Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 01:17   #16

I forgot to mention this on my last post.

This also applies to those who drives up to a drive up window to McDonald's or Wendy's, on a almost daily basis.

Living a active life. Where you are walking alot. Or at least put in 30 minutes of exercise a day will greatly improve your health. Than those who don't. And most doctor's will tell you this.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 00:59   #17

Boat: PEARSON 422
Wink

you canadiens should be careful about how you make fun of u.s. citizens. the only reason we have not made your whole country one northern u.s. state is because we have not run out of wood.
Old 14-06-2006, 03:30   #18

Well duh...Canadinans get more exercise shoveling that white crap all winther
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 06:52   #19
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Canadian Invasion? An Irish Fenian army crossed into Canada from Buffalo in June of 1866 to pressure England to get out of Ireland, but to my knowledge we always considered Canada too cold to invade (grin). We tried it during the French and Indian War in the 1750's and it was a disaster.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 04:02   #20

Boat: PEARSON 422
no offense taken. it is all in jest and good humor. i am just bored at work and entertaining myself. i have respect for canadiens. anyone that can survive those long cold winters is tough. i turn into a whimpering ninny when it gets below 70.
Old 15-06-2006, 07:34   #21

Boat: Morgan 382 "Tropical Wave"
This is an intersting discussion, expecially since the Admiral has spent about 50% of her time in the USA on business in the past 3 months. Now she is a bit of a health freak, walks 25 minutes to work every day, etc, but she made the following 3 observations about business travel in the USA (and we in canada are not perfect by any means):

1) you can't walk anywhere. She was told by hotel staff in Mclean Va that it wasn't safe to walk to the mall (not sure if "safe" meant she would get mugged or run over by cars since there is no sidewalk). On most main streets there are no sidewalks, or if there are sidewalks, the all of a sudden end, leaving the pedestrians to fend for themselves against traffic.

2) A normal meal in a restaurant will feed 2-3 people

3) You can't get vegatables in a restaurant (and deep-fried potatoes don't count). She is not vegitarian, but doesn' eat red meat, and it is very very difficult to find anything beyond steak & potatoes or burgers or pasta smothered in cheese.

Just observations, but maybe symptomatic of the problems caused by our modern (US AND Canadian) society

John
chuckiebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 07:50   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
There has been an interesting series running on "Ideas" the past few weeks that is about "Organic food", however it touches on all aspects of our food industry. It is amazing how much of North American health problems are caused/exacerbated by government legislation. The other thing is that the least healthy foods in the supermarket are the cheapest, the most healthy are the most expensive.

Deep.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 16:14   #23

Boat: C&C 27
Well it is probably true that eating properly today is difficult, especially if you choose, or are forced to eat out. I can say that as a vegetarian I manage to find something to eat at most restaurants that I visit. I generally do not eat at chain restaurants and never at fast food. Surprisingly bar-b-que restaurants can be quite good just as long as you don't eat the bar-b-que.

The wife is in medicine and frankly we have some great medicine going on here in the states, especially in cancer. I guess if you break something you have to fix it. Anyway as a whole we are upside down in terms of healthcare outcomes vs. cost per capita as compared to the rest of the industrialized world. But hey, this is about making money, if you are in this for compassion you have to head for Bhutan.

We have friends that have been cruising for a really long time with no healthcare and no sickness. They are outside working the boat most of the time and eat whole foods because that is what they can buy in the local markets. You are what you eat.

Finally I know some pretty nice Canadians (a benefit of owning a C&C). In fact I would not mind living up there if I didn't have to pull the boat out of the water for several months of the year. So can you guys go ahead and take over Cuba? That might solve my whole dilemma.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 09:38   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Did you say pull the boat out for a "couple of months"?

Guess why my nickname is DeepFrz...<gr>

4 months reasonable weather, 4 months tough sledding, 4 months forget about it...

By the way, I loved Cuba...

Deep
Old 17-06-2006, 09:54   #25

Boat: Sceptre 41
I agree on u Canuks taking over Cuba. Then us yanks can go visit the island legally. No reason to go "Canadian Bacon" on them. Just buy up the little island over the next 10 to 15 years. The way things are going for Bush these days he might even give you Gitmo.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 10:11   #26
Kai Nui

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckiebits

2) A normal meal in a restaurant will feed 2-3 people
You hit the nail on the head here. When I pay $20 for a meal, I really do not want to throw half of it away, but it seems the "Super Size" craze is everywhere here. Somehow, 2 pounds of food for every meal seems a bit unreasonable to me. I travel allot for work, and am stuck eating restaraunt food much of the time. The quality of the food is OK, and even the health content of the food is reasonable, but the serving size is outrageous. Unfortunately, when we are trained that this is a normal portion, it is easy to get into the habit of preparing these same size portions at home.
Old 17-06-2006, 10:13   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And here I thought I had IED! So it's okay to eat more beans then...

And I don't want to take over Cuba! I'd just like to visit there more often (Lots of Canadian condos in Cuba). Besides I don't think Bush would give Canada anything more than a razzberry. Unless of course we hold back the oil...<yikes> then maybe Bush would give us an all expense paid visit to Gitmo...

I better watch what I say here so I don't get arrested for "radical thinking".
Old 17-06-2006, 10:19   #28
Kai Nui

Do you really think Gearge knows where Canada is?
Old 17-06-2006, 10:47   #29
Kai Nui

Must have been his speach writers. I do not think he can count that high on his own (Truly said tongue and cheek, so Bush supporters, don't get mad at me)
Old 17-06-2006, 10:56   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Course, that only means that his pilot knew how to get here. Although he may have homed in on that "secret" radio transmitter in the U.S. embassy that had all the garage doors in Ottawa going up and down...<G>