Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2009, 06:01   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Congratulations my septic friends. I think its a good day, not because Obama is good or bad, but you get to celebrate being free and democratic.

My view is that he would be a Tri sailor, probably a corsair 31.

Old 22-01-2009, 06:02   #92

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
well I guess obama's people shouldn't quote those figures then, and i'll bet those 2 million people didn't get one bite of that high dollar food either. and I did vote for him. he's just not impressing me the way he's starting out
Ya know, a good friend of mine, who happens to be African American, went down to the inauguration on Monday. Slept in his car, got up at 5 am and got within 100 yards of the podium. I spoke with him yesterday, and he told me it was the happiest, proudest day of his life. Whats that worth to you Santana? Over two MILLION people attended, and had a great time. They didnt expect to get fed. They expected to see the culmination of centuries worth of dreams, and they weren't let down. As for Obama's first day, he seems to be concentrating on restoring the constitution and foreign affairs. He did more yesterday than Bush did in his last 6 months.

As for Biden being a great life insurance policy...Palin insured the Republican campaigns death. Which would ya rather have had?

Oh, sorry... He's gonna open up Cuba again too. There, thats Cruising info...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 22-01-2009, 06:04   #93

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Looking in from the outside, I was not impressed with virtually anything Obama said or did during his campaign, now he is President, I hope the "shine" doesn't wear off too soon. His first day seemed ambitious and well directed and hopefully he can keep it up. If Obama can live up to all the hype the world will certainly be a better place. So far I am beginning to change my tune and think he may have been the better choice, if he gets the chance to fulfill all his ambitions.

Please keep in mind though he is a man, not the 2nd coming.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Old 22-01-2009, 06:15   #94

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post

Please keep in mind though he is a man, not the 2nd coming.
What's with all this 2nd coming stuff? Do you really think that people who express a feeling of hope, and faith that someone will actually become a leader in that white house, believe that he can do it alone, with the sweep of his pen? Give us more credit than that! It's called a positive outlook. You may not recognize it, as it's been absent from us for a while. About 8 yrs I think.

http://lat43north.blogspot.com
Old 22-01-2009, 06:16   #95

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Congratulations my septic friends. .

How many Shermans are going to catch that reference?
Old 22-01-2009, 06:19   #96

[quote=Christian Van H;246567]

As for Biden being a great life insurance policy...Palin insured the Republican campaigns death. Which would ya rather have had?
quote]

With Hillary as Sec of State, Biden is a life insurance policy.

Would you want to be a heartbeat away from Hilary becoming president? She is a very ambitious person.
Old 22-01-2009, 06:23   #97

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The vociferous misrepresentation of the ďestimatedĒ costs of his recent inauguration doesnít bode well for President Barack Obamaís relationship with the right-wing media, and those of the public who accept such blatant propaganda.
Agreed. Like when you're told the media is "right-wing."
Old 22-01-2009, 06:37   #98

"Let them eat cake"
Old 22-01-2009, 06:41   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Agreed. Like when you're told the media is "right-wing."
I don’t mean to characterise the media as right-wing. Obviously, different outlets have different perspectives, biases, editorial positions, and agendas.

I believe that the prime sources of this particular mis-representation of the psuedo-facts have been the conservative (right-wing media, as represented by Fox, MSNBC, Newsmax et al) - tho’ the issue his been woefully under-researched by all media, including much of the liberal (left-wing) media.

Such disinformation isn’t honest reporting nor even editorializing, it’s mere fabrication & propaganda.

Old 22-01-2009, 06:48   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I donít mean to characterise the media as right-wing. Obviously, different outlets have different perspectives, biases, editorial positions, and agendas.

I believe that the prime sources of this particular mis-representation of the psuedo-facts have been the conservative (right-wing media, as represented by Fox, MSNBC, Newsmax et al) - thoí the issue his been woefully under-researched by all media, including much of the liberal (left-wing) media.

Such disinformation isnít honest reporting nor even editorializing, itís mere fabrication & propaganda.

I probably mis-read. Are you saying you view MSNBC as being right-wing?
If so, I respecfully disagree and will leave it at that.
Old 22-01-2009, 07:05   #101

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
I probably mis-read. Are you saying you view MSNBC as being right-wing?
If so, I respecfully disagree and will leave it at that.
I agree with Gord. Are major corporations liberal in their policies? No. Well look who owns all of the media....

In 1983, 50 corporations controlled the vast majority of all news media in the U.S. At the time, Ben Bagdikian was called "alarmist" for pointing this out in his book, The Media Monopoly. In his 4th edition, published in 1992, he wrote "in the U.S., fewer than two dozen of these extraordinary creatures own and operate 90% of the mass media" -- controlling almost all of America's newspapers, magazines, TV and radio stations, books, records, movies, videos, wire services and photo agencies. He predicted then that eventually this number would fall to about half a dozen companies. This was greeted with skepticism at the time. When the 6th edition of The Media Monopoly was published in 2000, the number had fallen to six. Since then, there have been more mergers and the scope has expanded to include new media like the Internet market. More than 1 in 4 Internet users in the U.S. now log in with AOL Time-Warner, the world's largest media corporation. In 2004, Bagdikian's revised and expanded book, The New Media Monopoly, shows that only 5 huge corporations -- Time Warner, Disney, Murdoch's News Corporation, Bertelsmann of Germany, and Viacom (formerly CBS) -- now control most of the media industry in the U.S. General Electric's NBC is a close sixth.

Its like, having only three major sailboat manufacturers to buy from.

http://lat43north.blogspot.com
Old 22-01-2009, 07:51   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Like I've said, there should be no politics that are not boating related in this forum...

BTW, the line of succession puts Hillary in 4th position, not second:

VP
Speaker of the House (Pelosi)
President pro tempore of the Senate (Byrd)
Secretary of State (Hillary)
Old 22-01-2009, 08:06   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbsailing View Post
I agree with Gord...
Please don't break with a longstanding CF tradition.

PS: I don't want to characterise THE media in anyfashion.

Old 22-01-2009, 08:08   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Like I've said, there should be no politics that are not boating related in this forum...

BTW, the line of succession puts Hillary in 4th position, not second:

VP
Speaker of the House (Pelosi)
President pro tempore of the Senate (Byrd)
Secretary of State (Hillary)

My mistake, although still not a pretty list. Of course, they would all have to be disabled at the same time as the 25th ammendment requires that the new acting president nominate a new VP who would have to be confirmed by the senate and the house.

Anyways, who wants to go sailing? Maybe we can discuss (argue) sail trim techniques?
Old 22-01-2009, 08:09   #105

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbsailing View Post
What's with all this 2nd coming stuff? Do you really think that people who express a feeling of hope, and faith that someone will actually become a leader in that white house, believe that he can do it alone, with the sweep of his pen? Give us more credit than that! It's called a positive outlook. You may not recognize it, as it's been absent from us for a while. About 8 yrs I think.
No, no offence meant, it just appears to me that people are hanging way too much, and possibly unrealistic hope on one man. He is an amazing speaker and that showed in his inauguration speech. Of course the media has done nothing to temper the expectations, I am just afraid that if hope is too high, expectations may not be attainable.

I am sure he will be a very good President, but people seem IMO opinion, to think he is going to single headedly create world peace and stamp out hunger in his first few days in office.

If he does manage to really get the economy going, some of what seems to be $$$ gouging and tightening of regulations on Cruisers will lighten up. The Army Corp of Engineers might even get enough $$$$ to get back into some big dredging of the ICW. That would be a huge plus for current and future sailor/boaters.

Thatís it. My apologies for ruffling any feathers. This is still a very positive step I think, time will be the true test.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: