v USA
0830 GMT/UTC - South Africa v Wales
__________________
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Ursula Le Guin
wolfaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:15   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class
 
dacust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southeast USA.
Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Posts: 1,743
Re: boat ownership in NZ (& the Rugby World Cup!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfaroo View Post
I am a rotten, scurvy dog but Dan I'm very sorry, it was not intentional! - I had no idea it was only for UK users. Those pesky protectionists. Anyway, I had a quick google and there seems to be a few sites streaming a live video feed but not sure which ones you can access from there - I'm sure a major channel there will be carrying the tournament? Failing that, you can always use a UK proxy server to 'trick' the site into thinking you are accessing from here... try UK Proxy server for the BBC Iplayer which is free I believe.

NZ 41 - 10 Tonga

0100 GMT/UTC - Scotland v Romania
0330 GMT/UTC - Fiji v Namibia
0600 GMT/UTC - France v Japan
0830 GMT/UTC - England v Argentina

11th Sep...
0330 GMT/UTC - Australia v Italy
0600 GMT/UTC - Ireland v USA
0830 GMT/UTC - South Africa v Wales
Very cool. I'll play around with the proxy and look for other sites this weekend.

You have redeemed yourself.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:23   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 146
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

I read that there are 3700 licensed prostitutes in NZ waiting to serve. Must be a lot of solo sailers over there.
__________________
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:33   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr View Post
I read that there are 3700 licensed prostitutes in NZ waiting to serve. Must be a lot of solo sailers over there.
no mate,the sheep are just having a day off............
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:27   #8
Registered User
 
Mexdon's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mexico City
Boat: CR 56 CC to be built 2014 2015
Posts: 455
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

dacust, here is a link to the video clips after the games. The whole game is not covered but you can get some idea of the game.

Official RWC 2011 Site

being a kiwi living in Mexico I am as frustrated as anyone not being able to get live streaming, and like you I am playing around to find a free site.
__________________
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 17:12   #9
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
no mate,the sheep are just having a day off............
mmm... I also heard that there is a huge market for velcro gloves over there.
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 14:23   #10
Registered User
 
roger.waite's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plimmerton, New Zealand
Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Posts: 380
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
mmm... I also heard that there is a huge market for velcro gloves over there.
Hah! Only an Australian would know how to use them.
__________________
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 14:40   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Trismus 37
Posts: 760
pirate Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Ah well theres Aussie GONE!!!! though I think Quade Cooper was a fifth column playing for the All Blacks!! only the Froggies left, They (the French) have rerouted one of their Navy ships to Auckland, for moral support? Or are they going to blow something up if we don't let them win.
Where's Greenpeace when we need them!
__________________
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 15:25   #12
Registered User
 
Nauticatarcher's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mooloolaba, Qld
Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Posts: 396
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
mmm... I also heard that there is a huge market for velcro gloves over there.
An Australian and a Kiwi are driving across the Nullabor and the Kiwi spots a sheep with its head stuck in the fence and says to the Aussie quick stop the car and rushes over and has his way with the sheep, gets back to the car and says to the Aussie your next and the Aussie gets out and goes and puts his head in the fence!
__________________
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 15:27   #13
Registered User
 
Mexdon's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mexico City
Boat: CR 56 CC to be built 2014 2015
Posts: 455
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
Ah well theres Aussie GONE!!!! though I think Quade Cooper was a fifth column playing for the All Blacks!! only the Froggies left, They (the French) have rerouted one of their Navy ships to Auckland, for moral support? Or are they going to blow something up if we don't let them win.
Where's Greenpeace when we need them!
AB's aren't stupid....plant a kiwi in Aus to play for you. Worked well.
__________________
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 15:41   #14
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,080
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Of course - the Kiwis and Australia played a test in a different code last weekend, I think the result was 42 -6.

Some of the stunning attacking football can be seen here Test Football Highlights

*attacking football, trying to score tries* Its the reason I enjoy league more than union.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 15:48   #15
Registered User
 
Mexdon's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mexico City
Boat: CR 56 CC to be built 2014 2015
Posts: 455
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Boat Ownership in NZ (and the Rugby World Cup !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Of course - the Kiwis and Australia played a test in a different code last weekend, I think the result was 42 -6.

Some of the stunning attacking football can be seen here Test Football Highlights

*attacking football, trying to score tries* Its the reason I enjoy league more than union.
The actual score was 20 - 6. should have been higher but Piri Weepu had an off day with his kicking.
__________________

__________________
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ownership

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.