Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2006, 18:51   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Bermuda Triangle: Fact or Fiction

Just finished watching a Sci-fi network mini-series on the Bermuda Triangle. Really a fantastical US Gov't conspiracy story about the US Navy creating the "Triangle" during their "Philadelphia Experiment" during the Second World War.

So what's your opinion of the Bermuda Triangle, fact or fiction? Ever experienced any weird phenomenon while at sea in the "Triangle" or elsewhere?

Bermuda Triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 19:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Oh Damn... Is Lori off on one of her Trips Rick????? }: >
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 19:09   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
"The Truth Is Out There." Fox Mulder
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 19:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

aren't we suppose to get special notifications?
Old 17-12-2006, 19:20   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
So many "wants", so little reason

I've never ceased to be amazed at the range of superstitious beliefs expressed by supposed very intelligent and educated people who are quite capable of thinking critically...EXCEPT when it comes to their personal ghosts. One great example is to examine the intelligent and misdirected pilots of the 9/11 aircraft who were willing to gamble their (and other) lives for such superstitions (religious beliefs can be classified as superstition.....oooops, not YOU of course!).
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 19:31   #6
cruiser

I'm going for fiction, but with a possible cause for the large number of lost vessels, planes, etc...

My reasoning is that it's a heavily traveled area with many boats and planes in it. So... a higher number of craft would go missing if there were more craft out there to begin with.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2006, 22:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I'm going for fiction, but with a possible cause for the large number of lost vessels, planes, etc...

My reasoning is that it's a heavily traveled area with many boats and planes in it. So... a higher number of craft would go missing if there were more craft out there to begin with.
When the Bermuda Triangle story was really popular in the 1970's, it was common to see lists of all these ships and airplanes that "disappeared in the bermuda triangle". A skeptic who investigated discovered that many of the cited incidents took place well outside the commonly accepted definition of the bermuda triangle.

A few examples from memory of a book I read a long time ago: The ship that was found with dinner on the table but nobody on board was between Portugal and the Azores. Flight 19 was lost, but hardly in unusual circumstances and they went down at about the time they were expected to run out of fuel. Other ships "lost in the bermuda triangle" were off the coast of Nova Scotia, near Norway, or even in the Pacific Ocean.

So, not to be too blunt, but: It's easy to prove the Bermuda Triangle exists -- all you have to do is LIE.

On the other hand, the area of Cape Hatteras in North Carolina in the US has a fairly reasonable claim to the name "Graveyard of the Atlantic". A map of known shipwrecks in that region looks like a dotted line along the coast. There is no mystery there, though -- the shoreline is a barrier island that stands a few meters above sea level, and behind the island is several more miles of water. If you're on a square rigged sailing ship, and your last longitude fix was at Falmouth, England, you could easily be aground before you saw the land.

But that won't get you a miniseries.

Quote:
Ever experienced any weird phenomenon while at sea in the "Triangle" or elsewhere?
No.
Old 18-12-2006, 18:54   #8

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
No...I've been home for a week now. Had to promise no more travel for a couple of months...

Quote:
aren't we suppose to get special notifications?
I'll try! Don't always have enough warning myself. When that happens you're on your own!

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 19:24   #9

Heavy traffic + hurricanes + a lot of fiction. Adds up to the "devil's triangle"

It's amusing that an alleged experiment in world war 2 is supposed to be responsible for ships being lost over a hundred years ago....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 20:50   #10
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz
"The Truth Is Out There." Fox Mulder
Sadly those who believe in this nonsense are even further out there than dear old Fox.

Ya gotta love this kind of stuff though. It's like the poor souls who are supposedly abducted by aliens and then of course there's crop circles. Let's be reasonable, why on earth (or on a galaxy far far away) would any self respecting alien who has the technology to travel all those light years from there to here do so in order to..

a. shag some brain dead good ol' boy from Tennessee.

and/or

b. draw doodles in crops of wheat.

Then again, there's plenty of seemingly intelligent souls all over this planet who each year celebrate the birth of a child to a supposed virgin courtesy of a remote control insemination (cloud seeding ?) from on high. Throw in Santy Claws and his amazing levitating reindeer.......enough he cried, tis madness from go to whoa.
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 21:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Sorry TDW, but that last part was uncalled for.

Like coot, I too had read the same or similar article about where the real ship sinkings took place. They may as well have been of the coast on NZ they had the much relevance to the location od the "triangle". Even that flight 19 has now been well proven as to what probably did take place, why and where the aircraft may now actually lye. And I think it has been determined that they are well out of the "triangle" as well.
I do know of one incident though. The barge that got cuaght in a gas dishcarge from the sea floor and literaly sunk before the eyes of the crew on the towing vessel. The airated water could not support the displacment and the barge just sunk. Once again hardly a dodododo-dodododo kinda moment.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 22:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Damn Alan... is "dodododo-dodododo" a Kiwi technical term? :::running and ducking:::
Old 18-12-2006, 22:12   #13
tdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Sorry TDW, but that last part was uncalled for. .
Oh all right , yes it was tasteless. People really get sensitive when it comes to Reindeer. I have know idea why but in future.......(ducks for cover).

Sorry Wheels. Won't happen again....this year.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah well, next you'll be saying I wasted my money ringing the North Pole to speak to Santa. ;-) I just won't put up with that hearisy. ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 14:25   #15
tdw

Quote:
Damn Alan... is "dodododo-dodododo" a Kiwi technical term? :::running and ducking:::
But damned evocative. What a fabulous show that was.

Tags
Bermuda