Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 11:37   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Betcha next boat for sale missing price or pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
not really,,you could post were you are and how long you expect to be there and were you will be moving it to,,sellers want to know,,,
Or the buyers could say where they are and there heading - and after a week or 2 the Vendor could then say whether they are getting warmer or colder
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 13:55   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
not really,,you could post were you are and how long you expect to be there and were you will be moving it to,,sellers want to know,,,
Having a plan violates one the fundamental rules of cruising.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 14:06   #18

Boat: Custom

For me it's the close up photos of everything from the keel bolt to the matress foam to the head with no wide shots to put it in context & the "3 spacious berths" and not a single photo of the berths!

Brokers do my head in, never met one I felt comfortable with.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 14:27   #19

Having spent more than two decades in retailing (as an owner) and an additional decade in Real Estate, I can say that a picture is worth a thousand and six words (don't want to plagarize) and there is no substitute for the truth. Hey, it was successful! Anyone need a Yacht Sales Agent??
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 14:58   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Angry Re: Betcha next boat for sale missing price or pics?

Quote:
BOB take a chill pill,,,we all know that the next sailboat you buy you will take off the mast, put in a larger engine, add hydrofoils and wings then go waterskiing behind it after getting large fuel tanks and a sky sail,,,so what does it matter what info the add has in it to you,,,,

in trouble with you now
I'm taking my toys and I'm going home. Phhhhhhhhhht
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 15:20   #21

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I'm taking my toys and I'm going home. Phhhhhhhhhht

BOB,,,,,,,that is the biggest hissy fit I have ever read on CF ever,,,

go home nobody want to play with you anymore,,,,

For those of you who do not know BOB is a friend of mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	28894  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 15:29   #22

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Having experienced all and more of the above when dealing with brokers, I have developed a rather low opinion of them.
Some years ago, I tired of the whole dance and never bought or sold a boat through a broker again.
I periodically ran a test on whether the brokerage game had changed by ringing up a couple in response to their adverts and asked them to send me details on selected boats in their inventory. About 50-60% replied, although this was in the day when snail mail was the preferred method of communication. With photos and description in hand, I checked out a few in my spare time if they were in the area. Almost universally, I found both the description and the photos to grossly overstate the vessel condition and equipment aboard.
I lived aboard and was in the delivery business, much of which I got through referrals from brokers who had sold to clients who wanted their new purchase moved to a new location, so I had to be somewhat circumspect about letting them know how I felt about what I considered a deception. However, I knew some of of the principals in the brokerage business and dropped a couple of hints which went nowhere.
Because of our business relationship, I didn't pursue the issue but as I'm retired now, I regularly call folks if I feel they are not dealing on the up and up.
While it gives us all some satisfaction venting on forums like CF, winjing won't cause folks in the business to change. A direct approach, with evidence in hand, will help brokers realize there is a need to improve their image and honesty.
Just sayin'.. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 15:57   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Hey, I want to put a sail on this. Is this doable?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1917456
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 15:57   #24

BTW, hire a competent marine surveyor to do an inspection before you buy. Any yacht broker or agent should recommend this!
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Hey, I want to put a sail on this. Is this doable?
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

One of those new submarine sailboats BOB (Friend of Mine) Will give you a wonderful view of the bottome and help keep you warm in the winter.,,,why don't you take out your dingy and think about it for awhile
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cap-1024x734.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	28895   Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing-tips-sunkyacht.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	28896  

Old 23-06-2011, 16:07   #26

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

The problem's not unique to boats, not by a long shot.

Car salesmen do it. ("Low mileage Suzuki hatchback, clean, cert/etest"- it had 150+k on it, half the dashboard ripped up and a hundred feet of loose power and speaker wire everywhere. Looked great in the single 320x240px cellphone photo, though.)

House brokers do it. ("Charming three-bedroom, large yard, cozy living room with traditional wood stove....", it was 40 feet from a freight train line, the addition was collapsing, and the headroom around that 600 pound smoke-belcher was only 5'10".)

Boat sellers have got to be among the worst, though. C'mon guys. Bandwidth is virtually free, the data centre that hosts your site pays about $0.01/GB for it, so make those tiny photos clickable to full-screen versions. You're taking a commission of $40,000 on that half-million-dollar yacht. Buy some good photo lights and take a photography course, or hire a student who knows how. Straighten out the pillows, hide the garbage, and power-wash the hull. Check the hour meters. Give us a photo of the stuffing box, the sea strainer, the back of the DC panel. Have one of your lackeys lie down in the V-berth to give us a sense of scale. And so on, and so forth.
Old 23-06-2011, 16:18   #27

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Great advice, marshmat... CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:19   #28

Bob you are probably going to be looking at one of those new car boats next,,something like this maybe,,,wonder what the add looked like,,,"car, custom paint, custom sun roof, good and cold AC,,, can be used during high water rainy season,, make offer,,will pass your expectations, good lake vehicle,,,"

might want to have plans draw-en up for a sail,,,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image2409.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	28899  
Old 23-06-2011, 16:24   #29

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

As a seller, you'll have to deal with 100 looky kou's before you get one serious person. I'm sure brokers have to also deal with this. I always try to sell things cars, houses, boats, motorcycles, ... by word of mouth so I don't have to deal with the looky lou's. When I boat shop, I make the first visit short, if I get interested, I'll come back and the broker will usually give me free run, my last boat I had free run for 2 days, never seeing the broker. When we decided to buy, I asked him to get it cleaned out and he complied. Dirty dishes and full larders are not a deal stopper for me, but I understand people today want instant gradification...sad really.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:26   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
The problem's not unique to boats, not by a long shot.

Car salesmen do it. ("Low mileage Suzuki hatchback, clean, cert/etest"- it had 150+k on it, half the dashboard ripped up and a hundred feet of loose power and speaker wire everywhere. Looked great in the single 320x240px cellphone photo, though.)
"Back in the day" when I ran a used car department, when we got cars in that we would display in what we called "death row", we would advertise them without much embellishment.
E.G. 1994 F-150 ex-fleet truck. Normal options, automatic, 5.0 engine. Reasonable body and mechanics. Inspections welcome. Asking $xxxx.00
So, this ex-work truck, which we did not much more then a required safety inspection, oil change and a wash would sit there. It would be attractively priced, and the phone rang off the hook.

The funny part is invariably the people who would buy it would not get it mechanically inspected.

We always felt that if you offer the inspections, people think that we had nothing to hide, and just purchased it "as is".

We never made any promises as to suitability to purpose or mechanical condition... in fact, just the opposite. If we knew it needed an alignment, we would advise the client, but also advised we had already taken that into consideration in the price.

Those vehicles never sat around long. There was no need to spin or to deceive... they were what they were. The buyers got a reasonable vehicile at a good price. Clean oil, shiny tires, armor -all'ed interior and clean exterior, even if it had some rust was the secret.

Interesting was that often they would come back in trade and the buyer would tell us how great a vehicle it was, and how little they had to spend.

Human nature is funny.

Tags
sale