Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17   #46

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Biggest lie told by a broker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Had brokers at Seahorse marine in fl not even present my more than fair offers to the customer. They lied about it , they just tried to get more money , I walked. Had a second boat i was just as interested in. The owner was so confused that i walked when we were so close in price he found my home number and called me himself. When i explained my offer was more than fair and top of my budget he said they had only said i was thinking of making an offer. He said he will fire the broker give them their split out if their own pocket and sell to me at my first offer. I said sorry already have a contract signed on boat number2 here it is almost a year later and his is still for sale at guess what, less than i originally offered.
That is a post worth repeating.... Why do folks not learn?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39   #47

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Everything happens for a reason and I think were much happier with the boat we got
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50   #48

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

"That won't be a problem, I'll take care of it."
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34   #49

Boat: Pearson 34-II

A couple of observations:

Why do you need a broker to sell a boat? Whether it is a clean, well found boat or a project boat, who better than you has the ability to say "yes" or "no" to an offer. You can qualify the person on the phone, send him a pre-prepared package of photos,be honest in describing the boat and its equipment and if price is mentioned, be honest about how much room you have to negotiate. Then, you have covered all your bases and if he wants to take it to the next step, show your boat. The only exception when you might need a broker is when a boat is a considerable distance from where you live. Honesty, is the key word.
Secondly, demonizing brokers or car salesmen really says two things about you:
1.) You don't have the ability to make an informed decision/purchase using your own intelligence and that of others(surveyors,friends,Cruisersforum) so don't blame me! . . . it's the evil Capitalist who wants to screw me and, 2.) In your opinion,sales do not represent the meeting of minds between a buyer and a seller, but a twisted Capitalist plot to sell me a bad product for a lot of money. He's not providing a service and being paid for doing so, but rather has rape, pillage and plunder of the severest degree in mind.
Finally, to answer the OP's question: This boat is ready to cruise. Just go!
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
A couple of observations:
Why do you need a broker to sell a boat?

Secondly, demonizing brokers or car salesmen really says two things about you:...
Absolutely agree with your first question, but not the latter.

The free market is the best method of exchange known to man. Others interfering with the process of buying and selling hinder the free market.

Government, or a broker... An interloper in the process serves only to hinder free trade.

People hire buyers brokers because they lack time, knowledge, or initiative to do the work themselves. The problem is that the brokers often hinder the sale through greed, sloth, or incompentance.

Quote:
....In your opinion,sales do not represent the meeting of minds between a buyer and a seller, but a twisted Capitalist plot to sell me a bad product for a lot of money. He's not providing a service and being paid for doing so, but rather has rape, pillage and plunder....
No twisted plot required, just object to a third party (or 4th!) placed between buyer and seller....

Based on your first sentence I think we agree more then we disagree, I just see brokers in a more negative light based on my experiences (helping others find and buy boats).
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09   #51

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"No twisted plot required, just object to a third party (or 4th!) placed between buyer and seller...." S/V Faith

S/V Faith,
I hope my attempted humor was obvious . . . but really, I believe many people live in a "don't blame me" world where personal responsibility is not part of their picture. I can assure you there are just as many unscrupulous accountants, garbagemen, plumbers, municipal workers as there are salesman. Personal integrity is the key and it is a disappearing trait in all walks of life. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33   #52

Boat: Leopard 48 or 58????

This boat is perfect for you......
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47   #53

Thumbs up Re: Biggest lie told by a broker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"No twisted plot required, just object to a third party (or 4th!) placed between buyer and seller...." S/V Faith

S/V Faith,
I hope my attempted humor was obvious . . . but really, I believe many people live in a "don't blame me" world....

..... Personal integrity is the key and it is a disappearing trait in all walks of life. Good luck and good sailing.
agreed.

Peace and fair winds,
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00   #54

Thinking back.. my biggest complaint about Brokers hasnt been so much lies... more a lack of interest, lack of knowledge about the particular boat etc. If anything, they seem the opposite of a used car sales man... dont seem to know how to get a prospective buyer involved in "furthering the discussion". I've had times with no contact back at all after asking a question, or asked a number of questions and got one short phrase back like "owner says engine was new in 2009".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 13:12   #55

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Not sure if this was actually a lie, but I walked anyway...

According to the broker: The US owner didn't have the title paperwork, but (owner) said that was the USCG's fault. The boat was docked in Canada because of that USCG title problem. I'll (meaning me) only have to write the USCG and claim title after I buy. As the new owner, I could easily cut through all that Red Tape because all that really mattered was the Bill of Sale that the owner would sign. No problem!

Uh huh. Sure.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 13:25   #56

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I see more ignorance in these stories than lies. All the brokers I've spoken too have been very honest with me, though some clearly understood very little about sailboats - or even boats in general.

Since then I've looked for brokers who have clear sailing backgrounds or specialization.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 14:01   #57

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

"You'll have no trouble finding dock space for your catamaran."

(I actually heard our broker telling this to another potential customer AFTER we had received our boat and sailed it for several months.)
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Names, people! We need names! The entire value of a forum like this one comes from the sharing of information. So share!

Even if you don't want to bad-mouth someone in public, at least those who have had good experiences should be willing to publicly acknowledge the good brokers.
Ian McIllroy of Berthon International. He's sold 2 boats for me; a pleasure to do business.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01   #59

Boat: Privilege 37

I made a bid on a boat in Florida subject to a confirming visit. I had already had the results of an inspection by a friend. There were a number of areas that dragged the value down, and I did not want to go to the expense of a transatlantic flight unless the owner was willing to compromise.

I was told not just no but hell no at that price (by the broker)

Three months later the boat sold to someone else at less than I had offered.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

"cruise ready. in perfect condition. engine is in good shape and runs well...."

went to survey for someone interested in a vagabond 47 only to find a sanded down rotted mess inside and out with a non functioning engine....said owner wants 150,000usd for the boat that was worthy of mebbe 40k, or less....lol...gotta love brokers...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote