Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 22:49   #1

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
Thumbs down Bloody disgracefull behavior!

Well i sailed into the shack at double bay here just north of airlie beach just to find it is just like a visit to the local dump. behind the shack in the bush is an area about 20m in diameter which is just all rubbish incuding broken bottles etc. it is piled about a foot high. Around the shack is also littered with rubbish. only last week i heard peple complaining in the yacht club here that there is talk about taring it down and to be honest i think it is the best thing that could happen as obviously the local boating comunity has no respect for the environment. it is only possible to get to by boat and is mainly used by yachties. So we can mainly blame our own. it was my first time there as i have heard so many people talking about it but i will not bother returning just to see the destuction of our environment. Which brings me to the question. Just why do people leave all their rubbish behind when they know there is no one else to collect it???????
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 00:34   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69
Which brings me to the question. Just why do people leave all their rubbish behind when they know there is no one else to collect it???????
Irresponsible lazyness!

"The lazy man is brother to the saboteur"
Somewhere in proverbs
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:29   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Outrageous behaviour, I hope the fresh water supply is still OK.

When we stumbled on this place abot 7 years ago I alway's thought it was good that it was far enough away not to get vandalised .

Like most good spot's on the coast, they have been slowly getting destroyed by vandal's. eg: old lighthouses, it seem's the dickhead's now have boat's.

What a shame.

Dave
Old 02-06-2007, 08:56   #4

This is a world-wide forum: what the hell are you talking about?
Old 02-06-2007, 15:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJeff
This is a world-wide forum: what the hell are you talking about?
Pretty self explanatory I think, vandal's and rubbish dumper's on boat's giving the nice guy's a bad name .

The areas we have mentioned are on the Qld coast in Oz, the shack is nth of Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays

Dave
Old 02-06-2007, 16:04   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Disgusting. One of the things about our species that can get me royally depressed. While the inside of my car, and sometimes my house, even (rarely) my boat, may resemble a trash heap, it is within the confines and my responsibility to clean up, recycle, reuse.

This does bring up, though, a question that has had me wondering at times, as we get our planning done for the long cruise. How do people manage the trash? Organics (including food and human waste), I understand. But, the trash? The papers, plastics, cans, bottles, cardboard, general detritus of packaging, mostly. We can (and do) try our best to minimize this stuff in the first place, but there's just no escaping all of it. What is the responsible way to deal with it when cruising?

I just can't see myself throwing it overboard, just like I wouldn't litter from my car. I've heard the arguments about it all breaking down in seawater, but I just don't think I could do it. Even if I could be intellectually convinced, I wouldn't want to put up with my mother's voice-in-my-head reading me the Riot Act over it.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 16:14   #7

It's illegal to dump plastic overboard anywhere. It doesn't break down. The simple rule is - if you had the space on board to bring the rubbish out with you, you have the space to bring it back home, and dispose of it correctly.

On the boat I am building there are 2 large dedicated lockers for garbage. They were designed purely for the purpose of avoiding littering.

In reference to the rubbish left at "the shack" - it's a symptom of so called "civilization" - we expect someone to clean up after us - go to a football ground after a game, or after a concert - tonnes of garbage just dropped - people assume someone else will clean up. They seem to think it applies everywhere.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 16:44   #8

I don't think it is illegal to dump rubbish anywhere.eg.

U.S. military recently caught dumping rubish from ship's in Australian water's, but apparently that's OK
US warship dumped rubbish, says resident. 31 January 2006. Sunshine Coast News

Cruise ship's often do it

Large ship's do it, look at the rubbish on most Island's at high water mark.

I have read of boat's who have sailed into exotic lacation's and disposed of rubbish only to see being dumped into the lagoon later that day.

In Vanuatu on my last trip, on our way to Port Vila we asked the Ni-Van crew to tidy the boat up.

An hour later when we tied up I asked where 2 week's worth of rubbish was. It had gone over the side, and seemed like a normal thing for them to do.

Like 44 ft CC i'll have 2 dedicated rubbish locker's but won't be suprised if it get's disposed of incorectly after putting it ashore.

Dave
Old 02-06-2007, 16:47   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Oh, I completely agree. Same rule when hiking: pack it in, pack it out. What I'm wondering, though, is if people have come up with creative ideas for managing it while underway. We have systems for power, water, cooking, communications, keeping comfortable, navigation, etc., etc., but I rarely see any discussion on waste management.

For example, trash compactors are fairly common in homes and, at least where I live, recycling is well organized, systematic, and easy. When we made the shift many years ago to aggressive recycling, we found that it cut our trash volume by at least 50 to 60%, if not more. But, in the final analysis, both still involve me giving it to someone else. Most places don't have that sort of system, though. Trash compactors probably use a fair bit of electricity. Any good manual ones? I've run across only one and I sort of doubt that it compacts it all that much.

If you've got two lockers dedicated to waste management, I would guess that you've given quite a bit of thought to it.

I'd like to hear more.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 16:49   #10

Dave there are specified distances from shore where dumping of certain types of rubbish is permitted. But plastic cannot legally be dumped at sea, full stop.
Old 02-06-2007, 17:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Dave there are specified distances from shore where dumping of certain types of rubbish is permitted. But plastic cannot legally be dumped at sea, full stop.

In Australia, or in the world?

Dave
Old 02-06-2007, 17:30   #12

AFAIK it applies to the whole planet. Unfortunately it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it just means it's illegal.
Old 02-06-2007, 17:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter
If you've got two lockers dedicated to waste management, I would guess that you've given quite a bit of thought to it.

I'd like to hear more.

ID
I'd like to claim credit for thinking about it, but it is how bob Oram designed it. There are two self-draining deck lockers well aft, where hopefully any smells will not drift into the boat, which can easily be accessed from the dinghy, and they are intended to be used for garbage stowage. The front half of them is used for stowing other possibly smelly items such as fuel jerry cans, etc.
Old 02-06-2007, 17:58   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
MARPOL Annex V restricts the discharge of vessel generated garbage to the following:
Plastic Disposal prohibited into any waters The discharge of all garbage is prohibited in the navigable waters of the United States and, in all waters, within three nautical miles of the nearest land. Dunnage, lining, and packing materials that float Disposal prohibited less than 25 miles from nearest land and in U. S. Navigable Waters Unground Garbage Disposal prohibited less than 12 miles from nearest land and in U.S. Navigable waters Garbage ground to less than one inch Disposal prohibited less than 3 miles from nearest land and in U.S. Navigable Waters
U.S. vessels 26 feet or more in length must display a placard to make those on board aware of the above listed information. U.S. vessels 40 feet or larger, and which operate beyond three miles, and have a galley and berthing, or engage in commerce, must have a waste management plan posted and keep records of garbage discharges and disposals. A person who violates any of the above requirements is liable for a civil penalty of up to $25,000, a fine of up to $50,000, and imprisonment for up to five years for each violation. Note that regional, state, and local restrictions on garbage restrictions also may apply.

Are we having fun yet??
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 18:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
AFAIK it applies to the whole planet. Unfortunately it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it just means it's illegal.
Not trying to get into an argument, and I agree, it should'nt happen, but is an actual law.?

Dave