Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27   #61

Hey Scott!!

Glad to hear that ya got yourself another boat. Cool!!

Symbiosis. Sounds like a good name to me. Very Science Fiction.

Hope to see some photos of that boat on this forum real soon.

Enjoy the boat. And take care. :cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02   #62

Boat: Lagoon 37
"Running Amuck"
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17   #63

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'm not real fond of the name that's on the ole lady right now. The name TRIX came on the boat in big gold letters. But I think "TRIX are for kids"
So I'll be changing the name when I get her restored.

The Wife calls her The Other Woman and joking says "are you going to see the other woman today" as I'm on my way out the door to do some more work on the boat. And I smile and say, yes!
Don't worry, we have a good relationship, it's all in fun!!

But I do plan to change the boats name, with a name changing ceremony of course, after she's basically finished. Although, I'm not superstitious, except when it comes to Murphy's Law

I hope to sail her over to the Philippines where my wife is from and spend our final years around the S. Pacific. So we've decided to give her the name BabeaKute.
In the Tagalog language it's a phrase that is commonly used among the older generation to describe female friends that have aged but are still looking sexy.

We had thought of Sampaquita, which is the PI national flower (white). But the boat will never be white so that was dismissed.............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 15:46   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
I'm not real fond of the name that's on the ole lady right now. The name TRIX came on the boat in big gold letters. But I think "TRIX are for kids"
So I'll be changing the name when I get her restored.

The Wife calls her The Other Woman and joking says "are you going to see the other woman today" as I'm on my way out the door to do some more work on the boat. And I smile and say, yes!
Don't worry, we have a good relationship, it's all in fun!!

But I do plan to change the boats name, with a name changing ceremony of course, after she's basically finished. Although, I'm not superstitious, except when it comes to Murphy's Law

I hope to sail her over to the Philippines where my wife is from and spend our final years around the S. Pacific. So we've decided to give her the name BabeaKute.
In the Tagalog language it's a phrase that is commonly used among the older generation to describe female friends that have aged but are still looking sexy.

We had thought of Sampaquita, which is the PI national flower (white). But the boat will never be white so that was dismissed.............................._/)
I envy you, the Visayas are the cat's meow. Assume you'll be spending some time there. Be sure to carefully time your arrival - it's a typhoon machine!
Old 09-06-2007, 18:53   #65

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Off topic a bit

But Aklan will be home port. And I've been told by the locals that below the 10º parallel there is less chance of the storms.

The wife's sister has beach front property in Palawan. That'll be a good hide out during the high season.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 19:52   #66

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
As to the "dog" motiff, our last boat was "Rover," which I liked because of the double entendre. She was both loyal (like "Fido"), and she roved the waves. Her first name was "Go Wild." The second owner named her "Windrose." When we renamed her, we did the whole formal procedure, asking the blessings of the four Gods of the wind, Neptune & Posieden(sp?), because we didn't know whether the God of the sea better heard Latin or Greek, and any other Gods we could find. We were basically begging for leniency. There was lots of red wine involved-port, starboard, aft and forward. You are supposed to have a virgin girl urinate in your bilges if you change the vessel's name, but I live in south Florida, so that wasn't an option. Hence the red wine. It seemed to have brought us luck.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:11   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
But Aklan will be home port. And I've been told by the locals that below the 10º parallel there is less chance of the storms.

The wife's sister has beach front property in Palawan. That'll be a good hide out during the high season.
Palawan is the magical place in the whole world, IMHO!
Old 10-06-2007, 13:24   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:

Where's the property in Palawan?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map-palawan.gif
Views:	593
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1267  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 13:30   #69

Quote:
Pretty much anywhere at the 10º parallel. All the way down to all of Mandanao island is pretty much a Typhoon free zone. They "just" never get to see any Typhoons down that way.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:57   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Boat Name Game takes a brutally humorous look at what your boat name says about you.

Eg:
”Fantasea”
You’re overdue for a dose of reality.
You believe boating will be a fantastic experience, an activity filled with wonder, adventure and excitement. The romance of the sport led you to buy your boat, and you can’t wait to sail off into the sunset.
Unfortunately, you don’t know how to work the sails, read a chart, or plot a waypoint to your next port of call.

Goto: http://boatnamegame.com/

Old 02-10-2007, 03:41   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The Boat Name Game takes a brutally humorous look at what your boat name says about you.
Sorry, more insulting than brutal. It wasn't even that funny.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:07   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How ‘bout this one?

Were he just trying to be honest when he painted “Lucky Sperm” on his boat’s transom?

Lucky Sperm
You were born rich and don’t care who knows it.
You have all the best helm electronics, which you use while sitting in your leather captain’s chair. You really do enjoy boating, even though you go skiing in the Alps just as often as you do on the water.
Other boaters resent you, but that’s just because they’re jealous.

The Name Game ~ BoatUS
”If you want to get boat owners talking, ask them how they arrived at the name they gave their boat. The ancient Egyptians allegedly began the tradition of naming boats centuries ago on the Nile River, and boat owners have been racking their brains ever since for the perfect boat name. In fact, most will confess that they spent far more time thinking about a perfect name for their boat than their children. That makes sense: children don’t go around with their name emblazoned in six-inch letters on their rear ends.
For the past 11 years, BoatUS has conducted a highly unscientific but immensely interesting survey of the most popular boat names. These names come from the BoatUS Graphics department, which each year produces lettering for thousands of boats...”

Goto: BoatUS Magazine - The Name Game

Fun and Clever Boat Names:
Fun & Clever Boat Names

Most Popular Boat Names
Boat Names

Popular Boat Names:
Popular Boat Names

Funny Boat Names Using Word Play:
JavaSigns.com

Old 02-10-2007, 05:45   #73

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Aeolus --> Emily Ann --> Kalliste --> Dove

The name of my boat when I bought her was Aeolus. As the ruler of the winds in Greek mythology, this seemed like a good name for a sailboat. However, for some reason, I didn't like the way it sounded. When I splashed her, she had no name--I just referred to her as "the boat." I considered naming her "Emily Ann" after my daughter, but felt my son (who had spent many hours helping me restore her) would be offended. I finally decided on Kalliste. Kalliste was a sea nymph and a daughter of the sea-god Triton. (My boat is a Pearson Triton.) Well, I used that name for about a year (though never put it on the transom). But bridge tenders, other boaters, and people in general always repeated the name back to me as a question, usually pronouncing it incorrectly--"Calypso?" So, about three years ago, when I transfered the USCG documentation on the boat from the previous owner to me, I settled on the name Dove. It was, in part, in homage to Robin Graham and his Dove. His circumnavigation (and Slocum's and Pidgeon's) were what initially got me interested in sailing and cruising.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:00   #74

I have seen numerous one of a kind names
EssoB (the guy owned Esso stations)
Emanon (noname backwards)
and one boat that had two different names of two different women (the skipper would park the boat with the name of the woman who was to next to visit so it was visible)
Old 02-10-2007, 11:38   #75

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Wife nixed this name

We like to do a lot of daysails in the afternoon, so I wanted to name the boat with something appropos.

The wife nixed this one:

"Afternoon Delight"

Steve B.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names