Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-01-2012, 20:33   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: boat owners who act like classic/exotic car owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Wrong answer. You have some fun with it. Something like last guy walked by and said if I pissed where the windless goes I would preserve the wood prevent electrolysis and get better ssb reception. I'm doing that every night now with great success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
The unsolicited advise guy is the worst.....
I told someone the other day that you can't take a leak without this guy telling you how to hold your johnson. He's a nice guy, don't get me wrong, but god damn. Like I'm walking around talking to him about why he has bad taste in music. If he asks me for my opinion I'll gladly give it to him the best way I can, but I'm not just going to waltz the docks pontificating ad naseum to anyone I can manage to trap.

Old 31-01-2012, 20:43   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I had a fella stop with his buddy during my last haul out and begin making loud pronouncements and suggestions. My self and the other guy working just ignored him and went about our business. After a while he said, "You guys aren't going to take any of my suggestions are you?", so I stopped and said, "Well that one seems like a good suggestion, I think I'll take your advice."

Actually I wouldn't have been so cocksure if the friend I was working with hadn't grown up in his Dad's boatyard and been building boats his whole life!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 21:06   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I had a fella stop with his buddy during my last haul out and begin making loud pronouncements and suggestions. My self and the other guy working just ignored him and went about our business. After a while he said, "You guys aren't going to take any of my suggestions are you?", so I stopped and said, "Well that one seems like a good suggestion, I think I'll take your advice."

Actually I wouldn't have been so cocksure if the friend I was working with hadn't grown up in his Dad's boatyard and been building boats his whole life!
The funny thing is that the guys who really do know their way around are the guys who generally don't say beans. A friend of mine started, owns, and has run for something like 30 years. The guy is completely unassuming, totally nice, and I almost have to get him to give me an opinion on anything.
Old 31-01-2012, 21:12   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

I think we all know someone who is a "know it all".

My brother in law is one of those. He was a licensed mechanic, so one would think one could at least believe he had some knowledge that was legitimate in that area.

We were hunting one day in the bush, and his truck started acting up... it was clear it was a fuel pump problem, as it was leaking. Well, Mr. Mechanic wants to silicone the heck out of it, including the vent tube. I looked at him and suggested maybe that was not such a good idea, as one would not want crankcase full of fuel.

"Oh, yeah, you might have a point".

The funniest part was we limped it into a town 20 miles away and pulled up to a parts depot to get a new pump. He couldn't get it off, so he went to get his "persuader", his sledge hammer.

I looked at the fuel pump, took a wrench, and removed the last bolt. As he came from getting his sledge hammer, I asked him, "Is this what you wanted removed"? showing the old fuel pump.

"How did you get that out"? he said.

I told him I removed the third bolt. Well, you should have heard the litany of he had never seen such a thing on a Ford truck, he's only ever seen two bolts, and what a strange thing, and he bet now we well never get a replacement part etc. etc.

Of course they had the right part.

I just giggled inside, because I knew what he was like. Still is. Oh well, he treats my sister right.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: