Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 14:20   #1
cruiser

Boat Beauty Contest!

On a multihull thread recently, I called catamarans ugly. I'll still stick with that statement, although I'm sure I'll be in a world of hate mail soon for it. ha ha

So it appears we all like different things in boats.

I'm somewhat partial to this one:

Nautor Swan 68 Sail boat, 21,13 metres long, in Mallorca for 1395000 € - Sailing boats, motor boats, rental boats, charter, moorings, free advertisements

I also love the look of older wooden ketches.

Post a picture of a boat you find beautiful and discuss...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swan.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	2832  
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 15:33   #2

I like a Bayfield 36 - especially when it's used as a real Caribbean cruising boat that real people can afford:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wind-Borne III Los Aves.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2833   Click image for larger version

Name:	wind-borneclassic.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2834  

slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 16:50   #3
cruiser

She sure is pretty!

I like that bow and of course... cutter rigs look very sharp.

It's kind of neat to look at boats just for beauty without considering seaworthiness or other "logical" things about them.

I think I like the lines better than the Swan.
Old 29-02-2008, 03:37   #4

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Sean
While I would agree in some ways the more you think cats the more you will come to see monos as fat and barge like especially the more modern wide ass creations.

Look at a cat with slender hulls and they exude performance. I see the comparison along the lines of a wide racer such as a F1, or Indy car for the yanks, compared to some sort of transport van or RV. While the racer may not be beautiful as such it is a lot more sexy.

A head on view of a cat with a wide stance on slim hulls and with good bridgedeck clearance suggests a real purpose with determination.

Flame suit on
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 03:55   #5
cruiser

Ha ha ha! I had to laugh when you said an F1 vs. and RV. That's a funny comparison.

But one of my alterior motives in this beauty contest was indeed to see pictures of cats people thought were sexy and see if I liked them too.

I was hoping for a good turn out of "beauty queens" to compare and really give it some thought.

I bought the catamaran out of pure logic. I have fallen in love with the interior, but the exteriors... I still haven't been able to fall in love.
Old 29-02-2008, 03:58   #6

It's hard to argue such issues as aesthetics. And each "genre" can be evaluated with respect to it's niche. There are some principals such as "aerodynamic" profiles and smooth lines which seem to please the eye.

I would posit that the mono hull shape is most similar to a fish and the boxy profile of the cat is not a stream lined shape as a whole. A monohull seems to be more "natural" in a fluid. Cats are "two mono hulls" which can dispense of the heavy keel and use the wide stance for stability. I get it.

The style of a yacht whether a sleek race boat or a traditional looking woodie is really a matter of personal taste.

I prefer the aft cockpit, flush deck with a fine bow entry and a moderately sloped transom, tall rig and a bit beamy for ""looks". Teak decks look warm and lovely but are practical nightmares.

What do I know?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 04:16   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
It's hard to argue such issues as aesthetics. And each "genre" can be evaluated with respect to it's niche. There are some principals such as "aerodynamic" profiles and smooth lines which seem to please the eye.

I would posit that the mono hull shape is most similar to a fish and the boxy profile of the cat is not a stream lined shape as a whole. A monohull seems to be more "natural" in a fluid. Cats are "two mono hulls" which can dispense of the heavy keel and use the wide stance for stability. I get it.

The style of a yacht whether a sleek race boat or a traditional looking woodie is really a matter of personal taste.

I prefer the aft cockpit, flush deck with a fine bow entry and a moderately sloped transom, tall rig and a bit beamy for ""looks". Teak decks look warm and lovely but are practical nightmares.

What do I know?
That's how I feel about the monohulls too. Sleek like a fish. My cat (and others) still look like barges to me.

I was indeed hoping to see people's personal tastes, but people probably don't want to post because someone will come on and say, "that boat is not seaworthy because xxxxxxxxxxxxx." Oh well, maybe it's a failed thread.

I was hoping to see boats on here that look great to the eye, but that nobody would be judged on what they like. Here's another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beauty2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	2836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beauty1.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	2837  

Old 29-02-2008, 04:23   #8

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I love my boat, and as far as cats go she is not very sexy (my wifes words). But she has everything I need to take me where I want to go and let me hang out there indefinetly and comfortably. I like her lines and the cutter rig works well. May not win the beauty contest, but she is coming home with me .

Similar to the RV comment, a corvette is a sexy car, but I don't want to go cross country and sleep in it.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 05:06   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sulli,

I know what you mean by cats being ugly. This boat is SO UGLY only an owner could LOVE her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imagine bows.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	2838  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 05:19   #10

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
Just a littttlllle red !!!! pretty boat
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 05:26   #11

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hey Imagine

Your boat might not be the most beautiful, but it sure looks nice , and with a big boat like that I bet you could get a lot of sexy gorgeous ladies to go sailing with you .
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 05:33   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
One gorgeous lady is plenty enough for me, and sometimes I am even challenged with that #
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gtown Mel.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	2841  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 06:42   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think we can all agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	small DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	3887
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	2843  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 06:57   #14

Beauty is subjective. We all choose what we deem beautiful for a multitude of reasons.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 07:01   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Beauty is subjective. We all choose what we deem beautiful for a multitude of reasons.
Which is exactly why I hoped to see a wide variety of different boats and tastes.

Ok... if we're showing off our wives... pics to come after mine visits next week.