Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 10:17   #1

Bitcoin . . . A Cruisers' Currency ?

The Bitcoin concept has me interested! It seems that one could have multiple mining rigs setup on land making income for you while you were out and about cruising. The main problem would be the initial investment and the fact that bitcoin isn't accepted as a "standard" currency. I think the benefits of bitcoin would be great, especially for cruisers. It's a P2P currency so there is no need for a bank or middle man to make transactions.

I don't really see Bitcoin going anywhere, but it's an interesting concept. Have any of you geeky types looked into bitcoin at all?

Here's more info! Bitcoin P2P Virtual Currency
Old 18-07-2011, 10:36   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Bitcoin . . . A Cruisers' Currency ?

Sounds an awful lot like the old vendor tokens of years past--such as what one would spend in company stores, brothels, speakeasies, etc.
Old 18-07-2011, 10:42   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

If you can use it to pay Bribes then its a great idea!

"My Friend, do you have a present for my family?"
"YES my beloved new Brother! One Million Dollars in Bitcoins!"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-07-2011, 11:04   #4

LOL, you guys went straight to bribes and brothels quick! If this is what cruising is about, I want IN!
Old 19-02-2014, 12:00   #5

Thought I should necro this thread since a lot has changed in the bitcoin world since this was posted.

So who out there has figured out bitcoin and is it starting to take foot in the cruiser community?
Old 19-02-2014, 12:08   #6

Well, one bitcoin was worth about $1200 in December, and now it's worth $620.

It's been a rough year for bitcoin, though lots of people still believe in it.
Old 19-02-2014, 12:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Well, one bitcoin was worth about $1200 in December, and now it's worth $620.

It's been a rough year for bitcoin, though lots of people still believe in it.
What do you mean a rough year? Exactly a year ago it was trading for less than $10. How is going from $10 to $620 rough? I went from not being able to ever afford a yacht in my lifetime to yacht shopping in one year!
Old 19-02-2014, 12:25   #8

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44

Not really what I thought my first post on CF would be but my take is. You could mine but it's not very profitable. Your better off buying BTC thru a site like coinbase. You certainly can do a lot of BTC and Alt coin trading. I use MCXNOW which is a great site. Don't know if the IRS ever figures out how to treat it but you can make some good gains there and move BTC back to $ with coinbase.

As for a rough year, I think he means just the YTD year to day. which is rough. but a one year chart is very good.

My 2 cents..

Chasing the Dream in 5 yrs.
Old 19-02-2014, 12:32   #9

Hi zerompg, thanks for the reply. I've got my coins so I'm not interested in mining or how to acquire. I'm more interested if people are starting to see it being accepted at their destinations. And if there are any big boat brokers out there that accept it as payment, that would interest me too!
Old 19-02-2014, 12:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateBooty View Post
What do you mean a rough year? Exactly a year ago it was trading for less than $10. How is going from $10 to $620 rough? I went from not being able to ever afford a yacht in my lifetime to yacht shopping in one year!
Apparently, you scored big... congratulations. The folks who bought at $1000+ aren't too happy, probably.

Like most people, I don't completely get BitCoin, other than that some people think they're worth something... Feels a little like the Dutch Tulip mania.
Old 19-02-2014, 12:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Apparently, you scored big... congratulations. The folks who bought at $1000+ aren't too happy, probably.

Like most people, I don't completely get BitCoin, other than that some people think they're worth something... Feels a little like the Dutch Tulip mania.
As a firm believer in the currency, I believe those people who bought at 1000+ will get their money back. But I'm not really here to sell anyone on it, plenty of people out there doing that already.

I'm interested in whether people are starting to see it accepted at their destinations.
Old 19-02-2014, 13:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateBooty View Post
What I meant was that going from $1200 to $620 (this year) was probably pretty rough. The CEO of BitInstant, one of the primary traders of Bitcoin, was arrested two weeks ago for money laundering.

Speculation, like gambling, makes winners and losers. If you acquired some earlier and can sell at a great profit, congratulations. It may even still be a good bet, given people's never-ending quest to get something for nothing, but I'm guessing there will be a little more caution there now.
Old 19-02-2014, 13:20   #13

I was at the boat show yesterday and no one was taking bitcoins that I could see.

You never know those tulip bulbs may come back one day.
Old 19-02-2014, 13:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
What I meant was that going from $1200 to $620 (this year) was probably pretty rough. The CEO of BitInstant, one of the primary traders of Bitcoin, was arrested two weeks ago for money laundering.

Speculation, like gambling, makes winners and losers. If you acquired some earlier and can sell at a great profit, congratulations. It may even still be a good bet, given people's never-ending quest to get something for nothing, but I'm guessing there will be a little more caution there now.
Can you quantify how the CEO of BitInstant is "one of the primary traders of bitcoin"? I'm always trying to learn something new.
Old 19-02-2014, 13:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I was at the boat show yesterday and no one was taking bitcoins that I could see.
Thanks for the actual feedback!
Closed Thread