Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2009, 17:38   #16

Boat: catalina 1985 30 -Hello over there
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilgeRat View Post
He'll be just like any other politician! You won't be able to trust him with your money or property.

Those who WANT to lead are full of greed!
unfortunately i think bilge Rat is right

Plus with all the high hopes that everyone has what happens if he doesn't
meet everyones expectations.
this is not a question just a statement.
Old 20-01-2009, 17:49   #17

This is neither the time nor the place for cynicism and tired conspiracy theories. On this board we should at least mark the day with reference to our love of the sea.

There's nothing like a Scotsman (Sean Connery) on the bridge of a mythical Russian submarine to have the right thoughts for today:

Captain Ramius: "... and the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home." Christopher Columbus.

Jack Ryan
: Welcome to the New World, Captain.

And even more eloquently, Jack Kennedy spoke in 1962 in Newport RI:

I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it's because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it's because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea -- whether it is to sail or to watch it -- we are going back from whence we came.

Now. I propose that we have a responsibility on this board. Everyone seems quite concerned as to what kind of dog the Obama's should get. I was encouraged that the Portuguese Waterdog is a leading candidate - a fine sea dog..

I propose that this board should offer up suggestions for an appropriate sailboat. Should it be a classic daysailer like JFK's "Ventura", a schooner like Ted Kennedy's "Mya", or perhaps a fast trimaran in honor of Barrack's Hawaiian childhood? Come on folks. The man needs a sailboat.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victrura.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mya_Ted.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	6843  

Old 20-01-2009, 18:01   #18

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice30 View Post
unfortunately i think bilge Rat is right

Plus with all the high hopes that everyone has what happens if he doesn't
meet everyones expectations.
this is not a question just a statement.
Like Obama said in his speech,

"For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies."

WE have to do it. WE have to get involved. WE have to change. Don't just sit there. Use the power of your vote, and your words to force change. If he doesn't work out, vote him out. I know many people that bitch and bitch about Gov't, and politicians, and they have never, ever voted for anyone.

https://lat43north.blogspot.com
Old 20-01-2009, 18:19   #19

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I propose that this board should offer up suggestions for an appropriate sailboat. Should it be a classic daysailer like JFK's "Ventura", a schooner like Ted Kennedy's "Mya", or perhaps a fast trimaran in honor of Barrack's Hawaiian childhood? Come on folks. The man needs a sailboat.

Carl
Obama is more of a J-boat guy. Lean, modern, quick, not a lot of flash, but means business.

https://lat43north.blogspot.com
Old 20-01-2009, 18:31   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
The picture of JFK brings back memories. During the Cuban crisis I was posted with the RCAF to Keesler AFB at Biloxi Miss. I was there when James Merrideth was the first black to go to Ole Miss. I was on the paddlewheel dinner cruise out of New Orleans when the governor of Miss. was there. The band played Dixie and everyone stood at attention. I mean even we Canucks...(what, do I look stupid or something)...heh

So the change is outstanding already. However the world is in deep doodoo and how much of that will change over the next 4 to 8 years is something we will just have to wait to see. I'm hopeful that President Obama will start moving things in the right direction. Hopefully it will be enough.
Old 20-01-2009, 18:35   #21

Boat: Cal 34 "Windemere"

I think he already has a boat.
Old 20-01-2009, 18:44   #22
cruiser

Altho he has been left with some major millstones around his neck by the previous administration, it's great to hear people saying to give him some breathing space and not expect him to accomplish everything at once . That message cannot be emphasised enough. What is expected of him, no one could ever hope to accomplish, given the debt and problems he inherits. Give him full credit for whatever he accomplishes in simply changing the direction of political thinking and political momentum in his country. Failure to do so will lead to sliding back into what has just been overturned .
Congratulations
Brent
Old 20-01-2009, 18:59   #23

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
So he doesn't have to accomplish anything - poor guy. Inherited so much baggage.
Funny - to be talking so much about change, his entire cabinet is the old establishment.

Is he really strong enough to get new ideas past them? I hope so. Not holding my breath.
Old 20-01-2009, 19:04   #24

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
I haven't had a good feeling south of the Canadian border in such a long time, but you folks elected such a youthful leader that he inspire a nice warm feeling of hopein me...and I was rooting for McCain....go figure...congratulations
Old 20-01-2009, 19:09   #25

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
In before thread-lock.

Oh, and WOOOOHOOOO! We're due for a great prez. Here's hoping *raises glass*
Old 20-01-2009, 19:11   #26

What kind of boat was Victura? And where can I get a compass like that?
Old 20-01-2009, 19:12   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Wow 10 political posts and the mods aren't in an up roar. I guess change IS in the wind.
The mods discussed this thread after post #1.

We agreed to let it run even though off-topic and political as it is an historic occasion for not only the USA but for the world.

Glad to see the boat references!

Let's keep it friendly, if we can
Old 20-01-2009, 19:27   #28

I googled "Victura" and found a beautiful 26-foot wooden daysailor. Can't be the same boat as pictured with JFK above.

Old 20-01-2009, 19:49   #29

Ah, a little more googling finds "Manitou".

"As one of his first official acts, incoming president Kennedy selected Manitou, the 62-foot Sparkman & Stephens yawl designed in 1936 to replace the 92-foot powerboat that was then the Presidential yacht."

Sail-World.com : JFK's Classic Yawl is up for Sale

JFK +50 points.
Old 20-01-2009, 20:08   #30

Right. That's probably Manitou. Sorry - wrong picture. Victura was a Wiano Senior built by Crosby on Cape Cod. The boats are still very actively raced and Crosby will build you a new one (although in glass these days).

Kennedy got Victura when he was 15 and raced her until his assasination.

Ted's Mya is equally remarkable. He raced her last summer in the Figawi and came in 2nd - with a brain tumor. She's a bear of a schooner. No self tailing winches, wooden blocks, big heavy booms.

During the Democratic Convention they showed a video of him sailing her. Ted was at the helm and clearly in charge. At one point he's instucting some cute 10 year old passengers about the fisherman staysail while his brother-in-law, Senator Chris Dodd, was gamely trying to get the sail up the mast. After Ted announces he's satisifed with the set you hear Dowd off camera asking if Ted now intends to tack.

I still see Barack on a multihull of some sort. Level. Athletic. Room for everyone on deck. And it would certainly have both solar panels and wind generators.

Carl
Closed Thread